under-hood oil can and holder, Mercer, others?

ersatzS2

EDIT: BUFFUM TOOLS MADE THIS BRACKET, TOP DOLLAR PAID FOR A GOOD ONE!!!

I assume this underhood oil can and holder was outsourced by Mercer, does anyone recognize? It is featured in the parts catalog so this is likely original. The two fingers gripping bottom edge are part of a spring loaded slide that holds the can under tension.

Thanks for any leads!

post-71557-14313897618_thumb.jpg

post-71557-143138976184_thumb.jpg

Edited by ersatzS2
New information (see edit history)

Guest T-Head

An early Duesenberg racing car we take care of has the same bracket, I will look at it in the near future and see if there is a brand name stamped in it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ol-nobull

Hi. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket supplier offering something similar to the can & holder? I thought I saw a post in some forum a not long ago that had a reply about a supplier. I have browsed the web so much lately there is no telling just which site I was on when I saw that.

Jimmie

My old 1915 Buick also came with an oil can and holder as standard equipment. The oil can bracket is listed as part # 19378 and was .20 cents in 1915. The oil can is part # is F2112 and is listed as .35 cents. AC Spark plugs were the outragous price of $1.00 in 1915. :eek: My car was missing the oil can when I got it and I just dug though my oil can collection until I found one that fit just right. Dandy Dave!

Hi. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket supplier offering something similar to the can & holder? I thought I saw a post in some forum a not long ago that had a reply about a supplier. I have browsed the web so much lately there is no telling just which site I was on when I saw that.

Jimmie

Here's the bracket: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1730

Howard Dennis

The original significance of the oil can and its spring- loaded holder, Brandon, is that it should remind the owner to anoint the magneto bearings infrequently but regularly with a couple of drops of oil. Sure there are other points to oil; but the magneto is critical if it suffers trouble through neglect. Some of the Series Sixes were the only Mercers that had coil and distributer ignition. But I have seen these oil cans mounted on a lot of other cars too.

• 8 months later...
Guest ol-nobull

Evidently they are not too easy to find. I was at the Pate swap meet recently & did not see one but the meet was so huge it was easy to miss something like that. The meet spaces was a sellout & over a thousand overflow spaces they created sold out.

What I did find a few months ago for my 46 Chevy was an original used in very good condition radiator overflo can for much less than the repops. Grabbed that one quick.

Hope you find the can & bracket.

Jimmie

Are you sure Mercer used the Buffum product as an O.E.M. part? As far as I know Buffum was one of those companys that produced a lot of "gadgets" for the weekend owner maintenance market. Both my 1918 Packard truck and my 1918 Buick use similar oil can brackets; but not the spring loaded type, more like the ones supplied by Snyder's. Have you seen other Mercers with Buffum spring loaded type brackets? The one you have may be a owner installed accessory from long ago, perhaps to replace an original lost on a bumpy road.

Greg in Canada

Oil can holders are not sitting on every table a swap meets, however they do show up often.

At Hershey this year [2014] the Tool guy under the huge tent right at the bottom of the 'snake' ramp of the pedestrian overpass will have reproduction spring load oil cans.. at least that is his intent.

There are more than one design using a sliding, spring-tension hook or hooks to hold a can securely in place. If I can find time I'll post a photo or two.

GLong

Are you sure Mercer used the Buffum product as an O.E.M. part? As far as I know Buffum was one of those companys that produced a lot of "gadgets" for the weekend owner maintenance market. Both my 1918 Packard truck and my 1918 Buick use similar oil can brackets; but not the spring loaded type, more like the ones supplied by Snyder's. Have you seen other Mercers with Buffum spring loaded type brackets? The one you have may be a owner installed accessory from long ago, perhaps to replace an original lost on a bumpy road.

Greg in Canada

Yep that's always a risk and proof-postitive is tough. However I have seen the Buffum piece on two Raceabouts independently, and the Buffum item is a very close match with the illustration in the Mercer parts manual. So it is an educated guess awaiting more validation...

There were all kinds of variances in the final configuration of Mercers even in period, for example some had seam molding on the bodywork, some had continuous sheet metal (based on period photos) There were probably several different shock configurations. But ultimately the parts manual illustrations provide guidelines that are at least some guidance, so the closer to the picture, the better!

A Buffum on two other cars is fairly convincing. In any event it won't be an expensive item when you find one {at least compared to anything else on a Mercer}; so even if time proves it to be "incorrect" it's not a big loss. I personally love Mercer's but far beyond my means. Enjoy , you are a lucky man!

Greg in Canada