Opinions on an interior color change. "Poll"

Guest Rob J

Interior Color change poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Interior Color change poll

• Change to Black Interior
    • Change to Fawn Cloth/Vinyl Interior
    • Redo in it's original Dark Green

This pertains to my white 65 401 car. Originally the car is Arctic White Exterior with the Dark Green Deluxe interior. I will be repainting the car in it's original exterior Arctic White color, but honestly, I'm not too fond of the Dark Green interior. So, I'm thinking of either changing it to Black, or possibly the Fawn Cloth/Vinyl interior. Obviously the Fawn change will be more costly. Black seems like it will be easier to accomplish, as it does worry me in being able to get the proper color dye for the dash, door panels, console, ect for a Fawn color change.

So, should I leave it in it's stock original green color, change to Black, or Fawn Cloth/Vinyl?

Here's a shot of the interior now.

DSCN2923.jpg

Here's a shot of Eric's restored beauty with the Black interior. (I would use the same color wood)

February2606011.jpg

And, here's a shot of the Fawn Cloth/Vinyl Interior that I found online. (Ironically my parts car has this interior, but it is so far dilapidated, I can't really tell how it used to look)

riv1965fawncloth.jpg

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Keeping in mind the rules about opinions...

Green is one of my favorite colors. I'd love for my '64 to be green. But, that green interior is ugly to me. It looks slightly aqua and I can not stand aqua in any form. If it's more green without the blue tinge in real life, then my opinion would be different.

I was mainly looking at the driver's side rear seat when forming this opinion. The front driver's side seat looks darker and more green, less blue. So does the rear passenger side seat. If those are more representative of the actual color, then the green is fine.

I have Arctic White on Black and the black looks sharp to me - hence my vote for the color change to black.

-BEPNewt

Guest ahhh65riv

I think I have to agree. I like the green interior myself. In fact I think I like it better than any other interior color other than black. I would keep it the same color, but if you insist on changing it, go with the black. One thing about black is that on those hot summer days and bare skin can be real torture! Don't go cheap when re-doing your insulation and sound deadner and I hope you've got A/C.

I would go with the fawn, combines very nicely with the white exterior. Black is a too stark contrast for my taste, and the green... well uh is just so darn green.

Here are my opinions: I really like the fawn interior and also the light blue cloth interior would be a nice option against the white paint. The cloth interiors give a bit more of a luxury feel. The brocade cloths that GM used in the 60s and early 70s remind me of my parents "good" furniture in the living room where guests sat. Whereas, the GM vinyls of that era wore like iron and had a bit more of a utilitarian feel. For example, there is a different "feel" when sitting in a 63 Riv which was equipped in leather and a 64 or 65 Riv which offered vinyl only. So, one item to consider is what type or "mood" of Riviera do you want to create? Luxury or more Sports Luxury? To choose the fawn cloth interior required some thinking and I think you are leaning that direction, however, if funds are a consideration and paint matching as mentioned, etc. the earlier post was accurate in saying your current interior isn't that bad. But I couldn't do that green either. If it were my car and I was split on cloth vs. vinyl, I would repair the damaged areas of vinyl and redye the entire interior black. Stop. Redye is not a bad word. I have done many interiors and the dyes today are much better than the lacquer dyes that were available 20 years ago. SEM is the brand I use and when used properly with their adhesion promoters, SEM dye actually has an etching effect on vinyl, is long lasting and does not peel. The Riv is a typical GM interior and could be out of the car in a few hours. Lay all the parts out, sand, prep and shoot. Strip the door panels of the wood inserts and switch plates, don't mask. Don't cheap out and use alcohol or lacquer thinner to clean and prep. USE THE ENTIRE LINE OF RELATED SEM PRODUCTS! People that say this stuff does not work cut a corner somewhere. Another economical option would be to go with the fawn interior, replace the seat covers with a high quality kit from Clark's and redye everything else. Dying a light color over a dark works well when the appropriate primer is used to keep the color from bleeding through. The fawn interior looks like it has a pearl finish if I see correctly, so an extra top coat of pearl clear is necessary. Attached is a picture of my '78 Bentley T2. The leather seats, side panels and dash were all re-dyed with SEM. It was done 2 years ago and about 2,000 miles are on the driver's seat. Good Luck!

post-51157-143138728269_thumb.jpg

post-51157-143138728292_thumb.jpg

Keeping in mind the rules about opinions...

Green is one of my favorite colors. I'd love for my '64 to be green. But, that green interior is ugly to me. It looks slightly aqua and I can not stand aqua in any form. If it's more green without the blue tinge in real life, then my opinion would be different.

I was mainly looking at the driver's side rear seat when forming this opinion. The front driver's side seat looks darker and more green, less blue. So does the rear passenger side seat. If those are more representative of the actual color, then the green is fine.

I have Arctic White on Black and the black looks sharp to me - hence my vote for the color change to black.

-BEPNewt

Brian, actually the green does not look blue at all in person. Pic was taken in my garage, so the flash makes the green look lighter than it actually is. It's actually a dark green. I'll try and get some better pics up of it.

When I got the car about 5 months ago, I was originally planning on keeping the interior mostly original. But since then, I've pulled out most of the interior, and have discovered some rear seat frame rot issues. Also, the sides and rears of the rear seat covers are not it good shape due to moisture over the years. The fabric portion is rotted out, and things smell musty. I'd rather strip the seat frames bare, repair the rust issues on them, and clean and paint them, then re-cover. It's a bigger expense, but I'd rather do things right than half way. So, I figured since I need to re-do all the seats, why not change to a nicer color. I certainly want to stick to the 65 colors however.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad

I agree with Ed, stick with the green, makes your car stand out more. There are a gazillion black interiors out there..

My Riv has one of the rarest green interiors (The lighter green) of 1964 and while I'm not crazy about green, I restored the interior back to original (or as close as I could anyways). Now, I love that interior, it stands out, lots of color contrast with the wood grain, and it is the way the car was meant to be, beautiful !

The only disadvantage to such an interior is that it makes the interior on my newer daily driver look drab, dull, and lifeless.

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

Brian, actually the green does not look blue at all in person. Pic was taken in my garage, so the flash makes the green look lighter than it actually is. It's actually a dark green. I'll try and get some better pics up of it.

Do I get a do-over? Stick with Green, then, is my vote.

I do like the Arctic White with Black interior, though. I do not like white cars as a general rule because they look more "grandpa" then "sporty". Between the black interior and the Cragar Starwires sportifying my '64, I've accepted the white exterior.

The attached pics aren't very good, but give an idea of what White over Black looks like.

-BEPNewt

post-72864-14313872897_thumb.jpg

post-72864-143138728983_thumb.jpg

Guest merrillcrosbie

Keep it original. It will help maintain the value of the car.

If I was looking to buy your car the fact that it is original to the build sheet and that I like the green better would both factor into my purchase decision.

Keep it original. It will help maintain the value of the car.

If I was looking to buy your car the fact that it is original to the build sheet and that I like the green better would both factor into my purchase decision.

X2, almost!

I like black better, but if it were mine I would either learn to live with the green, or change out the interior and store the original so it could be returned to original in the future. I've not done much with dyeing vinyl, but was not happy with the little i tried.

John

With the understanding that color choice is about the most subjective topic around I have looked over and owned quite a few `65`s so I`ll chime in...

The Fawn (really champagne) interior is hands down the most elegant interior choice in a `65. Paired with an arctic white exterior really brings "up" the shimmer in the cloth and the pearl look of the champagne vinyl. When the materials are fresh it is simply stunning when paired with NOS floor mats, a nice wood wheel and fresh walnut inserts in the side panels and console. The materials dont fair well with sun exposure as the cloth loses its shimmer and the vinyl turns to a green tint. But when it is nice...MAN is it gorgeous.

Having said that it is very much a ladies combo. Yes, it can be manned up with the right options, like the GS package and chrome wheels, but overall it is elegant, pretty and very "like the `60`s model in the ads" Buick.

I like the dark green interior but the carpets must be nice, still rich in color and the walnut panels dark and rich as originally intended to complement the deep green color...otherwise the green vinyl appears drab and faded like the aforementioned elements when they are well worn.

I`m not crazy about the dark green against the white exterior. Although the green and white combo was popular on some `60`s cars, like my beloved `62 Olds 98 4 window hardtop, it seems in the Riv a dark green interior calls for a different exterior color with less contrast...like the original verde green (very european sports car-like) or possibly a `65 Cadillac color like Jade Firemist.

I like the `65 in arctic white, looks great, but I cant imagine anything more boring than white over black...except maybe all beige or all light green, like a seafoam with the rather rare green cloth interior. If the condition of the car is pristine, of course, it will look great, but I doubt I would take a second look. Maybe add a factory black vinyl top to tie the interior and exterior together? I`d probably take a good, long look at that.

This question is most probably one which should have been asked and answered before purchase. Seems a shame to dye a nice original interior in a car whose best claim to fame is its originality. They dont make `em in expanded vinyl like that expanded vinyl anymore! Just rambling...sorry, bottom line is the most important opinion is the guy or gal who is paying for it!

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

OK Rob: White. Get a half dozen cans of SEM white (choose the shade) and go to town. be careful with the prep and you will have a very unusual and unique 65 Riv. I had an all white 65 in the 70's and I really liked it. The custom interior in white is fairly rare too. I got rid of it because the motor was tired.

I distinctly remember many people complimenting me on the car's appearance. Mitch

I have the same colors on my 65. Im not really big on the color combo either. For one, there are too many white rivs running around. Second, Im just not big on the dark green. I have one busted seam on a otherwise nice interior. I know that I'm changing the exterior color and adding a vinyl top. I'm still up in the air about the interior. Today I'm going to dye it black but tomorrow that may change.

Now I'm thinking I may change the exterior color as well. May do Champagne Mist, or Seafoam Green w/ Black interior. I'm not real concerned about having the colors match the trim tag, but I do want to stay with the 65 Buick color's.

I'm still a bit away from paint and interior finish work, so I'll still think about it over the course of the next several months.

Now I'm thinking I may change the exterior color as well.

Can we do another poll? These are fun. Then you would be really confused.

Champagne Mist with the fawn interior would be my first choice. Changing the exterior color really opens up all the options. As was said earlier, there are too many white Rivieras.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Can we do another poll? These are fun. Then you would be really confused.

Champagne Mist with the fawn interior would be my first choice. Changing the exterior color really opens up all the options. As was said earlier, there are too many white Rivieras.

HEY !

I like my "White" Riviera !

LOL

Here is my interior:

post-68245-143138731935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad
I like them too! Glad you lol it because I sure didnt mean to offend when I said it. Nice interior, I've never seen that fabric/color.

Thanks, I've never been a big fan of green but it did come out beautiful... I love it !

The seat cloth & seat cloth color, carpet, & headliner are correct. I couldn't find the right color for the vinyl seats so I chose the closest thing which was a little darker. Then I dyed the door panels to match the seats. I left the buttons off, didn't want the hassle of them falling off..

Here's a picture of a fellow Kansas ROA member's white Riviera with the factory fawn interior. Of course there's some gold paint to go with the white and some custom work done on the dash. If you like the side moldings, you'll never find them in a salvage yard; they're airbrushed on. White with fawn interior is about as classy as you can get. This car was featured in the Riview a couple of years ago.

Ed

kkoa063.jpg

kkoa064.jpg

You could also do the blue cloth or black cloth with silver headliner...or how about white vinyl with white headliner...color change is easy...I did it and the color codes can be mixed at any quality paint store. I never warmed up to the green vinyl; however, the green cloth is beautiful especially with Verde or seafoam green exteriors...white over black IMO is boring. You could also do silver exterioir over white.....there a just so many cool options.....talk to dick Sweeney about his interesting bamboo cream over green vinyl with black vinyl top...it is certainly interesting to see.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are other nice combos:

Seafoam green over green cloth w/silver headliner.

Astro Blue over blue cloth with silver headliner

Verde Green over Green Cloth with silver headliner.

Verde Green over black cloth with sliver headliner (can you tell I like the silver headliner?)

Burgundy Mist over fawn cloth with fawn headliner

Champagne Mist with fawn cloth with silver headliner

White over white vinyl

Silver over white vinyl.

Black over white vinyl

Black over Black cloth with black vinyl roof with silver headliner.

Be creative, find a combo that you love that's not commonly seen.

Guest Kinmann

Rob not trying to throw a wrench in it and who cares what I'm doing.... But, I'm gonna go against the grain of what's available and do a dark rich burgandy. I'm gonna keep to the original seat patterns and Vynil/leather grain. You just hardly see anything different than what was/isavailable. But I'm painting my car black and the chrome interior accents should look great.

In your case... I'm a huge fan of Fawn!

Best to you... Either way... When your done, you won't have regrets! It will be perfect!

Edited by Kinmann
Misspell (see edit history)