1934 Dodge

Guest Aussie Luke

Guest Aussie Luke

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help with the pictures. They were too big so had to compress them, worked it out in Microsoft Office.

Jas, yes my windsreen winds out and works great.

Ian, please find attatched the pics you asked of me. Hope they help you out mate.

Danielle from Chrysler Historical Servrices replyed today and is looking for information on Dorothy before I send off the application form, very exciting!!

Let you guys know how she goes.

Luke.

post-84270-143138929091_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143138929095_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143138929099_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143138929103_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143138929107_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143138929112_thumb.jpg

post-84270-143138929116_thumb.jpg

post-84270-14313892912_thumb.jpg

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the shots. Shows me what I need to know.

The second shot with the covers removed, I'm after a couple of these plates that go between the cover and the dumb irons. If anyone knows where I can get a couple would help greatly.

I've attached some photos of the complete front window setup. The tape is there because if I remove it I'll never remember how it goes back :eek:

Luke, can you shoot a few shots of the rear of the car. We always see the front but never the rear ! ( don't know if thats good or bad ! )

Ian

post-44589-143138930511_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138930514_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138930516_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138930519_thumb.jpg

That looks like quite a set-up Ian, if you ever in need I can scan you factory photos of the window set-up as well, do you have the 34 parts book?

Hi Jason

There is a two part master parts catalogue. The guy who sold me the car gave me the second book but didn't have the first book with the bulk of the 34 parts. If you could scan that for me it would be much appreciated.

Interesting setup for those days and works too !

Ian, do you mean the master parts book, can you post a photo of the cover of what you do have?

Talked with the 34 advisor for the D.B club tonight and although he was pleasant to speak with he could only guess as to where tools might have been kept, no dedicated storage box like on most of our cars.

I guess I have never noticed how far from the body those bumpers stick out with the spare wheel mounted on the back. Youd have to get really plowed I guess to do some damage

Ok, thats what I thought. Here is what you maybe should be looking for. There were at least a couple of different prints that I know of, this one was done in Sept. 34 and I believe I have one done a few months earlier so something to keep in mind.

Most of the info is the same but often times there are some updates added to the later book.

Once you have one of these you wont need that Master anymore. It has some pretty great pict. of your regulator assy inside which I will post tonight.

You can usually still ( I dont think much longer though ) buy the book on e-bay for next to nothing, 35-50 dollar range.

If you cant eventually or dont want to wait to find it than I can sell you a copy for a fair price.

post-48869-143138931198_thumb.jpg

Could that bumper be for a stacked double spare setup? Is there only one bumper or did they make a different one for a double stack?

Good thinking but I dont think they had a double stacker in 34, nothing I have shows this

Ok guys, heres food for thought.

Here are two pictures.

One of a mates car with a Richards body. Look similar to Lukes.

Have a look at Ken Sobels 34 Dodge with the trunk. Fits nicely with the large jutting out bumper bar dosn't it.

Again, I wonder if its a case of one bumper fits all. Make it for the biggest option and it will suit the rest.

I'm going to have fun with mine as the guy who owned it prior to me modified the bumper irons and fitted a tow bar ! so the bumper looks like its dropped 6 inches down.

Jason, how much do you want for the book ? Its not usually the cost but the postage that kills you ! Very much appreciate the offer to sell by the way !

How weird is that...both owners of the Dodges name is Ken :rolleyes:

post-44589-143138931206_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138931209_thumb.jpg

Another thing of interest to people outside Australia is our number plates. In Victoria for personalised plates its a maximum of 6 characters. 6 will set you back approx $300 +. You can't start with number...i.e. you can't have 1934 DR but you can have DR 1934. I was offered the original four digit plates when I bought the Dodge for an additional $3000. WE had just bought a business and had one child on the way so money was a bit tight.

Four digit plates sell for around $30,000 to $50,000.......not happy !

When my brother needed a first car, I virtually gave him my Austin Cambridge (an early and quite rare car). He thought nothing of selling off the number for some toff to stick on his modern Rolls Royce.

He then got an age related number and thought nothing of it. Insensitive or what?

Ray.

"Toff" - British English slang = A toff is a mildly derogatory term for someone with an aristocratic background or belonging to the landed gentry, particularly someone who exudes an air of superiority. "...A common caricature of a toff - a line drawing with a top hat, monocle, bow-tie and cigarette with a holder - as his calling card." Sounds like "Mr. Peanut"! :D

post-67404-143138931926_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2
added photo (see edit history)

Hello Ian, might be you misunderstood, when I said copy I mean actual copy, I dont really have any interest in selling an original book but I just sent you a P.M of a friend contact information that has one for sale for a very reasonable price.

I looked up bumpers and I only see full-guard listed, ( fullguard versus ?????just drew a blank but the other is a split bumper) 4 pages of bumper info is found within this book. Not enough time right now to get into looking up bumper info and if you purchase this book than you can look it up yourself in a week or so when you get it.

Good luck on its purchase and if you need any help with its purchase I will of course do what I can.

"Toff" - British English slang = A toff is a mildly derogatory term for someone with an aristocratic background or belonging to the landed gentry, particularly someone who exudes an air of superiority. "...A common caricature of a toff - a line drawing with a top hat, monocle, bow-tie and cigarette with a holder - as his calling card." Sounds like "Mr. Peanut"! :D

Sorry, guys. I sometimes forget that you are unfamiliar with some of our, expressions. Believe it or not, in the 21st century, the class system in Britain is still alive and well.

One thing the Dodge Brothers were able to do in your country that they couldn't have done here, is buy there way to the top. (The upper class here is essentially about entitlement through Royal patronage rather than achievement through wealth and power )

Ray.

Bill,

Interesting information on the Dodges.

No sure if you've been reading some of my posts but mine was made a right hand drive in America and sent to Australia. I don't have an X in any of the numbers I have and incidently, my build sheet on the microfilm was gone missing along with 200 odd others. The plot thickens !!!!

Ian

If your car had an X in the model number it woiuld have an engine with a 2.88 inch bore. The X does not mean export, it means export with a 2.88 inch bore engine. The normal 3.25 inch, 3.38 inch, etc. bore engines were exported but the model numbers had no extra letters tacked on to show it was an export unit.

For the British market, both Plymouth and DeSoto were marketed as Chryslers. The DeSoto Airflow was sold as the Chrysler Croydon. The Chrysler Imperial Airflow was sold as the Heston Airflow, with leftover 1934 models dolled up and sold as 1935 and 1936 models.

Chrysler UK models were given unique British serial numbers starting in 1934. Leftover models had the Chrysler Engineering model year letter added to the beginning of the UK serial number and the end of the model number. Thus leftover 1934 CU Airflows became CUL for 1935 and CUM for 1936.

The Kew in the early 1930`s had the 2.88 bore engine and thus had an X in the model number. Late 1930`s models with an X were sold as Chrysler Plymouth 6.

The standard bore engine Plymouths were sold as Wimbledon, with the later years offering a cheaper version as the Kew.

Two interesting British models were the Dodge Custom Eights of 1938 and 1939. They were actually Chrysler Imperial 8 models with a Dodge ram hood ornament and Dodge nameplates. Model numbers were changed from C19 and C23 to D19 and D23. Six 1939 D23 models were built.

British production ended in late summer of 1939 and no production began for 1940 as Britain declared war on Germany at the beginning of September.

By the way, if you own an export Chrysler product, do not expect Chrysler Historical to have the build record. The purpose of the build record was to help the dealer get the correct parts for the customers car. In those days Chrysler would paint body parts if the dealer had no body or paint facilities. The build record would have the correct paint information for the parts warehouse to use as American-built cars did not have the paint code recorded on the vehicle. They were also useful when ordering interior trim.

As most cars exported were either CKD with painting and interior work done in another country or were chassis units with bodies supplied in the foreign market, keeping the build records was not necessary. Every owner of an exported vehicle that I know of has been told they did not have the build record.

Many thanks, Chrycoman, you have added something to my knowlege of what are now very rare British/American cars . I understand that there are only two Chrysler Wimbledons known to exist however this may not be too surprising if they were assembled at Kew in fairly small numbers due in no small part to punitive taxation. I expect there is a book on the subject; I will enquire when I next visit the library.

ray.

Might be you know Cadabers e-mail and you can let him know of the other book, I am having a hard time finding one of his posts to P.M him if he is interested

Jason: Just do a search for the user name just like you would for searching for a post subject. Then you can email him.

Good idea, I was just running out of time at that moment

Now your'e just rubbing it in mate!

Wonderful car in a lovely setting. Think I will emigrate to OZ (if they will have me!)

Was a time you Brits could get there for free -All you had to do was steal something and get caught ! Nice car though isn't it I have a 1934 Plymouth which is currently having its sick gear box upgraded to a 38 Dodge Box-Karl

No offense but Quote.........Was a time you Brits could get there for free -All you had to do was steal something and get caught !..........Now thats funny!!

mine also has the split windows, also I am still looking for the rear vent frames along with the mech. and winders. I have also included a picture of my 33 ply with the auto clutch in it and it worked well when I had the car...along with the original radio which I kept from the 33 ply

post-70464-143138943078_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143138943089_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143138943099_thumb.jpg

post-70464-143138943109_thumb.jpg

mine also has the split windows, also I am still looking for the rear vent frames along with the mech. and winders. I have also included a picture of my 33 ply with the auto clutch in it and it worked well when I had the car...along with the original radio which I kept from the 33 ply

Great looking car, I like that brown, looks like its been there a while, thanks for the pics of the radio

If I met you KLC, I would be only too happy to extend my hand in friendship. I trust you realise that when I said that the about the class system, I was being facetious. These upper class twits are repugnant to me and it is about time they were swept away as an historical anachronism.

Unfortunately, we now have a Government whose front bench is made up of Eton 'old boys' who have nothing in common with the man in the street. This is not a politically controversial statement but a commonly acknowledged state of affairs.

By the way, My favourite uncle is a Canadian who was posted here during WW11; he worked with my Dad, and as engineers, they had a lot in common.

Sorry you had a bad experience. We are not all snobs over here!

Ray.

Quote.......We are not all snobs over here..........Once I figure out what facetious and anachronism mean I will prob. agree with you Ray. :o

Hi Jason, if you think I am guilty of catachresis, then please explain what 'shooting the bullhockey' means because I have never heared this expression before. I am also unsure what 'hookey ass' means but I expect it is not something I should repeat in polite company! ;)

Ray

catachresis=A rhetorical term for the inappropriate use of one word for another

shooting the bullhockey= something that is not important, idle chit chat

hokey ass = Stands for "Hokey Ass Message Board" Which is committed to spreading the gospel of traditional garbage world wide. ;)