Buick Reatta tail light letter prices gone wild...

Guest Kitskaboodle

The sad fact is he might get that for his letter as sometimes folks aren't aware there are less expensive ways to find needed items.

A couple of years ago I put one each of the inverters on Ebay and the bids went up to about

$ 50 each. At the end of the auction I emailed the high bidder telling him that that was too much and offered him the inverters for quite a bit less than his high bid. He replied that he would pay the full amount. ?????????

When I see some folks listing items on Ebay with ridiculously high starting prices it really bothers me that the sellers are trying to find some unsuspecting buyer to flat out rip off.

Years ago I had an acquaintance that was a car salesman in Minneapolis and his theory was screw the customer as hard as you can because if you don't the next guy will.

I try to sell my parts for what I think I would like to or have to pay for them and try and treat folks the way I would want to be treated.

P.S. I have lots of letters available although for some reason one of them, and without going and looking, I am in short supply of. Maybe it is the "C" and in that case I have one for $ 85. :)

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Guest Kingsley

Jim - I agree that educating Reatta owners as far as used parts prices are concerned offers an opportunity,and I feel an obligation, of the Forum.

I cite this example - a transmisson gear selector cable was recently sold to a new owner of an '88 for $190.00 including $20.00 for shipping. After being aware that someone had perhaps taken advantage of him he stopped payment through PayPal and subsequently received quotes of $100 and $40.

This fellow is a retired Army fellow and a car collector who has whittled his holdings down to two International pick ups and two mid-'50s Studebakers but unfortunately, lacking computer skills, did not use due diligence

Caveat emptor has never been more important.

Please note this edit:

As you would expect, Jim Finn had the lowest price.

Edited by Kingsley
Additional important information. (see edit history)

Jim - I agree that educating Reatta owners as far as used parts prices are concerned offers an opportunity,and I feel an obligation, of the Forum.

Caveat emptor has never been more important.

Very true. Too many folks are only interested in the $$$$$$$$'s. By the way, congrats on becoming a "Senior Member"..... Jim;)

Rawja-

That may be a good idea. I have contemplated talking to a sign shop I deal with once in a while, to see how much it would cost to have exterior grade mirror finish plastic precision cut to the shape of the letters. Problem is, these would be flat, without the slight contour of the originals. So, they would look new but would not be 100% correct.

Of course, machined letters could also be made from brass then chrome plated.

If you (or anyone else) has connections with a machine shop that might be able to do this (I don't have regrettably) it would be worth asking about.

KDirk

My best friend is a foreman in a job shop I'll ask him.

If he can't/won't do it I'll ask another guy whose always in financial trouble and looks for "side jobs" as his boss allows him to "moonlight."

BTW I checked my inventory. I am missing an "I" but I have an extra "C" Anyone want to trade? Keep in mind my "C" is worth $80.00! lol

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Take a look at this Ebay auction 200576246712. He makes these himself, if anybody is near him in Florida they might check him out. I asked if he could make them said yes if there is enough interest.

That would be worth looking into! I'd pay $60 for a new set of letters.