car lifts

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

Anyone familiar with Auto Lift brand car lifts? I am wanting to get a lift and it appears they have a model which will do the job for less than $2000. Or any other suggestions?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Can you provide a link? Since their brand name is so generic it doesn't Google well. Take a look at Greg Smith Equipment. I don't own one but I studied them thoroughly before my recent lift purchase and if I hadn't found a lightly used Rotary for the same money nearby, I was ready to go that direction.

Guest MidTNDawg

Walter, Google best buy automotive equipment They have several brands available. I will look at Greg Smith Equipment Thanks

Their site has a lot of options on it and you haven't stated exactly what kind of lift you're shopping for. One piece of advice I'd give you is to ask them how the safety factor was calculated for the models that interest you. Quite often with things like this you'll find a U.S. made 9,000 lb. lift will be on par with an 11,000 lb. Chinese unit, so you're not always comparing apples-to-apples when going with the manufacturers stated rating.

Guest MidTNDawg

Walter, good advice and good questions. But may I ask exactly how I am to ask the question about safety factor? From your first reply I am going to ask what the country of manufacture is, but how do I ask about how the strength calculation is done. Are all of Greg Smith's lifts made in the USA? They appear to have more than one brand also.

Guest MidTNDawg

Bob, the listings state the lift(s) I am interested in buying are certified. But I cannot recall and failed to look at who the certifying org. is. Not all of the lifts show being certified.

Walter, good advice and good questions. But may I ask exactly how I am to ask the question about safety factor? From your first reply I am going to ask what the country of manufacture is, but how do I ask about how the strength calculation is done. Are all of Greg Smith's lifts made in the USA? They appear to have more than one brand also.

Just ask the sales rep what the factor of safety is. If they are knowledgeable about their product, they should know. This is for a much bigger unit than you're shopping for, but you'll see it expressed like this:

"3. Design Load Factor of Safety: 3:1."

You can reference what I was reading here at 2.17 C to familiarize yourself how technical specs are called-out. That's just an example that I Googled quick-and-easy.

Greg Smith might be carrying other brands now. I haven't looked recently. I believe most of theirs are made overseas. That safety factor number is what you want, though, regardless of where it is made. That's what's going to allow you to do an even comparison.

Instead of going with a cheap Chinese lift why not check out Craigslist for a good used, dealership quality lift?

Just picked up a Challenger 9k 2-post and 7k Grand 2-post from a new car dealership which closed when GM was reducing its stores a few years ago. MADE IN USA. Price was very, very good and since the dealer was only a couple years old the wear was fairly minimal.

While negotiating with the seller, I found several others on CraigsList for very reasonable price, averaging $1200 but some as low as $600 (need to sell NOW).

Doug, I bought my lift from Greg Smith and was very satisfied with their service and the lift itself--the best old car purchase I have ever made IMO.

It is Chinese but it is also a four post, which worries me less than would a Chinese two post. Most guys would say they prefer a two post for functionality but the four post does not generally require any concrete work or even being bolted to the floor. Mine is movable on casters (included) and plugs into a standard 110V plug, all of which is more hobby-oriented than professional but works for me. Good luck with yours, your back will thank you :) Todd C

Doug, I bought my lift from Greg Smith and was very satisfied with their service and the lift itself--the best old car purchase I have ever made IMO.

It is Chinese but it is also a four post, which worries me less than would a Chinese two post. Most guys would say they prefer a two post for functionality but the four post does not generally require any concrete work or even being bolted to the floor. Mine is movable on casters (included) and plugs into a standard 110V plug, all of which is more hobby-oriented than professional but works for me. Good luck with yours, your back will thank you :) Todd

C

Todd, I will be looking for a lift. Is yours considered a stacker? I need one for work and car storage. If you've had it for a while and are satisfied what brand name is it?

Don

Hi Don, yes, it is suitable for storage too. I have had mine for 4 or 5 years and got it from www.gregsmithequipment.com . Shipping cost must be added, I see their Phoenix office is the closest to you. I think mine is a Direct Lift 9000S, an upgrade from the standard model as my thinking was in line with the comments above that it would be a good idea to upgrade when buying a Chinese lift. I am not sure that really was necessary as it has never shown strain even with my 3/4 ton truck. Also the 9000 has 8ft tall columns that will mean your entry door must be tall enough to accomodate. I paid extra for their people to assemble and install it even though they say the owner usually does.

As you ask the four post is suitable for stacking cars and three (thin plastic) drip trays are included to protect the lower car (Pontiac rear mains you know). Easily removable casters are included for movability within your shop and you plug into any 110V outlet. Lifting from the ground to working height takes maybe 45 seconds or so. I have had no problems of any kind.

The only drawback is jacking the car while on the lift for access to wheels and brakes. The jacking tray mentioned is a slding, heavy steel platform between the rails and you can use a bottle jack and stands. It has not been a problem for me but they sell a pneumatic "bridge jack" that slides between the rails and would be a much more graceful way to go. Having a lift has been really great--it is nice to not dread and put off repairs under the car but be ready to put it up in the air on a moments notice. Write with any questions and good luck, Todd C

post-31304-143139089105_thumb.jpg

post-31304-14313908912_thumb.jpg

Bob, the listings state the lift(s) I am interested in buying are certified. But I cannot recall and failed to look at who the certifying org. is. Not all of the lifts show being certified.

Personally I would not stand under a lift that was not ETL & ALI certified. You can google around for more info on certification. Usually the lift ads show a thumb nail of the sticker. The Auto Lift brand ads that I see showing their under $2000 lifts don't show the sticker. I bought a BendPak 9,000# lift about 6 years ago. It's certified and cost about $2,300 at the time. It says made in the USA but you can never be sure these days. I've been satisfied with it and have had no problems lifting my Dodge Ram 2500 diesel pick up tow vehicle. That said, I'm not a commercial operation using it every day. If I were I would go with a Mohawk or Rotary unit..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Hi Don, yes, it is suitable for storage too. I have had mine for 4 or 5 years and got it from www.gregsmithequipment.com . Shipping cost must be added, I see their Phoenix office is the closest to you. I think mine is a Direct Lift 9000S, an upgrade from the standard model as my thinking was in line with the comments above that it would be a good idea to upgrade when buying a Chinese lift. I am not sure that really was necessary as it has never shown strain even with my 3/4 ton truck. Also the 9000 has 8ft tall columns that will mean your entry door must be tall enough to accomodate. I paid extra for their people to assemble and install it even though they say the owner usually does.

As you ask the four post is suitable for stacking cars and three (thin plastic) drip trays are included to protect the lower car (Pontiac rear mains you know). Easily removable casters are included for movability within your shop and you plug into any 110V outlet. Lifting from the ground to working height takes maybe 45 seconds or so. I have had no problems of any kind.

The only drawback is jacking the car while on the lift for access to wheels and brakes. The jacking tray mentioned is a slding, heavy steel platform between the rails and you can use a bottle jack and stands. It has not been a problem for me but they sell a pneumatic "bridge jack" that slides between the rails and would be a much more graceful way to go. Having a lift has been really great--it is nice to not dread and put off repairs under the car but be ready to put it up in the air on a moments notice. Write with any questions and good luck, Todd C

Thanks very much Todd, I plan ( If everything works out ) on making it a drive-thru. I would expect that extra ramps will fit to the front. I would love to have the sliding built in jack-a bit pricey though, I will most likely just order the steel plate for jacking.

BTW, your 57 & 63 look great! I envy all that room you have!

D.

That would work fine, you would just need to order another set of ramps-- they would interchange on both ends. The jack plate is included btw.

I am about to move and will have a smaller shop but intend to take the lift and have a high enough ceiling to use it. Keep us posted on yours, Todd

Guest MidTNDawg

Glad I came here. (I am a member of Dodge Bros.) A lot of good info. Looks like I will be spending a little more money, but that is fine. Actually I was already looking at the more expensive lifts but lifts which are ETL / ALI approved. I guess I am not very good with Craig;s List. Maybe too impatient to navigate all the states. Thanks for the help.

Glad I came here. (I am a member of Dodge Bros.) A lot of good info. Looks like I will be spending a little more money, but that is fine. Actually I was already looking at the more expensive lifts but lifts which are ETL / ALI approved. I guess I am not very good with Craig;s List. Maybe too impatient to navigate all the states. Thanks for the help.

BTW, I opted for an extra wide two post lift. If you have the room it makes it soooo much easier to open the doors on the lift. Good luck and stay safe..................Bob

Well Doug, just to recap a little the four post gives you:

No need for any concrete work, it is more stable yet allows you to move it if desired

Can store another car underneath if you have the height

Easy and quick to drive on and easier to open your car doors

Buy a Mohawk brand.

In my opinion, they are the best.

Made in USA.

Tom

I bought a used Mohawk A-7 and love it. Reason I went with Mohawk, they carry a 5 yr. warranty. That convinced me it might be safe to stand under it while working on my 2-ton + '55 Caddy!

Well Doug, just to recap a little the four post gives you:

Can store another car underneath if you have the height

How is this an advantage over a 2-post? I ask as my lift stores one car up in the air, and another underneath it.

My buddy with a two post lift has been calling me for years when he puts a car on his two post lift,

saying "he only had to get down on all fours 8 times every time he lifts a car."

1 Check each corner X4

Lift a little

2. Check each corner again X4

That's 8 times if all goes well!

He say's "get a four poster and just drive on, and lift."

That's my plan.

Paul

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spelling (see edit history)

Just go for the gusto and put in one of these

Those are nice if your "gusto" includes the financial means, a place to put it and installation is not cheap. You can't move them and you have to have a compressor capable of operating it (more$$$) They also have drawbacks. If you need to work on the engine or diff, it's in the way unless you have a set of $$$ tall stands (pain in the butt factor). They all have pro and cons. I use a mid-rise scissor lift as that gives me total access to suspension. Not much to do under an Amphi. :) It really depends on where you can deal with the interferance factor.

Two post above ground are in the way of the doors, 4 post are in the way of suspension, single post in-ground are in the way of the center of the car. Scissor lifts don't go high and cover the center of the car.

In ground can be very dangerous if you blow out a seal. I witnessed a co-worker at a Cadillac dealership I worked at years ago get crushed when a seal blew out (2 yr old commercial lift). He was reaching up to remove a bell housing bolt and the lift suddenly lost pressure and down the lift came with Geoff's arm pinned between trans and firewall (he had a trans jack on the trans). So "no thank you" for these types. George McCaddon (owner of the dealership in Boulder, Co) removed all 8 after that and replaced them. There is a reason few places have the in-ground types any longer. My bay had an in-ground 2 post too. One day a new guy took it upon himself to lift a customer's new Caddy Eldo in spite of not being trained yet. He didn't have it on properly, the front slipped dumping the Eldo onto the RF corner then flipping it onto another customer's new Olds. Yup, that was tragedy avoided. If anyone would have been nearby...

Those are nice if your "gusto" includes the financial means, a place to put it and installation is not cheap. You can't move them and you have to have a compressor capable of operating it (more$$$) They also have drawbacks. If you need to work on the engine or diff, it's in the way unless you have a set of $$$ tall stands (pain in the butt factor). They all have pro and cons. I use a mid-rise scissor lift as that gives me total access to suspension. Not much to do under an Amphi. :) It really depends on where you can deal with the interferance factor.

Two post above ground are in the way of the doors, 4 post are in the way of suspension, single post in-ground are in the way of the center of the car. Scissor lifts don't go high and cover the center of the car.

I just put that out there for a laugh with all the debate going on. It was already in my building when I moved in. Though as with any lift it has its pros and cons, there's no way it's justifiable for regular car work. Capacity is 50,000 lbs. (to put that into perspective, you could stack 10 of those Buick limos and lift them all at once) and the movable column only closes to about 120 in. No compressed air, though. Anymore they all run off a big hydraulic pump.

In a perfect world, we'd all have one of each -- 2-post above ground for driveline work, drive-on for exhaust work and alignments, 2-post side-by-side inground for buffing out the sides of the car. By-and-large, a 2-post above ground is the most practical for all-around everyday work. Aside from the minor limitation on doors opening, there isn't much you can't do with one.

All in all I would say a wide 2 poster is more versatile than a 4 poster. It gives full access to everything with no additional jacking to get at the wheels and almost nothing in your way. It can be used for double deck storage with well placed drip pans. You do have to get down to place the arms but once the car is up the ease of complete access makes it all worth while. Everyone's priorities and needs are different. I would suggest visiting each with a car in the air to get an idea of your needs................Bob

Guest JCharles1898

As far as the Auto Lift i haven't really used it before, but I have used the Bendpak XPR-10A. I actually have one in my home garage and I use it to do repair work in my car from time to time, but is a very good lift and I haven't had a problem with them yet. I actually bought it from JMC Automotive Equipment, and they seem to be extremely professional so I always buy all the adapters that I need for my lift from that website. The website is https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/. Let me know how it goes and let them know that Joe Charles recommended you.

Guest MidTNDawg

"Let me know how it goes and let them know that Joe Charles recommended you."

Joe, thanks. I will do that. Thanks for the info.

• 8 months later...