DEREK - NICE PICS & ARTICLE in BUGLE

Marty Roth

Derek Thille organized and led the second annual Canadian Labour Day Buick Tour held September 3 - 4, 2011.

Derek's photos and his daughter Teresa's article appear on pages 14 - 15 of the November issue of THE BUICK BUGLE.

From the article and pictures, I wish it weren't so long a drive from New Orleans.

Congratulations on what appears to have been a very enjoyable event.

post-54863-143138727669_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138727672_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138727673_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

...that danged inevitable winter. Was pleased to see, though, that upstate New York got snow before Edmonton this year. A few days ago, we passed the date of the latest first snowfall in history. Now every morning without the white stuff is a record-breaker. Today it's 4C (39F) and we had a light rain earlier. Great day for a drive in a beautiful Buick.

...Was pleased to see, though, that upstate New York got snow before Edmonton this year. ..

Well uhmmm, Thanks Rob!:eek: :D

I guess it wasn't funny but it was actually downstate NY, NJ and CT that got hit with the heavy snow. Schenectady county was just west of the white stuff, and last week we had close to 60* everyday. Didn't manage to get my cars out though. :(

Guest wildcat465

I am pleased to say that the tour was a lot of fun. Been to two of them set up by Derek and enjoyed both immensely. Teresa does a great job of writing about them as well.

Many thanks to the Thille family for a lot of good times over the years!

Guest DaveCorbin

To:

Teresa Thille:

Dear Miss Thille:

I read your Buick Bugle article with considerable interest. You will know from the signature below who I am, as we have met on at least two occasions.

You may not be aware that I am also a member of The Society of Automotive Historians as well as the BCA. I was encouraged to join the Society by the late Beverly Rae Kimes. who actively encouraged the research that I have done on Buick frame and engine numbers. She was one of the greatest automotive writers and historians that our hobby has had. in addition to being a fine person that I was glad to call a friend.

I see some considerable promise that you might become a writer, perhaps on automotive subjects. Bev Kimes certainly proved that the profession of automotive writer wasn't (as some might mistakenly think) a man's occupation.

If you would like to join The Society of Automotive Historians, please let me know. I would be pleased to pay your dues for a 2 year period to introduce you to the wider automotive literary world.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Edited by DaveCorbin (see edit history)

Rob McDonald - I have a cousin and family in Edmonton, Robert and Grace MacDonald. Haven't seen them in years. They would be in their late 70's now. They have a '66 Mustang - or did. They were the original owners and had it until sometime in the 90's, when they shipped it to Robert's brother, Ronald, in PEI who restored it and used it until he passed in 2002. It was his wish that it go back to them so it went back to Edmonton. In 2000, Ronald shipped the car to Vancouver and drove it across country back to PEI on a Canadian tour. Forget the name of that now, but I followed it on the internet. The tour went on to St. John's.

Thanks Marty...it wouldn't be a bad flight though...there's enough seats in Buicks to ensure you could ride or drive on the tour if you wanted to come up for it in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts Rich - the forum SW tells me I was last here Oct. 9...ouch. My life has shifted and TV and Internet time have dropped way off as a result. All is good though, even though I wish I could regularly get back to spending more time with Buick Buddies.

Mark - I passed the exam in late September, so studying is more or less done.

I did play with the Buicks on Friday after attending a Remembrance Day service. I dealt with fuel / carbs for the winter. Now all that is left is to charge batteries and put them in the basement so they don't freeze hard.

We've had some snow, but no accumulation on the ground to speak of. Unfortunately (?), there is some predicted for this week. Oh well. It is inevitable here. Actually, I'll have a bit of time in Wetaskiwin on Friday on my way to Kelowna for the weekend. I'll try to look out the window every now and again to see where there may be snow.

Dave - Teresa has read your note. Thanks for the kind words. We haven't discussed your offer since she read it though.

John - that would be the Coast to Coast Tour. It was repeated last year. The local club met them and went with them for a couple days here in Manitoba as they headed west. We couldn't travel with them, but did meet up at one stop.

Thanks for all the kind words. Putting something like this together is quite rewarding. You get to see some of the sites in your local area that you don't necessarily see otherwise. You get to spend time with Buickful friends. The biggest thing, when dealing with the crowd I have to, is figuring out a suitable place for them to bed down...there's some fussiness about price it would seem. It was a lot of fun, and I've always liked being able to show Teresa's teachers some of her work.

Chuck - she was the first one to suggest getting a Reatta after judging them in Colorado Springs. We'd always thought of them as impractical with a family of five, but when there are no children to ferry around, it is actually the most fuel efficient vehicle we have...sad in some respects, I know. Of course, it being fairly tight and fun to drive doesn't hurt...we have a few kinks to work out yet, but overall we had a good first summer with it.

I have to admit, l've been so busy with working on the rental property foundation that I have not had much of a chance to look the Bugle over. But knowing where the articals have come from, I'm sure they are first class! :D Hey, look, your famous just like me. ;) Dandy Dave!

Guest Rob McDonald

Me and my big mouth. Winter came to Edmonton this week and brought lots of white luggage.

JOHN, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting your cousin and his Mustang. I also remember the Coast To Coast tour and met up with some of the participants here.

A few years prior to that, the Classic Car Club of America also held a cross-continental tour, which stopped in Edmonton. West P's father, Don, was driving a magnificent Packard formal sedan in that one. I caught a ride to the Reynolds Alberta Museum in Westaskiwin with a couple from Detroit, driving a '40 Cadillac Sixty Special. Very fond memories.