Guest rhead

So, they have discovered aaca.org.

Here is a scam reply I got to an ad:

Hello There, Please advise if you still need items as requested as I

have in stock for sale. And other parts you might need and I will get

back to you. What's your Phone #.

Best Regards,

David Willingham

1 Paragon Square, Town Centre, Hull HU1 3JZ, United Kingdom.

Tel: +44702 401 1960

Hi rhead

I've recently posted so ads, both for sale and wanted and I am coping a hammering for UK (based???) scammers.

They are getting smarter now and it is difficult to work out who is a scammer and who is really interested? I will only accept Paypal in advance of the shipping and only after it has been transfered into my other account so they can't pull back from the transaction.

If anyone else has a better idea of how to accept funds to ensure they are real pleae I'd be happy to hear. Thanks.

Guest rhead

Some things I have learned form other sites I frequent - include phone numbers with ads - legit people will call, scammers don't.

If you are starting with email...ask them a question that'll trip them up - such as "do you have any VW beetle radiator hoses in stock".

Also, ask for references - and you can fudge them too such as - oh, as you are in East West Northingham, you must know George O "Dowd, the president of the Queen Motors Club.. we know each other well, so tell me, has he sold that old Bentley yet? Was it a Super 9 model or an 11 cylinder model??

Also, you can ask them to provide you with their address and then ask them to go to the window and wave, as you have them on Google pictures (satellite mapping)...

I had the same thing happen to me with a want ad for 1935 CZ8 tail lamp lenses. I was hit with several replys from the UK and I ask for photos of the lenses and only one sent pics. They were the wrong ones and were complete lights at a price WAY below their value. I just don't answer aynore and try to keep my purchases in the USA. It would have to be a fellow club member befor I would reply and then I would require several different pics of the parts before I would consider buying.

See that's the problem, these rat bags ruin it for everyone. I'm 1/2 way round the world and if I try to buy or sell something, everyone is sceptical because of these scammers. Of course my problem is I have all thse US cars that you have to find parts for in the US and the only real way to do that is to jump on a plane and come over but really how often can you do that?

If these idiots would just get a real job life would be simpler!

Russell

he had emailed me about a briscoe eng . so i asked for pic's and what told he can not send pic's because .....

and if you look up the place in the uk it looks like a school type roof top .

ask for pic's and info then look at the info in the pic (left click ,last thing on the list ,cut and paste in google ,see wherer it was photoed )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all try this one from France in responce to my "wanted" ad.

Good day Sir\Madam,

I have available Sherwood Carburettor produced by the Sherwood Manufacturer with good condition and affordable price.Am located in Paris France and the Sherwood Carburettor is ready for shipment from France to any part of Australia.Go ahead and place your order so that i can send you more details and pictures of the Sherwood Carburettor from France.

Regards

Dennis

Always ask for specific pictures. The front the back, the inside or whatever. The scammers harvest pix from Google images, etc., so always ask for additional pix that, if it is a scam, they will not be able to provide since they do not have the item.

• 1 month later...

I am in the UK and have shipped approx 15 cars from the USA to England, all this is done on trust and mostly through Ebay. When buying a car I always ask for a phone number so I can call and speak to a human. I also always put the number through google to check if it is flagged as a number known by scammers. I also ask for extra photo's so as to make sure they are sent and from the same car. I don't buy cars from people with low feedback figures and always look to see what they have bought and sold.

Asking questions is always a good way to get a feel for the car, ask technical stuff which only an enthusiast would know.

Also a good thing to do is ask for a picture of the chassis number (VIN)

This is a fun hobby but there are a few out there trying to take the fun out of it.

I placed a wanted advert on here last week for some 1925/6 studebaker fenders and I received a reply from a guy in Ireland, he said he had what I wanted and could send them UPS or DHL, I had to send the money. I asked for a number and he gave me one which I rang and spoke to him, only thing was he hung up when I said I had someone who could come and get them for me and pay on collection. The picture of the car he said they were from was a mint restored car he was so say breaking, upon looking on google the picture, which he said he took that morning, is from a post a few years ago on here.

Is there anyway of reporting the user name of the scammers so that they get blocked from here? He private messaged me and the name was johnH he said his name was John Harrison, his email was johnharry5123@gmail.com and the phone number he supplied was +353212340190 which he answered and it is an Irish number. He sounded foreign on the phone and spoke broken English. On the phone he supplied part of an address but in the email it is a totally different address. Surely we should be able to block people like this from the forum.

Regards

Wayne Smith

Wayne,

This was just reported. He has been banned from the Forum. If you ever get another similar Private Message, you can immediately hit the report button in the lower left corner of the page and the moderators will be alerted to the problem so we can take care of it.