28ish stutz been in garage since 1968 or so

fornicola

IrfanView HTML-Thumbnails

My dad was the 2nd owner and it's been in his garage for 40+ years. I posted several years ago an initial inquiry about this car but i'm now only a few years away from needing to decide to restore or sell.

I have a good lead and talked to a gentleman in Canada who does restorations but I have a couple questions for you stutz nutz here.

1-From the dozen photographs what's a ballpark value as it sits that I should pay my mom for the car to keep it fair so that my siblings don't think I pulled a fast one on mom.

2- Who else would I be wise to contact regarding possible restoration of this vehicle.

3- Would you go "complete show quality" resoration (ya i know, expensive) or would you make it a "driver" for still a lot of money but less than show quality. I'm leaning toward the high end but open for discussion.

Any information would be appreciated however trivial it might be to you, it's more than I know right now.

tom.fornicola@gmail.com

From looking at the pictures more closely I would argue against a restoration as the car looks to be complete and original. Like I said before, a full profession restoration would be very very costly. I see that Jason is in contact with you. He can give you a pretty good idea of market for your purposes.

Good luck, A.J.

Tom,

With the current interest in original cars, you would probably be better off preserving what you have rather than paying someone to restore the car. A correct restoration will cost much more than the car would be worth after restoration. Most high quality car shows such as the Pebble Beach Concourse have a special "Preservation" class for original cars. I recently bought a 1929 Blackhawk sedan in similar condition for less than $5000. Being a convertible, yours is worth somewhat more. If you want to contact me, send a private message on this forum.

Steve

Hi Tom,

Others have addressed the restoration cost, and I am guessing by now you have a rough idea if what it might currently cost to have someone restore the car.

Since this is a 'family" vehicle, I would encourage you to include your siblings early in the process. If you haven't let them know about your dream for this car let them know now. They may want to include themselves in your dream.

They may have a realistic idea of what the car is worth in its present condition, but chances are they won't. I would recommend tracking the "completed sales" on ebay motors of unrestored, non-running 20's era cars. It has a very sobering effect. Ask them and your Mom what they think would be a fair way to establish a price. They have to be part of the decision. Otherwise, they may think as you stated, you are "pulling a fast one on Mom" (and them).

Remember too, unless you just want to move the car from your Mom's garage to yours, as is often said on this forum, "The purchase price is just the entry fee."

If I have stuck my nose too far into your bussiness, I apologize, and just consider me an old fool.

May your dream come true.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Guest Mark Desch

I recently purchased a 1929 Stutz Blackhawk sedan on ebay that is in similar or better condition than this car. I paid $9,000 for it.

I have been through the "full restoration" process with my 1932 Stutz SV-16 convertible coupe (very similar body to yours) and yes it is very spendy but a fun car to have.

Good luck.

Tom,

It's a wonderful Stutz and a rare example of such a well preserved car. I expect that your family would have more fun with the car by making it into a driver. If you want to show the car, you can list it under the HPOF designation and have fun. Restorations are very time and financially consuming and that is a decision you and your family always can make later. I think getting the car on the road, driving and having fun with it and then determining what you want to do is the a path that I would choose. There are many experts here that can help you preserve the car and assist you with the particulars of the HPOF designation. Best wishes to you and your family with this wonderful Stutz.

If the car is still mostly original than I would vote for preserving it, not restoring it. It will only be original once. It should clean up very nicely except for some minor things. Just replace or repair what it really needs.

This is my opinion and only because I am big on keeping a car as original as it can be if possible. A restored car will never be as nice as an original. You can never duplicate the patina that comes with age.

• 8 months later...