Help Translating Protect-O-Plate

Paul K.

There was some discussion last week about protect-o-plates so I thought I would dig mine up for my '64. I don't have the original owner plate, but I know who they are because I purchased the car from them. The P-O-P reads:

T625

J 535

4747-FF-601

7K1201778 T (I know this is the VIN but what is the T for? )

FB 33333

What does all this mean?

Thanks in advance for all answers.

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Was this ever explained. I too would like to know how to decode the Protect O Plate. Is there a document that outlines the format for each year, etc.

Thx

Edited by vapor (see edit history)

I have a complete "OPP", or Owners Protection Plan" booklet for my 67. It seems the metal plate was permanently adhered to the back cover, and every 6 mos the owner was to bring the car in to a dealer for Maintainence. The plate is like a metal credit card.. The dealer would, evidently, do the scheduled maintainence, then stamp the "validation report". According to the text, "it is required....every 6 mos...authorized Buick Dealer do the report, send half of the perforated slip to Buick, , indicate mileage, etc.. I know cars from this era needed much more care than cars of today, but I wonder if this was a bit of "hype"?

Like to hear from some ex- service managers re this.

The booklet is around 38 pages; if you want a can make copies and post. May take a while, though

The metal plate contained all the info about the vehicle, and below that the information about the owner.

The OPP, or POP (Protect-O-Plate) info was imprinted on dealer work orders and any warranty work was credited back to the dealers.

It provided a history of service on any given vehicle, and allowed dealers to claim for any warranty repairs.

While it may appear as 'hype', it was a system designed to track any service completed on a new vehicle. *RO/AFA forms were used by Buick Dealers and were imprinted with the OPP, or POP info. The RO/AFA Form was a 5 part form. The first part (white copy) went to the dealer accounting, and was an office copy. The second part (buff copy) Buick AFA(Claim) copy for submitting a warranty claim to the factory. The third copy (Green) Dealer AFA copy for Dealer Files and Parts Inspection. The fourth part (Pink) was the Customer Copy. The 5th part was a hard copy for routing Repair Work through the shop.

*RO/AFA - Repair Order/Application for Adjustments

Remember there were no computers back in the day, and the job was never over till all the paper work was completed!

I was never a service manager, but I do have a copy of Service Policies and Procedure Manual for Buick Dealers, which is where the above information came from.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

This thread is a little dated but I finally got around to scanning and reversing the POP for my '68 Riv. See below. It has been redacted to protect the privacy of the original owner and his family.redacted-1968-Buick-Riviera-POP-reversed.thumb.jpg.82d4e36697ce2a36baa27e7d32843126.jpg

The car was purchased from Skip Erb Buick, Inc. in Akron, OH on July 10, 1968. The car was assembled during the 2nd week in May, 1968.

I have decoded everything on the POP, except the numeric codes behind the engine and transmission codes:

D434: D=430ci engine; 434 could translate to an assembly date of some sort: 4=April 1968; 34 has me stumped

BT490: BT = Super Turbine 400; 490 could translate to an assembly date of some sort: 4 = April 1968; 90 has me stumped

Based on my decoding of my 1969 Chevrolet Caprice POP's engine and transmission information, those numbers could possibly be assembly dates/shift info for those components. I have not found any online documentation for these numeric codes and the Assembly manual just calls them "number codes". Thoughts?

Here is the rest of the decoded info:

688=Black vinyl Strato-Bench seat deluxe interior

KK2=Aqua Mist upper and lower body paint with black vinyl top

Long alpha/numeric = the VIN

PJ = 3.07 ratio non-posi rear axle

5 = assembly month [May 1968]

27 = installed options [2 = A/C & 7 = Power Windows]

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)

Mike,

The numbers after the engine and trans code have been discussed on other POP threads.

My understanding is, they are numbered starting from the "prior" year, so, your D434 engine would have been manufactured on the 69th day of 1968, and your BT490 transmission would have been manufactured on the 125th day of 1968. So, with those numbers it does make sense, the engine built in March, and the Transmission built in April, then the complete car in May. So if the numbers on the POP match the numbers on the engine and trans you should have the complete package.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

• Like 1

RIVMAN, "The numbers after the engine and trans code have been discussed on other POP threads."

I tried to find the answers to my questions before posting but did not find the information you posted.  I do appreciate your help! 

Just so I understand, an engine or transmission built on September 1st of the new model year would have number code 244?

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)