Such a shame, generation Y doesn't want to learn to drive.

Shop Rat

Well, Susan- a great number of them have been coddled by helicopter parents their entire lives and see no reason to drive if someone else is there to do it for them. Plus they can't (or shouldn't, anyway) play with their electronica and drive at the same time.

Some of the ones who DO drive would be better served to leave it alone. Many of them scare me with the risks they'll take behind the wheel. Coming home last night on a two-lane road, a pair of young girls in a Saturn were right on my bumper. I sped up twice to put some distance between me and them but they sped up too. They finally passed me on a completely blind knoll where it was impossible to see if a vehicle was coming and sure enough, as soon as they pulled back into their traffic lane, a big pickup topped the knoll. 30 seconds later would have been ugly.

Every morning on the way to work a newer Malibu will ride my bumper for miles until its driver decides to pass- usually on a double yellow, a blind curve or knoll, and sometimes will pass a line of stopped cars waiting to turn left into the plant road. I'm generally traveling 5-7 over the limit and this car will pass me and leave me like I'm sitting still.

Our 15-1/2 year old grandson made his good grades in school, and completed the Louisiana-required, school-authorized Driver Education Course. This included classroom instruction, and was followed by practical driving in "Driver-Ed" cars in city, highway, and Interstate Highway situations. Of course he was driving a tiny modern car.

Once he got his LEARNERS PERMIT he started driving his mom's Ford Expedition, and as soon as we got home from the Southern New Jersey Divisional tour and the Reading, PA Meet in May, he got to drive the 1954 Cadillac convertible around the neighborhood. As he got comfortable with the big Caddy, it was time to get him into the 1941 Cadillac convertible so that he would develop an appreciation for driving a 3-on-the-tree stick shift without the benefit of Power Steering and Power Brakes like he had on the '54.

Next came driving for the entire week on the Sentimental Tour. The kid drove like a pro on curvy, hilly roads, the likes of which he had never seen before from behind a steering wheel. BY the end of the week he certainly had a wealth of experience, and a lot more self-assurance, thankfully without the "bravado".

Following the tour, he became an Apprentice Judge at the Shelbyville "Special" Meet, taking the Judges School, attending the Judges Breakfast, CJE, and serving on the Apprentice Judging Team (thanks - Reed). Now that is one way for a kid to develop an appreciation nfor really good cars.

He seems genuinely interested in cars, trucks, and driving them -- but that may just be genetic -- his grandparents (us) still enjoy taking an old car out for a drive, and inviting friends along, even if it just an excuse to try lunch in an out-of the-way spot.

The kid is away at summer camp, and we miss having him visit on the weekend, so we got the 1930 Packard out, picked up another couple, told them to leave the 'Vette and MGA at home and come ride with us. then the Packard started leaking oil from the Camshaft cover, so we passed by home and swapped for the 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton (convertible sedan) and took a nice ride to Lafitte and Crown Point, Louisiana - delightful towns along Barataria Bay. This area is where the Pirate Jean Lafitte (Hero of the Battle of New Orleans who helped save the city from English Naval Forces in the war of 1812 at Chalmette Plantation) would travel from the Gulf of Mexico. The crew came up Barataria Bay, bringing goods taken from Spanish Royalty. Lafitte and much of his crew were descended from Morano families, forced to flee Spain during the Inquisition, and accepted by France and England. The goods were to be distributed from the Lafitte Blacksmith Shop in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

I believe that if we take kids to a car show - take them out for ice cream in an old car, let them help us tinker with an old car (even if we let them make a mistake), and encourage participation, they will be active in cars in some way, and their friends will gravitate toward in interest in automotive, in adition to electronics

There are exceptions to every rule.

My 23 year old son is certainly into driving. My 14 year old daughter has driven a Model A Ford short distances in an otherwise empty parking lot and we are looking for her first car for when she starts driving.

Well I would like to chime in on this one! I am 24, I began driving at 15 with a few times in a parking lot prior to that. Drivers education and training are a near joke out here for most. I was lucky enough to have a Korean War Veteran teach me how to drive (the guy was in his late 70's at the time). Anyway, I also had a great want to learn how to drive. This was mostly due to the fact that I bought the '66 Mustang when I was 12 and I had been working on it. Also the car gene runs through my family. Anyway, I went and took my driving test the day I turned 16. Now, where am I going with all of this? Well flash forward to this year. My sister, who is 8 years younger fought me on getting a license. Her excuse was that my mom could take her anywhere and that car 'stuff' was too expensive. Anyway, about a month and a half ago I found a 1989 Buick Park Avenue down the street from my grandmothers. It was from an estate and they had no idea what to do with it. So, I got them down to $800 (it is probably worth around $1800 as it sets). But, I told them that it would be my sis' first car and that it would go to good use. I even took my sister with me to prove it. I also let my sis know that she was not just going to be 'given' a car but that the $800 would be a loan and that she would have to help work on it, and be responsible for it.

Our parents who are both divorced and remarried to other people wanted to buy her a car! I told them both nope! I wanted to teach my sis responsibility! Also, a young driver should not be given anything new. Both my mom and dad were not pleased when I took the decision out of their hands! So, long story short, we picked up the car and my sis loves it. Now she regrets not getting her license on time (she is about 6 months behind now). Also, her friends think it is a cool antique car (they are all driving mommy and daddy's honda civics). In addition my sis is learning how to do work (which unlike me she has never had to do at this age). She is mowing lawns, etc. to pay for the Park Avenue. So, it is a good thing all around! But, I understand the story most people between 15 and 30 dont even know how to check their oil. I cannot tell you how many girls my age have boyfriends who dont even know how to perform simple maintenance. I always tell them that maybe they need a new boyfriend, one who is a man and knows about cars! :)

Our Son who is now 22, had no interest in learning to drive, but we insisted! It was mandatory we told him.

When it came time to buy a car (with his money) he really didn't care what it was. We helped him narrow it down to a Ford Taurus, and that's what he is driving today to work and school.

If we had let him have his way he would be bumming rides off us and others when not riding the bus.

Well I would like to chime in on this one! I am 24, I began driving at 15 with a few times in a parking lot prior to that. Drivers education and training are a near joke out here for most. I was lucky enough to have a Korean War Veteran teach me how to drive (the guy was in his late 70's at the time). Anyway, I also had a great want to learn how to drive. This was mostly due to the fact that I bought the '66 Mustang when I was 12 and I had been working on it. Also the car gene runs through my family. Anyway, I went and took my driving test the day I turned 16. Now, where am I going with all of this? Well flash forward to this year. My sister, who is 8 years younger fought me on getting a license. Her excuse was that my mom could take her anywhere and that car 'stuff' was too expensive. Anyway, about a month and a half ago I found a 1989 Buick Park Avenue down the street from my grandmothers. It was from an estate and they had no idea what to do with it. So, I got them down to $800 (it is probably worth around $1800 as it sets). But, I told them that it would be my sis' first car and that it would go to good use. I even took my sister with me to prove it. I also let my sis know that she was not just going to be 'given' a car but that the $800 would be a loan and that she would have to help work on it, and be responsible for it.

Our parents who are both divorced and remarried to other people wanted to buy her a car! I told them both nope! I wanted to teach my sis responsibility! Also, a young driver should not be given anything new. Both my mom and dad were not pleased when I took the decision out of their hands! So, long story short, we picked up the car and my sis loves it. Now she regrets not getting her license on time (she is about 6 months behind now). Also, her friends think it is a cool antique car (they are all driving mommy and daddy's honda civics). In addition my sis is learning how to do work (which unlike me she has never had to do at this age). She is mowing lawns, etc. to pay for the Park Avenue. So, it is a good thing all around! But, I understand the story most people between 15 and 30 dont even know how to check their oil. I cannot tell you how many girls my age have boyfriends who dont even know how to perform simple maintenance. I always tell them that maybe they need a new boyfriend, one who is a man and knows about cars! :)

Just curious, how old are your children, I mean parents?

My 16 year old son loves the cars, is great at detailing the antiques, enjoys shows and tours, has been to numerous Pierce Arrow meets. He has a 1971 Pontiac Firebird waiting for him, and a 1953 Chevy pickup which he's in the process of restoring.

But no license, and the DMV book we brought home for him a year ago is gathering dust, he's in no rush at all to get a license. Heck, I was driving back roads of Louisiana at 12, had my learner's at 14 1/2 and full license at 15.....couldn't wait for the independence....things are different now....