I need help with tire sizes.

Ronnie

I need new tires on my car and I need help determining if the following wheels and tires will fit without rubbing.

I have found a set of 2005 Mustang GT wheels that look great and have almost new 235/55/17 Kumho tires on them. I can get them at a very good price. I can get tires and wheels for much less than the price of new tires.

My Mustang wheels that I've been running have 225/55/17 tires so I know they will bolt on. I have to somehow determine if the slightly bigger 235 tire will have enough clearance. Does anyone know?

I can't drive my car to try them because I have one tire that has tread separated and about to blow out.

The reference point is the 215/65r15 that came on 88-90 Reattas were 26.0 in in diam, circumference of 81.7, and 776 revs/mile. The 1991 Reatta had 215/60r16 and its numbers were 26.2 dia, 82.2 cir, and 771 revs/mile. If you stay within these specs (+/- 5%) your speedometer will be off, worse case +/- 3 mph.

The 235/55 r 17 numbers are 27.2 dia, 86.8 cir, and 742 revs/mile or about 4.4% off.

The 225/55r 17 numbers are 26.7 dia. 84.0 cir and 754 revs/mile .... 2.8% off , this is the better choice.

An even better choice would be 225/50r17, 25.9 dia, 81.2 cir, and 780 revs/mile.... .6% off

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Ronnie as we know the Reatta has a wheel size of 5x115 with a hub size of 70.3 on a 15" wheel

My wife has a 2004 Chrysler300m with a wheel size of 5x114.3 and a hub size of 71.5 on a 17" wheel. Tire size is 225/55 r17

I don't think they will fit even to check for clearance but if you think they might let me know.

I just found a great website for bolt patterns, hub sizes and offsets. It is called www.myboltpattern.com

You will have to enter 1992 Buick Riviera as it doesn't go farther back...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Ronnie, the 16" Mustang tires are a good size.......235/55r16 is 26.2 dia, 82.2 cir and 770 revs/mile, very close to the originals.

Just a personal opinion, I would not put the Mustang wheels on a Reatta. I was trained as a mechanical designer, worked in manufacturing for 38 years and the difference in the 115 mm and 114.3 mm bolt pattern to me is unacceptable. When converted to inches, it amounts to .028 inches, not an issue when dealing with horse shoes, but when on your car running at 70 mph, I would not be able to drive the car, knowing the bolt pattern was off that amount..... and the lug nuts were not properly seated because of the difference.

Each owner can make their own choice, but I do not want new discussion members to think that we are recommending the use of the wrong wheel on their Reatta.

Ronnie, I tried my wife's wheels on my car. They do fit but there is about 1/2" clearance to the shock tower. There might be more with the Mustang wheel but that would depend on the Mustangs whel offset...

The tire I tried was a 225/55r17 Michelin Energy plus mxv4

Thanks Dave and Barney. It might turn out to be moot point. The seller called this morning and said he had another interested party coming to look at the tires and wheels. Even though they are being sold on a first come - first served basis, he told me he would hold them for me until this afternoon if I wold give him my word that I would buy them when I got there. I couldn't agree to do that not knowing for sure they would work. I told him to go ahead and sell them if he could. I expect them to be sold today.

It's not a big let down for me. After the comments by Dave and Barney I'm wondering if buying another set of Mustang wheels is the correct thing to do. I really like the looks of them but maybe I should be looking for wheels with the correct bolt pattern. I like a lot of the Buick and Cadillac wheels/tires just as well but I've not stumbled onto a great deal on them.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice!

Problem area for a 27" tire would be the front spring tower & nobody has mentioned the wheel width/offset (usuall cast into the back of the wheel.

Might also rub the wheelhouse liner so check at full lock (worse with a lower (e.g. 38mm) offset wheel.

I run 225x60x16s (26.5" tall) on 16x7x46 wheels and you cannot get a finger between the tire and the spring base over the tire.

post-31022-14313919296_thumb.jpg

Ronnie, my mom drives a 2001 Buick Regal with the 9 spoke chrome wheel with a center cap similar to the Reatta. I really like them until I found the ones I bought. I was on line and hwy 70 auto [in Kingston Tn.] has one in stock for you to look at. Then if you like it go to car-part as they are going for cheap. You can buy A-0 grade [should mean almost perfect] for as little as $38.00 each [plus freight]. and you should be set. These are 16" rims correct bolt pattern and will go right on. Also you can do a little magic and substitute the Reatta logo emblem for the Buick Tri shield [if you want]

Thanks again Dave. Although hwy 70 runs through Kingston, TN where I live, unfortunately, it also runs through Kingston Springs, TN where Hwy. 70 auto is located 166 miles away. I'm watching Tennessee get a good whipping right now but I intend to do some more checking on wheels when Georgia gets done kicking their butt. :)

BTW the difference between 5x115 and 5x4.5 (114.3) is .0276" on the diameter. This translates to .0138" (say a matchbook cover) on each lug. I have not felt the need myself but have heard of many who have had no problem and a few who experienced vibration. Have not heard of any catastrophic failures.

I would suggest torquing down crosswise in stages to say 80, 90, 95, 100 lb-ft.

Guest Mc_Reatta
Thanks again Dave. Although hwy 70 runs through Kingston, TN where I live, unfortunately, it also runs through Kingston Springs, TN where Hwy. 70 auto is located 166 miles away. I'm watching Tennessee get a good whipping right now but I intend to do some more checking on wheels when Georgia gets done kicking their butt. :)

Dave must be looking at the maps in the new Apple iphone app. :cool: Or maybe he still hasn't gotten his eyesight back from watching all the replays of that Seahawk's "catch" in the end zone last week. :mad:

You are talking to one of the most directionally challenged person ever. I would expect Kingston to be named after Kingston Springs [or vice versa] and be near one another. Silly me...

My phone? An old fashioned flip phone. Makes and recieves calls and takes pictures. That's about it...

The Packers were the victim of poor eyesight, not me I could see that interception from 1800 miles away...

Guest Mc_Reatta

Ronnie, think you really need to look at that tire to spring mount perch gap Padgett points out. The tires your looking at are 1.5 " taller than the 16" Mustang wheel and present tire your running now and .54" taller than what Padgett is running. That means you will shrink that tire to spring gap by .75" from what you have now, and Padgett's "less than a finger width gap" by .27" That's cutting it pretty close. I'd get a block of something like a piece of 3/4 plywood and place it between the tire and that spring perch on both sides and see how much play is left before buying that combo. If it passes that test, I think you'll probably be OK with offset as tire will be .4" closer to liner and suspension assuming both Mustang wheels have same offset. Might try the Padgett "finger check" between tire and wheelwell liner at full lock. If your finger fits thru, tire shouldn't rub.

I can now say with certainty that 2005 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55-17" tires will not fit an '88 model Reatta. They will bolt on but there is only 1/8" between the tread and the spring perch on the strut. That's not acceptable. Also they rubbed the cradle in the rear when turned to full lock. Another unexpected small problem, that could be resolved, is the center cap will not snap in all the way because of the end of the axle sticking out. (see photo)

I still like the way the Mustang GT wheels look but I will have to continue looking for something else.

The good news is a Mustang buddy of mine came over to look at them, gave me back the money I paid for them and gave me $50 for gas. All I lost in the deal was my time going to get them.

Thanks to everyone who offered your help and suggestions on using the Mustang wheels.

SAM_0895.JPG

SAM_0892.JPG

Agree with Padgett that "some" clearance should be enough. The only possible fly in the ointment is the angle of the strut to the hub mount is adjustable for alignment purposes and may change that clearance slightly. I have not experimented to see how it changes but I know the tilt (camber) of the wheels can be changed where the strut connects to the hub mount.

I like a little negative camber particularly in the front and have found that radials can accomodata a degree to a degree and a half negative. Looking at the geometry, that might increase clearance slightly.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm still looking and hoping to find wheels with tires already mounted on them at a cheap price. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

Here in the East Tennessee the Fall of the year when the leaves change to the beautiful colors is the most enjoyable time for cruising through the mountains. I don't want to miss that so I will have to do something soon.

Guest Mc_Reatta
Are there any problems with running 225/60-15 on stock Reatta wheels?

They are just a tad lower and a tad wider than stock. Almost identical to what your 16" Mustang wheel/tires are. Speedo will be slow by 0.9 mph at 60 vs stock vs the 0.4 mph slow your current tires are.

So you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks Mc_ and Rawja. I thought they should work but it's always good to know first hand that someone else had done it without problems. If I don't stumble on to a deal on some nice wheels with tires already mounted I'm just going to buy new tires for my stock wheels and call it a day.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help.

Looking at TireRack, 6" is the minimum for a 225x60. You will probably never have to worry about curb rash is the best I can say for them. personally consider 7" to be the narrowest I'd use for 225x60s (& would prefer 8s). For racing I always looked for a rim the same width as the tread but for street a bit less is OK.