Chasing Classic Cars - Duesenberg Barn Find

Dosmo

I think the Duesenberg Barn Find episode is from 2009, but I saw it for the first time recently on my DVR. I know that this is TV, and most, if not all, is scripted. But, this 1933 Duesenberg supposedly received a high quality restoration 45 years ago, was subsequently taken to a few car shows, then parked in a heated garage in 1971. Up to this point, it's all pretty believable. Then, Wayne Carini and the deceased owner's daughter walk up to the garage and open the door to expose the Duesy for the first time in over 40 years. The car, which has been covered, does not even have any dust on it - none - at all. Apparently, when the car was parked, the front wheels were scotched with pieces of split firewood, and the firewood has been there so long that termites have left nothing but piles of billowy shavings. The tire tread looked shiny like tire black had been applied to it. Literally, the car was shiny all over - the interior looked shiny. Just wondering if anyone on here saw this episode - and, if you did, do you wonder about these things. I'll be the first to admit, I've never had the opportunity to look at any car that has been parked in a heated garage for 40 years - but it is hard for me to imagine that the car wouldn't even have any dust on it.

It is the best Vintage Car Show on TV, I sure wouldn't get so picky over details.

Actually I agree with you completely Bob. The Davis episode & the 500k episodes were my favorites. I saw the Duesenberg episode with Johnny Pascucci but I do not believe that is the one we are discussing here.

I don't know enough about Duesies to be able to describe the car, other than to say it was a 4 door open car. It was one of only some 30 odd made in 1933 with a supercharger, although the supercharger was missing from the car. Very beautiful, extremely impressive car - I really liked it.

I do completely agree that it is the best vintage car show on TV - but, if there are any other vintage cars shows on TV that are supposed to be any good, I must not have seen them.

Sure, it's reality TV, with plenty of embellishments - I get that. If noticing that there is no dust whatsoever on a car that has been stored for 40 years - even with a cover over it - if that means I'm picky, well then yes, I'm picky.

It's a little like watching American Pickers - most of the stuff they find is stuff that I may not know that much about, so if they make an error in describing it, I might not realize it. One episode I saw recently had them looking at a 1930s Chevrolet grill. Mike asked the owner what year it was and the owner said 1937. I knew that was wrong the instant he said it. I got on the computer and ID'd it as 1934. That's the same way I felt when that Duesenberg was "uncovered for the first time in 40 years". It might have spent 40 years in the shed, but it was wiped down - and quite nicely at that - when the video for the show was shot.

Hmmm, was it a crummy blue? Sounds like j425, a Murphy conv Berline. Restored in the 1960s by Jack Nethercutt in exchange for the supercharger.

Car was sold in 2010 by Gooding at Pebble and is currently being restored with a reproduction blower.

It was indeed blue - I do recall the term Berline being used and the name Jack Nethercutt was referenced.

I the world of J Duesenbergs I can understand having an original blower on a car that left the factory with one. Does adding one today have a positive effect on the value with everything known about most of them? J-444 is still my favorite restored one, but the unrestored close coupled sedan the Brothers once had is my favorite with a closed body . :)

Hmmm, was it a crummy blue? Sounds like j425, a Murphy conv Berline. Restored in the 1960s by Jack Nethercutt in exchange for the supercharger.

Car was sold in 2010 by Gooding at Pebble and is currently being restored with a reproduction blower.

I the world of J Duesenbergs I can understand having an original blower on a car that left the factory with one. Does adding one today have a positive effect on the value with everything known about most of them? J-444 is still my favorite restored one, but the unrestored close coupled sedan the Brothers once had is my favorite with a closed body . :)

A reproduction blower on a car that was not originally intended to have one is a more or less a push with regard to value. Total cost of acquisition and installation of a reproduction blower is about 120k. I'm assuming that the engine was already rebuilt with the steel rods else you can add another 80k to do the engine.

Historically you would probably get most of that back on resale but today's market is more conscious of originality so maybe not.

In the case of J425, an originally blown car, I think the reproduction blower will be more than paid for by returning the car to it's original configuration.

Attached are pictures of a reproduction blower being fitted to a standard J engine.

post-31305-143138896977_thumb.jpg

"staging" is ok to me, I cannot claim to know Wayne but I have met him, heard him speak to our local region and seen a bit of the show. I think he is passionate about the subject manner, and a true expert - more interesting to me than the staging aspect of things.

The pickers on the other hand, are fun to watch but in our world they are not experts, making basic mistakes on big items like the year of the Plymouth Frank bought and the Model A he bought as well. Really?? The guys deal in related stuff, dabble in cars but cannot tell a '39 Plymouth from a '40 or a '28-'29 A from a "30-31" at a glance? Basic stuff. Watch these guys for entertainment not education.

A.J. regardless of value impact the blower adds a great sound though! :D

I do think that Wayne Carini is a true expert on antique cars - he comes across as being pretty genuine. An aspect of the show I do appreciate is when they take cars to auction that don't do as well as projected, ending up as no-sales. I would imagine that happens quite often in todays depressed economy.

I guess I just need to focus more on the actual content of the show.

I do think that Wayne Carini is a true expert on antique cars - he comes across as being pretty genuine. An aspect of the show I do appreciate is when they take cars to auction that don't do as well as projected, ending up as no-sales. I would imagine that happens quite often in today's depressed economy.

I like the honesty there. You also see him sometimes sell a car for a lot less than he thinks it is worth.

The program is great to watch. Carini is well versed concerning older vehicle. If you have seen the episode with his dad you would find Wayne lived and breathed older vehicles since he was a kid. Some of his show staged? Certainly but it is the nature of this type of program.

I like the honesty there. You also see him sometimes sell a car for a lot less than he thinks it is worth.

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Projections are just that, projections. Watch "What is my car worth." and see those less than stellar projections by the auction house. :)

I really like the show and right now have not seen new ones on Velocity channel on Direct TV for awhile. Hope they have a new season out soon. His specialty is Ferrari's and took his training on working and restoring them when he was younger. I like the idea that there is a variety of cars on the show and he mixes newer foreign cars, still collectable, with older cars even back in the 20's or so. I was surprised several months back when I saw an episode where he had two old Rolls Royce cars he was going to auction off for a customer. As he walked into his garage I saw off to the side a 1930 Durant model 614 that was yellow and I sent him an email to see if it was the Durant taxi cab that is in New England. Within a half hour he personally emailed me back with confirmation. Seems like a sincere and down to earth car guy for sure. I would rather watch his show than the My Classic Car which has headed more towards the Hot Rod appeal on Dennis' show.