Auto trans oil replacement?

Guest jcc3inc

The video is BOGUS I have never seen tranny fluid that color Black. 100,000 miles on the car the engine compartment looks too clean. That might be the oil drain plug in the video. I do not drive a honda. The video shows black fluid turning red. To do this, fill a funnel with old drain oil, then start running it out the hose, then pour red fluid on top. video this, make it look like the fluid is running,then the change of color? You never see the stream of fluid filling up the pan or bucket,only the draining under the car.

I usually buy it locally from Reynolds Racing & Marine. I buy 6 quarts at a time but it has been a while since I bought any. I just looked at the Klotz website but didn't see KL-930 listed. If you will call RR&M, 865-882-9623, and ask for Junior he will tell you if they still stock it and if not will tell you what the replacement equivalent to it will be. Tell him you want it for an automatic transmission. He knows his stuff and will point you in the right direction. Tell him Ronnie sent you.

Reynolds Racing & Marine

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

The video I posted was a generic tutorial, only meant to show some of the techniques and possibilities. Adapt or ignore. Arguing over minute details defeats the purpose.

If one was to change the engine oil in their Reatta, would they only change half the volume of oil in the crankcase?

Nothing wrong with in inline filter but space could be a problem.

A small filter might not have the capacity based on the volumn of fluid that the transmission generates.

To be safe, I would think a spin on hydraulic filter would be the proper solution IF it is really necessary.

The video I posted was a generic tutorial, only meant to show some of the techniques and possibilities. Adapt or ignore. Arguing over minute details defeats the purpose.

If one was to change the engine oil in their Reatta, would they only change half the volume of oil in the crankcase?

I don't want to sound argumentative but I don't consider failure to change the filter in the transmission as being a minute detail.

The 10 minute flush video, is not showing all that is needed to do the job. Just geting all the tools ready and the replacement oil,drip pans, rags. It is more involved then this video shows. The best part is how he has all the replacement oil bottles are open and ready ,then how he discards the empty oil bottles. All for the show to take 10 minutes.

Make TWO or THREE videos,not a rush job.
I don't understand why you are using the caps as if to shout. This is just a casual discussion about changing oil. There are a lot of differing opinions on how it should be done. The video was just someone expressing his opinion within his allotted 10 minutes.

I gave my opinion, Walt gave his opinion and you gave yours. Differences in opinions is nothing to get upset about. We are all friends here aren't we?

Merry Christmas!

one or two , sorry you take it that way.To express how some one it trying to make the process look how fast they can do it ? I think this video is very miss leading, I see this in a different way. When your having work done,you want it done in the correct way. This speed service shown on this video is not how you want your car serviced. Throwing the oil bottles, you can hear them in the video, what is the rush anyway. Like I say this type of video shows me how not to do this service. I think that if you performed the same as demostrated you would have problems. This is just my thinking and there are others that would agree.

When working on cars, I have learned to be gentle. At the same time many can make videos but few can edit them which creates a problem. With editing, thing like bottle disposal can be done off camera.

Lately I have been watching a show on HD Theater/Velocity called Wheeler Dealers and Edd is very good at what he does, he and Mike make quite a pair, what I consider an essential mix of saleman and technician. Unlike Wayne and Roger, this more a partnership.

True, what they perform as "restoration" is more "prepare for resale" than long term but they have a lot more rust to deal with than I do. (and sometimes magic occurs)

Keep in mind that videos like this are in their infancy while real training is more multimedia with instruction and demonstration. It will improve but right now professionals are more concerned with what makes money and the Internet does not handle microcash well. Yet.

Have always considered myself fortunate that things like this forum can be a hobby and does not need to be income producing, as such I have a lot more freedom than some.

I have been asking a few trusted sources about swapping F type fluid for the Buick recommended stuff Dexron/Mercron. The extra grabbing properties inherent in Type F seems to be a worthwhile consideration. Now I just need to find the stuff. It is becoming scarce.

Interesting Waltmail - please post your findings.

Ronnie,

There was a young man on this Forum approximately 5 or 6 years ago who had a perfect repair procedure for a complete transmission fluid change. He posted the step by step instructions for the procedure. He had a red coupe and was always doing something to the car and posting the results - I think he ever supercharged the Reatta however can't remember for sure. Very nice young man - his family owned a pluming business and he was a senior in high school - if someone could remember his name / handle maybe you could find his tranny fluid change post.....Just a thought.

Nic

Edited by nic walker (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

And I thought my memory was going! :confused: :eek:

His forum name was F14CRAZY real, name Philip Croff.

He was a tremendous asset to the forum. Last post I see for him was in 2009. Still wonder what happened to him.

Here's the thread with his tranny flush method. He later recinded the recommendation to install a drain plug in the pan.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/transmission-fluid-change-222710.html

Interesting Waltmail - please post your findings.

I am reposting this from my original post, #20 this thread. Hopefully this will not become an arguing point again.

The final discovery is about transmission fluid type. You got Dexron, Mercon, Type F, 'Trick Shift' etc. It seems that if you put Dexron in a transmission that requires Mercon or Type F, it dies because Dexron is much more slippery (both have heavy detergent additives). The reverse is not true, apparently. If you put something like Type F in my transmission, which is designed to work with Dexron, the fluid works normally _except_ that with less slippage agents, it locks up more tightly and shifts become more noticable and direct. http://www.a-body.net/forums/archive...php/t-741.html

I spoke about this with 2 hot rod building buddies of mine and this seems to be common amongst the go fast boys. Marketing types at GM like smooth undetectable shifts ( which cause heat and premature failure ) , while engineer types prefer hard positive shifts for better performance and longer life. Type F gives the harder shifts. Those are just some opinions and not to be construed as "facts", although they might be just that. Don't shoot the messenger.

Can this type F be mixed with Dexron or do you have to drain it all out and replace it with type F?

Can't answer that one. My guess is that it wouldn't be much of an advantage to do so, as the slippery fluid will still have a presence, but that is my guess. I have always run type F in my Ford C4s and AODs. Good luck finding 11 qts of type F in one place. I pick up a few at a time in my local Mom and Pop parts store, which wipes out their shelf stock inventory.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Try looking in a large WalMart center for that type F fluid. Back when I had a Ford product and needed it, that's where I found it. It's in their off brand-name oil section in the blue bottles. No idea who makes these oils up for them, but the price is right.

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Reply to my question.

I've heard B&M trick shift is nothing more than type F fluid.

Meh you're not going to hurt anything, it'll just shift a little firmer because Type F doesn't have as many friction modifiers in it.

In fact most shift kit mfr's will recomend you put Type F in a GM trans after adding the shift kit.