Is this an early Amphicar?

auburnseeker

Some of the early Amphicar prototypes (code named "Alligator") had leaks such as you see here. The healights are out of lamp fluid so the light leaks caused this example to be too heavy in the water. With proper inflation of the air suspension and flotation fluids topped off, this one could possibly get you from Cuba to Key West. ;)

This particular Dodge also came with the novel idea of Sea-View. Unfortunately it affected it's sea worthiness when opened because it was located in the rear passenger floor.

DeSoto discovered it would make a great sunroof so it ran with the idea and marketed it as the Sky-View in their 1946 models.

Looks like it will need to be air lifted to be retrived. Or just maybe flood some 55 gallon drums to sink them, run some straps under the frame to connect the barrels on each side, and then push the water out of the barrels with an air compesser. Annnd,... Wala. She floats!... maybe??? She breaks in two and sinks like the Titanic??? Likely. I may take on such a retrival project for the challange, but would not pay anyone a plum nickle for a rust bucket like that in it's situation.

So, the big question would be, how would you remove it in one piece if you wanted too? Dandy Dave!

Guest Kingoftheroad

For a second I thought someone snapped some shots of the loch ness monster....lol

Probably have to pay a tow truck company a recovery fee to get it out, if they can reach it and if they can get it out of the muck without ripping her apart.

Reminds me of the pics in the Hemming calenders.

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

For a second I thought someone snapped some shots of the loch ness monster....lol

Probably have to pay a tow truck company a recovery fee to get it out, if they can reach it and if they can get it out of the muck without ripping her apart.

Reminds me of the pics in the Hemming calenders.

Yep, it is the muck part that has me worried.... Do you think the wheels are frozen? ;) How about a cracked block, and rusted crank, assuming it still has a motor?? Definetly a retrival for the summer months. Hey, maybe it could be sold as modern art. :D Dandy Dave!

Guest Kingoftheroad
I would say that it is already art.

I agree, as sad as it is that it had to end up that way, I love the pics of the car in the water.