Curtiss Aerocar Land Yacht with Auburn

Dave Mellor NJ

This is another picture from "The Old Motor". It's appealing in many ways. One is the Auburn coupe which seems to be one of the rare ones where they took a finished cabriolet and reverse engineered a closed roof onto it. That to me is like buying a candy bar only to eat the peanuts out of it.

The trailer is an Aerocar Land Yacht made by Glen Curtiss of "Jenny" fame. Note how much front load there is but it hardly bears down at all on the coupe thanks to the lightweight, aircraft-inspired construction. Compare this to that S-10 pickup under the fifth-wheel trailer posted a few days ago.

Curtiss-I.jpg

How about this one, now restored, that has spent its life in Canada, with connection to the Gray Dort car company?

Hindley's Garage - Antique Trucks, Cars & Trailer Restoration

Originally towed by a 1936 Plymouth, the owner had a custom built tow car constructed on a 1938 International truck chassis. This custom tow car is still with the trailer.

How about this one, now restored, that has spent its life in Canada, with connection to the Gray Dort car company?

Originally towed by a 1936 Plymouth, the owner had a custom built tow car constructed on a 1938 International truck chassis. This custom tow car is still with the trailer.

I have seen this a few times at Ken Hindley's place ( he is restoring on a Pierce Arrow for a friend of mine)

It really is a beautiful combo, that he drives every summer.

Guest Dave Boyer

I see that all the time, at the bigger shows around here. They drive it a lot.

• 2 years later...

Hi,I'm Bernard from North of France.I'm a modeler kit and I'm interested building in 1/25 a trailer like the Curtiss model.I found some pics on restored model but cannot find data like lenght,width,height,also I would like a pic of the chassis.Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,Bernard

Hi,I'm Bernard from North of France.I'm a modeler kit and I'm interested building in 1/25 a trailer like the Curtiss model.I found some pics on restored model but cannot find data like lenght,width,height,also I would like a pic of the chassis.Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,Bernard

Complete plans for a 23 foot long version of this trailer were published in a magazine in the 1930s. You can buy them from this source:

http://howtobuildplans.com/?wpsc_product_category=old-vintage-camper-trailer-plans

(the second set of plans)

I have seen the same magazine article and plans on another web site, for free. The site has about a dozen different plans from the twenties to the fifties.

If you do a web site for Vintage travel trailer plans, or similar, you may turn them up. Or spend $1.99 at the linked site.

The plans I saw give all details of construction, dimensions, and materials. Including the unique rubber mounted hitch.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Later.......

Here is the site I was looking for, with the Free plans. The ones for the Curtis style trailer are on the right hand side, 10 down from the top.

There are lots of plans here for trailers of the 1920s to 1950s, enough to make your own model caravan camp ground!

http://www.mikenchell.com/VintagePlans/vintageplans.html

The trailer did not have a chassis as such. The body was constructed on aircraft principles, of 2"X2" spruce wood braced by diagonal wires. The body of the trailer functioned as the chassis.

Dimensions are given as 23 feet long overall, 19 feet of usable floor space inside. Six feet one inch inside width, 6 feet inside height. Weight, 3000 to 3800 pounds depending on equipment. Cost of materials $700 to $900.

I estimate overall height, 7' 8". Overall width, 6' 8". Overall length, 23'.

The trailer at the top of this page, appears very similar but shorter, probably about 20 feet. Construction details given in the plans, agree with details I have seen of the Curtis trailer. This indicates that the designer was familiar with the Curtis, and may have worked for the company.

This type of trailer was the most sophisticated on the market, and the most expensive. A real millionaire's land yacht.

I think they are the same but have no way of knowing for sure. The guy selling plans, seems to have got them off the net. The picture on his ad, is from the free plans I linked.

The trailer at the top of this page, appears to be painted the same color scheme as the car. Any color auto enamel could be used to paint a trailer. The Curtis trailers were all built to order, with interior fittings, upholstery, exterior finish etc to the customer's taste.

The article linked, shows a color picture. This is an artist's impression and does not mean the trailer was really that color.

The article also states, that the trailer was covered with Dupont Fabrikoid. This was a material used for car bodies of the Weymann type. It came from the factory in colors, and needed no paint. The Fabrikoid cars I have read about, were usually dark colors like maroon, black, dark green, dark blue or gray.

The roof was covered with the material used on auto tops of the period. It resembles the vinyl tops some cars had in the seventies. Some trailers had roofs of canvas, made smooth and water proof with 2 coats of white lead paint.

Most trailers of that period were covered with Masonite, a hard smooth artificial board. It could be painted with auto enamel and was quite durable. Painted Masonite looks the same as painted sheet metal.

A more expensive option was Fabrikoid or imitation leather which was made by several companies.

Your model could have a smooth painted finish or an imitation leather covering, and be authentic to the period. Aluminum trailers were just coming in then. They were seldom seen until the late forties and early fifties.

Another style of Curtis trailer, the Enna Jettick streamlined model!

http://thevintagetraveler.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/the-enna-jettick-aerocar-1930s/

A fleet of 4 was built for the Enna Jettick shoe company. Their sales staff used them to visit dealers, and to promote the Enna Jettick shoe.

Note the unique streamlined shape which echoed the Enna Jettick blimp.

Another copy of this photo on the net, bears the hand written inscription "July 1930". From the style of the car the trailers were probably made in 1929 or 1930.The photo appears to have been taken in winter when the leaves were off the trees. The Enna Jettick brand was launched in 1928.

post-48461-14314244164_thumb.jpg

Rusty_OToole what a pleasure to see that.Thank you very much for the effort.with all that,I hope to build a model in scale.

Effectively on some pics the top of the trailers seems to be covered with leather.

Sorry to disturb the post of Dave Mellor and thank you again mister OToole.

Bernard.

Rusty_OToole what a pleasure to see that.Thank you very much for the effort.with all that,I hope to build a model in scale.

Effectively on some pics the top of the trailers seems to be covered with leather.

Sorry to disturb the post of Dave Mellor and thank you again mister OToole.

Bernard.

They were covered with imitation leather that was used for the tops of closed cars at the time.

The bill of materials in the trailer plans, includes 16 yards of 52" wide top material. This would be about 15 meters of 1.3 meter wide material. Also 6 rolls of blue cotton padding to cover the roof and make it smooth before applying the imitation leather.

If you look at a Model A Ford sedan, the whole roof is covered with imitation leather. Other cars have a small insert in the center of the roof.

This was because of the difficulty of making a whole roof in one piece, a limitation of the technology of the time. Eventually they learned to make a roof in one piece, and after 1937 did not use the fabric insert.

Trailer makers bought the same material that the car makers used. A similar material was used on the bodies of expensive trailers. Cheaper trailers used canvas, waterproofed with 2 coats of white lead paint for the roof. For the body they used Masonite painted with auto enamel.

The bill of materials includes 26 yards ( 24 meters) of Fabrikoid for the outside of the trailer, in addition to the roof material. And 14 yards (13 meters) of light colored upholstery grade Fabrikoid for the interior ceiling.

• 1 month later...

I sent a lot of info on the Curtiss Aerocar, trailer etc, to the Seattle Museum of Flight, about 10 years ago.. There were the ORIGINAL dwgs, patent descriptions, and long technical reports *from the Original Curtiss and Curtiss Wright Company archives. The Museum has this material preserved and indexed, and should be able to help with specific requests, should you need accurate and detailed info.

I saw the unit from Canada at the Frankenmuth, Mi. Show.

Interesting was the flexible trailer/tongue mount in the pull truck.

They took a spare tire/wheel combo, wrapped the outside of the rubber with brackets mounted to the floor, then the tongue/fifth wheel turn assembly was fastened to the center bolt pattern, thus flexible.

I assume that was an original design, but neat,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

The wheel boxes are shown clearly in the plans. They are the square dotted lines in the left picture.

In the right picture the wheel box is the curved line. It is marked "1' X ? Laminated rim". The ? indicates a number obliterated by your blue line.

It seems they took 2 pieces of thin plywood or Masonite, bent them in a circle, then glued them together. That is what "laminated" means.

In the corners they show 2" filler blocks. That would mean, pieces cut of 2" thick wood to fill in the space between the laminated wheel box and the frame. Incidentally in old drawings " means inch and ' means foot.

The inside vertical part of the wheel box is shown as 3/4" plywood.

Did you look at the picture gallery of the Hindley trailer? It has some good pictures of the interior. They were not standardized. Each trailer was custom built to order. This means, you can change the design or layout and still be authentic if you use the type of design and materials available at the time.

http://www.hindleysgarage.com/gallery_aerocar.htm

If you need extra details, Email the Hindleys and see if they will send you some more pictures. I am sure they will help you if they can.

Yes I'm right with the dimension.All blue print are clear.

I find it odd the elevation of the ground just above the wheel axle;people should lift the leg to go through the trailer,it's just that I do not understand.

I continue my research and I'll contact the Hindleys.

At this time I am having problems with my webhost pics,so I'll place a pic of my progress asap.

Thanks so much.Bernard.

227400tnCurtissfab1.jpg

Edited by 59bernard (see edit history)

I see what you mean now. The high box in the floor for axle clearance. This seems strange to me. A step like that would be inconvenient or dangerous. If you wanted to eliminate the step, you could use a drop axle (bent down in the middle) or make the floor higher.

Maybe the Hindleys have more information.

Bernard I took another look at the plans. They show a straight axle with 3" thick wooden blocks between the axle and springs. This was done to lower the trailer. But it means they had to raise the floor for clearance.

I do not believe the Curtis trailer was made this way. They would have used a dropped axle. This would not require raising the floor for clearance.

• 3 months later...

Thank you to all those who bring help and also for the interest.

I would put pictures of updates shortly and you will understand with the pictures the chosen design with flat floor, maybe it is not the total reality but my model I like better that way.

After an initial response from the daughter of the Hindley family I have never received the requested information, so be it.

Some health problems are slowing my project, it's in stand by but hopefully get back to it.

JohnA,thnk you for the interest,I hope you enjoy my project.:)

Hi Bernard,

I have over 80+ photos of Curtiss Aerocars from the early 30's. They came from an Aerocar salesman to show customers different trailers. A lot of the photos are interior shots. All have a flat floor. My Aerocar also has a flat floor but it does have the cut out in the frame for the drop axel to clear as shown in the drawing.

Like to see the model when you get the chance, and best of health to you.

John

post-102891-143142708412_thumb.jpg

post-102891-14314270837_thumb.jpg

Some news of the model;so I made a flat floor and a shifted axle.

For the underside I followed a " blue print " send by Rusty_Otoole consisting of crossties,I don't know if it was the reality,but...

So JohnA,is it possible to have copies of your documents?by pm?

Some updates.Thank you.

Bernard.

713957DiapoCurtisstraileressieuetpassagesderoues.jpg

778498tnLamesdamortisseursCurtisstrailer.jpg

948566tnPosedesbaguettesdornementCurtissTrailer.jpg

309409ThermoformagedessigesCurtisstrailer.jpg

884896Diapo1927LincolnRoadsterbyLocketowcar.jpg

271486DiapoCurtissarocouplerunit.jpg

669946Fifthwheelunitessai.jpg

Edited by 59bernard (see edit history)

post-48461-143142709028_thumb.jpgYour model is very impressive, and very detailed. The Lincoln roadster is a nice touch, the perfect tow car.

Recently I saw a Curtis trailer in a 1933 Will Rogers movie titled "Mr. Skitch". In this movie Will Rogers plays Mr. Skitch, a man forced to leave his home and travel with his family to California during the depression. In a tourist camp, he offers to wash another traveller's car and trailer, but the traveller ends up doing the work. The car is a Lincoln coupe similar to your roadster model, the trailer is a Curtis.

In the movie, bracing wires are clearly visible in the front windows.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting album. I hope Bernard comes around and gets a look at it. It has answered some questions for me, about the construction of these unique land yachts. I wonder why they weren't more popular with those who could afford them, or maybe they were? Do you have any information on the number built? It seems the company was in business for at least 10 years. They must have built quite a few yet there has never been much information about them. This thread has more about them than I have ever seen elsewhere.

Very interesting album. I hope Bernard comes around and gets a look at it. It has answered some questions for me, about the construction of these unique land yachts. I wonder why they weren't more popular with those who could afford them, or maybe they were? Do you have any information on the number built? It seems the company was in business for at least 10 years. They must have built quite a few yet there has never been much information about them. This thread has more about them than I have ever seen elsewhere.

Information about Glenn Curtiss trailers and also his cars, motorcycles, and planes http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/curtiss/curtiss.htm

Hello JohnA and Rusty_OToole.

thanks so much for the album photos.

I found history on Coachbuilt.com. but it's really nice to help me.

The project is on hold, I have work in the bathroom,so when I get a little more time for model making, I'll post more pictures.

I wish you a Happy New Year.

Best regards,Bernard.

• 2 weeks later...