Moxie Tasting at Hershey

Bill Boudway

Get your taste buds in shape for the 3rd annual MOXIE tasting.

Thursday afternoon, October 11th, 4:00PM at Space # C2I-44 in the Chocolate Field.

New this year will be a chance to identify the taste. Possibly a prize for the most creative answer.:opost-30916-143139178693_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but we're not allowed to sell any beverages in the flea market.

I have seen this thread the last couple of years; and I have heard about Moxie; guess it's a love it or hate it type of thing.

Don't want to crash any parties, but is this something that is "open to the public", so to speak? ;)

Also, I understand about not being allowed to sell stuff, but are "donations" allowed, to re-plenish the supply, after all...?

Might hit the spot after slaving all day over a hot swap meet!!

I have seen this thread the last couple of years; and I have heard about Moxie; guess it's a love it or hate it type of thing.

Don't want to crash any parties, but is this something that is "open to the public", so to speak? ;)

Also, I understand about not being allowed to sell stuff, but are "donations" allowed, to re-plenish the supply, after all...?

Might hit the spot after slaving all day over a hot swap meet!!

Hi, Yes, all are welcome. See you there. No donations asked. Don't want to offend the HERCO folks.

Edited by Bill Boudway (see edit history)

Besides being bottled and sold as Moxie, they also sell it by the drum. It's a red drum with yellow labels and they say SAFETY-KLEEN on them.. The only difference is while Moxie tastes like SAFETY-KLEEN it will not remove geese or crud off your parts. Ed.

Get your taste buds in shape for the 3rd annual MOXIE tasting.

Thursday afternoon, October 11th, 4:00PM at Space # C2I-44 in the Chocolate Field.

New this year will be a chance to identify the taste. Possibly a prize for the most creative answer.:o[ATTACH=CONFIG]154320[/ATTACH]

Sorry, but we're not allowed to sell any beverages in the flea market.

Remember to wear your Orange, here is a shot from 2010

post-30764-143139185375_thumb.jpg

I know we have had the deer sausage and cheese in the past but I was thinking maybe some Corn Nuts would go with Moxie.

No body likes them but if they are there you can't help but eat them.

I like them. But my 61 year old teeth are not that fond of them anymore much. I have three crowns now. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Bill: Do you supply this stuff to Dietrich's in Kutztown, PA (www.dietrichsmeats.com</SPAN>)? We always stop there as part of our annual Hershey pilgrimage, and I'm sure I usually see it there.

Growing up (1960s Middletown, CT), I lived across the street from a farmer who had a small side business supplying social clubs with soft drinks, and as I recall, one of his specialties was Moxie.

I am not sure I've ever tried any--I'll try to watch for you next year.

Hershey Moxie Tasting Update

Thursday, October 11th, 4:00PM, Space C2I-44

From a rough tally, we had over 40 brave souls show up for the 2nd annual Moxie tasting on Thursday afternoon.

We observed only one lady who declined to finish her sample. At the other extreme, two young folk asked for refills.

Save the date for the 3rd annual: Thursday, October 10, 2013. Same time and place.

Folks on the first photo: Jay Wolf, Vincennes, IN, Getta Chang, Birmingham, AL, Dave Krieg, Dubuque, IA, Bill Boudway, Canandaigua, NY, Gerald Greenfield, Seattle, WA, Tom Harris, Salem, OR, Eric Miller, Los Angeles, CA, and Adrian Taylor, Seattle, WA

On the third photo: Rick Hayford and Ken from Cape Neddick, ME

post-30916-143139228677_thumb.jpg

post-30916-143139228682_thumb.jpg

post-30916-143139228687_thumb.jpg

I thought I had it timed about right to stop by this year but passed by about 45 minutres early. Was back at my space with my feet up at the proper time and couldn't convince myself to get my feet back under me.

I had Moxie about 40 years ago and liked it, tried again about 20 years ago and didn't, was looking forward to a tie breaker.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest rickauf

I had it in Maine at Flo's "famous Hot Dogs route 1) last summer. tastes like cough syrup mixed with Ipecac.... but had to drink it for pride as the older New Englander lady told me I 'couldn't handle it"! :)

I will be there!

Guest red dogs
Hi,

Yes, there will be MOXIE tasting again this year.

4:00 in the afternoon, Thursday, Space C2I-44 IN THE Chocolate Field.

Be there!!!

PS to red dogs; If you bring the jelly, I'll have crackers to serve.

Bill, I'll be there with the jelly, it's all packed and ready to go!!

post-30916-143142235961_thumb.jpg

The driving rain and cold wind couldn't stop the traditional, fourth annual, Moxie Tasting at Hershey on Thursday October 10th. Folks from Oregon, Indiana, Iowa, and Maine.

The attendance was down from last year, but the hard core followers showed up at 4:00 in the afternoon, about 14 folks.

The quest continued to revive the original taste. The addition of a dollup ot two of apertiif added an interesting taste, but the judges concluded that it didn't do the job.

Last year, we tried a small shot of bitters, but no luck there, either.

Thanks to Red Dog who brought Moxie jelly from Maine.

Yes, we have photographic evidence of the landmark event. The photos:

John Wissink's Mixiemobile from Michigan; Bill Boudway and Rick Hawford at the banner; Flea market find, Moxie sheet music, and Moxie jelly from Red Dog from Maine; Tom and Paula Hartz giving it a taste; The set-up, including the "secret" ingredient to bring back the lost original taste; The faithful, Dave Krieg, Stan Smith, Bill Smith, Rick Hayford, Eric Miller, Tom Harris, Jay Wolf, Ken Davis, Brad Glover, and a few curious onlookers. (Sorry if I missed someone)

Mark your calendars for next year: Thursday, October9th, 4:00PM, Weather: sun and a light breeze!!

Meanwhile, get your voice tuned for the Moxie Chorus. Copies of the sheet music from Bill Boudway 105 Deerfield Dr. Canandaigua, NY 14424-2409

post-30916-14314223593_thumb.jpg

post-30916-143142235942_thumb.jpg

post-30916-143142235947_thumb.jpg

post-30916-143142235952_thumb.jpg

post-30916-143142235956_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
Hi,

Yes, there will be MOXIE tasting again this year.

4:00 in the afternoon, Thursday, Space C2I-44 IN THE Chocolate Field.

Be there!!!

PS to red dogs; If you bring the jelly, I'll have crackers to serve.

I had to read up on it, sound very interesting. If there no Continuing Judge class i want to try to make it.

Guest red dogs

Hi Bill,

I am planning on picking up some jelly this weekend, good excuse to take the '41 Chevy and the dogs for a ride. Will see you in Hershey!!