1930 Chrysler 77??

Guest devaE2

Guest devaE2

Hello,

I'm seeking assistance in identifying the auto in the attached picture. I'ts was suggested that the vehicle is a 1930 Cadillac but the folks over at the Cadillac/LaSalle forum think it's a Chrysler.

Background - I work as a tour guide at Scotty's Castle in Death Valley National Park. We are doing a research project on the vehicles that the actual owner of the Castle - Albert Johnson - bought over his lifetime. The woman in the picture is his wife Bessie .

Thanks for any help.

Mike Wehmeyer

National Park Service

Death Valley National Park

post-79504-143138683423_thumb.jpg

Yes I think it is a Cadillac - it is much too big and heavy looking to be a Chrysler from that era. Those brackets keiser mentioned are typical of Cadillac of 1928-'29 but the odd thing is that the wheels are 1930 - note they are the type that has the nuts inside the hubcaps rather than outside.

Guest Harold Phillips

I agree with Steve, I went out and looked at about 28 wheel & capI have, Looks like it could be newer style and while can not read script looks to be right

It must be a 1930 Model 145 or a 1931 Model 151 as those were the coupe models those years, and Scotty was big on Franklins.

More searching indicates this is the 145 coupe Scotty used for the 104 mile low gear run in 1931. See the book "Franklin" by Powell & Chaplin, pages 361 to 364. On page 381 there is an excellent photo of a 145 coupe. Apparently the coupe visor had bracket supports while on all the other bodies the ends of the visor curved downward to the doorpost.

Edited by f147pu
new information (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest Lincoln

Has any one figured out what make and model this car is ? From a distance it looks like there are many similarities to a Franklin. The similarities are 1) the sheet metal around the door window, 2)the belt line extending along the cowl, 3) the visor and visor bracket, 4) the hub cap looks like a 30, 31, 4) the beading on the front and rear fenders on the out side role, the trim on the running board, and the spare tire lock. That is my observation but not a definite answer.

• 4 years later...
On 10/5/2011 at 10:57 AM, devaE2 said:

Hello,

I'm seeking assistance in identifying the auto in the attached picture. I'ts was suggested that the vehicle is a 1930 Cadillac but the folks over at the Cadillac/LaSalle forum think it's a Chrysler.

Background - I work as a tour guide at Scotty's Castle in Death Valley National Park. We are doing a research project on the vehicles that the actual owner of the Castle - Albert Johnson - bought over his lifetime. The woman in the picture is his wife Bessie .

Thanks for any help.

Mike Wehmeyer

National Park Service

Death Valley National Park

post-79504-143138683423_thumb.jpg

That is a Cadillac. My father owned that car for 30+ years but sold it a few years back. Not a car like that one. He owned THAT car. 

Interesting. It doesn't look like a Cadillac.

The bead near the edge of the fenders means it is not a Cadillac. Franklin fenders are like that. The hub cap also does not have the hexagon. Franklin hub caps were like that. The window reveal is not like a Cadillac but is like a Franklin 1930.