Is anyone watching the Barrett-Jackson auction tonight?

Lebowski

i have been all over the place today. I said 20K on the Model A that went for 60K. Then I overbid on the red Nova. THEN I slightly overbid on the Willys--which I think would have been on the money if it had not died on the way to the block. Makes me look bad, we will see how it goes on the Kaiser, Todd C

I've ben watching it every night, and I'm watching it right now. There have ben some pretty good cars this year, and some pretty good deals too. One of my favorites so far this year has ben the green 41 Lincoln Custom Buisness Sedan. While I'm not wild about the color green on that car, for I beleave it was $32,000 it was a great buy. I agree, the most anoying thing about the show is when they talk about nonsence things instead of showing you the car, or when they go to commercial right when a car you want to see roles up on the block. Other than that, its ben a pretty good auction this year. Can't wait till tomorrow night. I want to see how much the Pierce Arrow crosses the block for.

Who in the world is this April chick? shes nice to look at, but I don't understand the point of her being on there.

Josh

Just wondering if anyone does any research or just looks at the photo and grabs a number out of thin air? That's what I do. It's a real crap shot, most of the cars are out of my field of interest.

I have been....I have been pulling previous auction results and looking at photos online since I do not trust the TV....and I might as well be using the thin air method.

For example, the white fiberglass Lincoln "Zephyr", certainly way out of my expertise. I found out the guy had bought it for about $48K two years ago. Certainly it is not worth more now so I said $46K and it sold for...$86K. I should try thin air.....Todd

PS--so after the GTO I am now at 240 points, how about you guys?

Just wondering if anyone does any research or just looks at the photo and grabs a number out of thin air? That's what I do. It's a real crap shot, most of the cars are out of my field of interest.

Hi Bob;

The ONLY way I got to sit here tonight and watch it, was to challenge my wife to guessing the Fantasy car bids and then we enter them with MY bid, instead.

But she had fun and did not ask to change the channel, so it worked!

I should have started entering EARLIER. Only bid on five of the last cars, so far! since dinner, and got right up to 160 points on last four of those five. No research. I just wait for them to show it is coming up "next" and run to the computer fast, picking a number..with a "gut" feeling. First one I overbid, got no points, next four got points by underbidding.

Edited by memaerobilia (see edit history)

Well, Lebowski, 85K was a little high, but real close! Sold for $73K,so you should have some points! Even the movie connection didn't help a sturdy, but plane jane car. Hear the comment about the "bullet holes" were put in the car with an air hammer?

I'm at 170 points now. I went with $85K on the Bonnie & Clyde DeSoto which could go for $50K or $200K since all the rich guys are there tonight trying to impress each other.... :confused:

I groaned out loud when they named it as a bid car since there was no WAY to figure what it is worth. Could go to a movie car museum. Could go to a rich movie fan. But how much nostalgia do buyers have for that movie? Apparently $73,000 worth as I type this--for a car worth about $8000 in real money. Todd C

Guest marlin65

Yes i've watched the B-J circus on and off since thursday. I think it gets more bizarre every year. Frankly I'm tired of red pick-up trucks,resto mods,clones,tributes and wannebe's.I'd like to see the first day (not televised) to see affordable not over restored cars and I would also love to see the high roller cars being loaded on their transports and arriving at their home or warehouse. I wonder how many are actually "bought"?

Personally when I go to a cruise-in or burger joint with my daily driver 64 Corvair I like to represent it as it left the factory. Most non car people see these all chrome engine bays,huge wheels etc and think "gosh I don't remember Dad's car that way".

OK, I know we're supposed to keep this positive, but the announcer just said, about a '66 Malibu with a large engine, "it'll take just about any torque you throw at it"....

What????

You know, these guys seem to know some stuff about muscle cars, but surely, for the money they're paid, the Speed channel could get some more interesting announcers? These guys just spew the words without much thought....(huh, is spew a word?)

Well, Lebowski, 85K was a little high, but real close! Sold for $73K,so you should have some points! Even the movie connection didn't help a sturdy, but plane jane car. Hear the comment about the "bullet holes" were put in the car with an air hammer?

Unfortunately you don't get any points if you overbid which I have been doing a lot lately. As far as the bullet holes go, why not just stick those fake bullet hole stickers on it? They look pretty realistic, don't they? :o

OK, I know we're supposed to keep this positive, but the announcer just said, about a '66 Malibu with a large engine, "it'll take just about any torque you throw at it"....

What????

You know, these guys seem to know some stuff about muscle cars, but surely, for the money they're paid, the Speed channel could get some more interesting announcers? These guys just spew the words without much thought....(huh, is spew a word?)

Spew usually goes with vitriol

Oh, how I long for VARIETY at these B-J auctions! Which, to be fair, you get in something at least approaching a fair quantity of that during the first couple of nights of the auction, but for sure by the time Friday rolls around, without offense to anyone here, it is excruciating the degree of same-old-same-old cars ad nauseam that's on here. Look, I'd love to have a '57 T-Bird, but when I see three of them auctioned off in the span of five or six cars, like I did scanning through on my DVR tonight, well, so much for the spice of life, eh?

As an Oldsmobile guy, I was excited to see that there are actually THREE '62 Starfires in Scottsdale this year, and I was hoping against hope that I might actually get to see ONE of them cross the block in front of the Speed Channel cameras. Silly me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not see even one single Olds of any model go across the block Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday--not even a 442. Tonight, a '71 442 convertible went across just before the halfway mark in coverage, and in the final hour or so, amazingly and finally, a '56 Super 88 convertible was seen, albeit only for about the final minute of its time on stage. From this point out, I'd be highly surprised to see a full-size Olds cross the block, at least on Saturday.

How I'd LOVE to see a Starfire, Toronado, or to mix up other brands, a '60s Riviera or Wildcat, or a Grand Prix instead of a dozen GTO's. I was actually stunned to see that '61 Ford Galaxie convertible that went across Friday evening--would like to see more of the early-mid '60s full-size cars from GM, Ford, and Mopar cross the block.

Instead, I'll see about 50 Corvettes, muscle cars, tri-five Chevies and T-Birds, Hemis, not to mention customs, resto-mods, and hot rods (all of which are one in the same to me, i.e. NOT original. Thank God for the DVR!). Not to slam the original stock versions of the ones I've mentioned here, but how many times do you have to see the same kinds of cars over and over and over again.

B-O-R-I-N-G!

Which I guess answers why April Rose (uh, excuse me, that's MAXIM'S April Rose--guess that's how its listed on her birth certificate) is on there. No argument she's a looker, but her greatest talent was demonstrated on that exercise machine she was on the other night, where her gluteus was shaking to its maximus. Kinda like the halftime entertainment at the Super Bowl--it's for people who are not really interested in watching the event that's actually going on, I guess...

OK, I've done spewed (yes, that's a word, and a good one) enough here! Just wish the focus was on the cars, not the extracurriculars, and would like to see more variety X 10!

Guest DagoRed

At least on the Tuesday thru Thursday programs, I had to FF the DVR about 18 minutes before the first car crossed the block....!! One of those days, the first car crossed the block, followed by another set of numbing commercials plus other fluff that goes with the BJ road show, making the 2nd car crossing the block closer to the 30 minute mark .... Wow!

And they say the NFL is full of commercials/pauses ...... (?)

Here's the Desoto being discussed, I'd have to go back and watch the movie as I don't remember it, there are "bullet" holes in hood and body, made with an air hammer....wouldn't you hate to stand there and poke holes in good sheet metal?

post-31482-143138808791_thumb.jpg

Some of these cars have crossed the block many times over the years, but there are a lot of good new ones I haven't seen this year too. I'm sorry, but I'm tired of seeing all the Mustangs and Corvettes. One of the ones I'm looking forward to seeing is the 33 Pierce Arrow. i say its going to bring some pretty good money.

Josh

post-82531-143138809376_thumb.jpg

I've lusted after one of the original Silver Arrows (they built 5) for a long time, but there are too many zeros at the end of the price.

The one coming up for sale is out of the Blackhawk collection, an older restoration that has (or had) a cracked window glass and a few other defects, but still a beautiful car. I've drooled on it twice in that museum.

Does anyone know when the "5000" series cars are being sold, the Pierce is one of them. Minimum bid is $250K on each car in the group. I can't figure out when they're crossing the block.

The last Silver Arrow sold went for a little over a million, I think they've been asking 1.5 million for this one. Can't wait to see what it goes for and, more importantly, WHERE it goes and to WHO. The last one sold is owned by a gentleman who has toured and showed the car, and he's to be applauded for that...........

Guest cargray

Could not watch at all if I didnt prerecord with the DVR,, I watched 12 hours last night in less than 2 hours, fast foward thru all the junk...They are trying to turn it into a "reallity" show with April Rose, her sideman and the other oddballs..Even had BIG DADDY selling a battery powered top fuel dragster?????

Eariler post hit it right, on all the Mustangs, Corvettes, Clones, Restorods, ect. being so boring..

And a Ford motor in the Darrin???

Regarding misplaced powerplants, hope you missed that beautiful Cord having its Lycoming replaced with a Corvette engine, if I remember correctly (must confess I was trying to forget...)

To their credit, even the Speed Channel announcers expressed more than mild misgivings about that decision...

B-J is all about maximizing exposure, which I have no problem with if done with reverence and respect (as opposed to unfounded hype and self-aggrandizement). I would expect the peak cars to start coming across in the 7-8 PM EST time block, but since there are several, that may be subject to starting earlier this time around. Just a guesstimate...

B-J is all about maximizing exposure, which I have no problem with if done with reverence and respect (as opposed to unfounded hype and self-aggrandizement).

Two things.

First, I vote for "unfounded self-aggrandizement" as the Official Barrett Jackson Phrase of the Day, sponsored by starfireelvis. Wish I would have said that myself!

Second, whoever produced the 454 powered Rolls Royce Phantom III should be required to write "reverence and respect" 10,000 times on the blackboard to keep him away from building any more cars. Just my opinion, Todd C

7 pm eastern time for the 5000 series cars, and somewhere I read that the minimum bid has to be $250K for those cars.

It starts with the low mileage, albeit repainted, Mercedes gullwing from the Blackhawk collection.

The Mercedes just sold for $2 million.... :eek:

I watch the auction the same way I watch sports.I dont think about the money.

I'll never be a professional athlete and doubt I'll ever be buying cars on a Saturday

at this auction.

Doesnt bother me in the least.I enjoy the show,flaws and all.

Pierce Arrow just sold for 2M

Guest straight shooter

I don't understand these auctions, almost everything sells for more than what they are worth. The Gullwing is a perfect example, 2 million for a car that usually sells for $500k-$750k. An amphicar once sold for around 100k when they usually sell for 45k. :rolleyes:

The 31 Pierce LeBaron sold for $120K, a real bargain....one changed hands a number of years ago for $204K......rare car, one of 5 known, and one of the prettiest closed cars out there from that period..... Don Williams of Blackhawk bought it....

The funny thing on the Pierce Silver Arrow for 2 million, last I heard Blackhawk was asking 1.5 and couldn't find a buyer....

The gullwing was just like the 1965 "original" Shelby that sold...it had been repainted, so was a "partial restoration", not original......and the Shelby sold so fast, the announcer who was trying to explain that the engine had been taken out of the car and painted was shut off in mid sentence, so he never got to explain that it was a "partial restoration" also....

Well, I can't believe it...but yet, I can. Let me explain.

Just got done scanning the 11 hours of coverage from B-J on Saturday, and guess what the very final car was that they showed? That beautiful Royal Mist (burgundy) '62 Olds Starfire convertible, that went for $50,000 on the nose. It looked GREAT!

TOO BAD the main announcers at Speed were content to do their sign-offs instead, treating the convertible as an afterthought, with about as much enthusiasm shown towards it as if they were announcing the final two minutes of a 42-7 football game. They acted like they didn't even know what the damn thing was, as the ten seconds of dead silence (I'm absolutely not exaggerating) as the car was being shown offer testament to their sheer ignorance of what the car's significance was and is, only managing to offer another very generic "land yacht" comment. I'm thinking "Damn it, SAY something about it!!!!"

The only semblance of a description of the car whatsoever, was done by--who else--Steve Magnante on stage (no surprise there, hands-down the most intelligent of any of their commentators), pointing out the uniqueness and significance of the aluminum side panels, and how they could be an issue for restoration (uh, that is until JasWest came along, with Steve Westlake producing those sought-after items for all Starfire collectors and restorers).

Granted, time was running out, but after watching this auction for ten years, and seeing for the very first time a '62 Starfire cross the block, needless to say my initial excitement in seeing it and anticipating the commentary about the car, only to see it almost totally ignored, left me with a feeling akin to Charlie Brown thinking at long last, he's gonna have a chance to kick the football, and Lucy pulling it away at the last second.

Aaaargh, indeed!