8?-85 Riv outside coach lights (Opera lights)

sosuzguy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got around to taking some better pictures of this. The light on the top is an original unit, the bottom one has been fixed, good as new! It still doesn't look that super bright in person. It's very hard to take a pic of something bright at night.

The other is the unit assembled and ready to be installed. Just connect securely to your existing 12volt wire and put the inverter in the hole behind the light and your good to go.

The guy doing these will do a set for $75.00 plus shipping and handling.

You must be able to send him a good set off of your car. (They can't be cracked and brittle) Contact me directly if interested.

post-48336-143138818447_thumb.jpg

post-48336-143138818456_thumb.jpg

There are about 5-6 '79-85 Rivs at my local U Pick. I can pull these Opera lights for you so you have something to send Jayson and still keep running your car.

PM me if interested.

There are also working visors there as well. Limited colors. Also may not be year specific in the color you want. Let me know what you are after.

Even if the visors that Dave has access to are the wrong color, go ahead and get 'em while you can. The problem with droopy visors is the plastic "winged thing" on the shaft. If that "winged thing" cracks, it's too big to grip the support rod. Those support rods are interchangeable just by pulling them out. For the lighted mirrors, a 12V wire is fed through the mounting plate, and the ground strap is clipped to the end of the support rod. Once you tear into one, you can see how simply they are assembled. The 12V wired has a connector right inside the hole in the headliner.

Does the redo use LEDs? I've been debating on how nice these might look as a side marker light so if you could put red or amber LEDs in them it would be cool.

No they are rebuilt using Electroluminescent material. It wasn't possible to put enough LED's in there and it's difficult to not have "hot spots" with LEDs

• 6 years later...
On 1/30/2012 at 7:51 PM, sosuzguy said:

I finally got around to taking some better pictures of this. The light on the top is an original unit, the bottom one has been fixed, good as new! It still doesn't look that super bright in person. It's very hard to take a pic of something bright at night.

The other is the unit assembled and ready to be installed. Just connect securely to your existing 12volt wire and put the inverter in the hole behind the light and your good to go.

The guy doing these will do a set for $75.00 plus shipping and handling.

You must be able to send him a good set off of your car. (They can't be cracked and brittle) Contact me directly if interested.

post-48336-143138818447_thumb.jpg

post-48336-143138818456_thumb.jpg

Luis,  check www.row52.com for a u-pull-it yard in your area.  If you're a member of the Riviera Owners Assn. you can look in the back of the club magazine under "Used Parts" and find someone who could be parting one out.  

It always helps to know in which part of the country you reside.

Ed

For example:

http://row52.com/Search/?Year=1979+-+1985+&V1=&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=&V6=&V7=&V8=&V9=&V10=&V11=&V12=&V13=&V14=&V15=&V16=&V17=&LocationId=0&ZipCode=&Distance=50&MakeId=96&ModelId=1296&Page=1&IsVin=false

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, RivNut said:

I was just wondering if you knew if they worked on the same technology as the 79-85 lamps. 

Same basic technology except don't attempt to remove them from the outside.  You have to remove the interior sail panel to reveal an opening that gets you to the back side of the light assembly.  If I remember correctly, there are two 10mm (?) bolts that you will remove that will allow the light to disengage from the outside sail panel.

Too many folks most likely "light fingered" the 79-85 coach lights.  So, GM changed the assembly for the "86-93" Rivs.

• Like 2

Once the coach light is disengaged from the sail panel, you will see wires attached.  If I remember correctly, the wires might have "plug-in" connections a few inches from the lamp body.  The wires originate somewhere on the left and right sides of the trunk.  If you pull the LH and RH trunk linings, you will see them.  I never followed the wires to any particular harness, and I never saw any inverters associated with the 7th gen coach lights.

Please remember, there are no "bulbs" in these coach lights.... only that "what-cha-you-call-it" pad.

Best you look for replacement coach lights at a "pick-n-pull.   

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dship said:

Once the coach light is disengaged from the sail panel, you will see wires attached.  If I remember correctly, the wires might have "plug-in" connections a few inches from the lamp body.  The wires originate somewhere on the left and right sides of the trunk.  If you pull the LH and RH trunk linings, you will see them.  I never followed the wires to any particular harness, and I never saw any inverters associated with the 7th gen coach lights.

Please remember, there are no "bulbs" in these coach lights.... only that "what-cha-you-call-it" pad.

Best you look for replacement coach lights at a "pick-n-pull.   

Good advice, but there haven’t been any Rivieras from this generation in a pic-n-pull within 50 miles of me for a couple of years.  😕

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

Good advice, but there haven’t been any Rivieras from this generation in a pic-n-pull within 50 miles of me for a couple of years.  😕

Ed, Daves89 in WI might have one or two at the junk yard he goes to...Gibson's if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@sosuzguy Just created an account to contact you after finally finding what seems like a solution in this thread! Sorry for the public message, can’t DM yet.

I’ve got an ‘84 Riv with the opera lights out and am very interested in one of these conversion kits — do you make them? Or know the guy who does?

Would love any info you’ve got! Thanks much.