1938 cowl drain question

Pete Phillips

Working on a 1938 Special. I was under the dashboard and could see what looks like a steel drain tube coming down at an angle from the cowl vent area. Should there be a rubber hose attached to this to direct the water out of the car? And where should the hose run? Thanks in advance for some direction on this.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

There is to be a rubber hose it is L shaped. It goes from that tube through the interior firewall pad and out a hole in the firewall. Mine stick out of the firewall about an 1/8". The hole should be visible on the passenger side of the engine about the height of the head. It's about 3/4" in diameter.

I'll snap some photos if needed. Let me know.

My 37 special is to have one also. It broke off while I was cleaning the firewall. An older BOB's catalog shows a moulded offset hose. I tried to send for a replacement

but they no longer show it available. Steel Rubber?

Larry

1925-25

1937-41

Grandpa:

I have the 2011-12 Bob's Catalog on pg 69 it shows as $18.00ea. I tried to order on their online catalog giving the specifics and no match was found.

I have had to call on several items that still appear in the catalog but not on line. That they say are no longer available. Many still show up on their display boards. I knew I should have asked about them when I was at Concord NC. I guess my brain was scalded from the heat!

Larry

Pete,

The cowl vent drain hose is shown in the current Bob's catalog as part number CD-378 for $17.00.

Grandpa

I've been looking for the same part for my 1936 Century and have looked at Bobs a few times - It seems to be specific to only 1937 & 1941-48 models. 1936 is not listed but I notice now that 1938 models are also not listed.

The part I want certainly looks the same in the illustration but the listing ( or lack of for 1936 ) has put me off ordering one.

Oooops,

My '40 LTD drain for the cowl vent comes out the bottom at about 45 degrees, and there is just a 12" section of heater hose running from the drain, thru the firewall, and it ends just above the intake manifold. Looks like a replacement.

Guess I'll have to go bother my NAPA guys and search for a molded hose, w/ the right kinks.

Mike in Colorado

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest KeithElwell

I was looking for a cowl vent drain hose for my 1936 Buick Mod. 46 Business Coupe also so I perked up when I saw this thread started by Pete Philips. I had occasion to see the 1938 that Pete is working on and I saw that it appeared a same or similar solution would fit that car as well as mine.

I have now located something that works for my car just fine and is not too costly. I bought an emission hose with molded elbow. It fits my cowl vent drain which is 1/2" OD. And the hose just fits snugly thru the hole in the firewall. I pushed the straight end thru the firewall from engine side and pulled thru until it met the drain plus 1" engagement for a clamp. Then measured the excess under the hood, pulled it back out, cut excess from straight end, and reinstalled so elbow comes up close to firewall and points down, then I will clamp it to the drain inside. Only thing I'd like better is more length past elbow on engine side so it hangs down past valve cover. But its pretty good. I got this hose for $11 at Autozone, Dorman "Help" item no. 46033. Thought I would pass this along to the forum in case anyone else wants to give it a try.