64 Protecto Plate, Information needed

Guest Pearville

Guest Pearville

Can any of you 64 experts tell me something about this car from the Protecto Plate. Guy has it for sale and says its a KX car. I need more info. on KX cars and how rare they might be. Thanks in advance Mike

post-94474-143142411807_thumb.jpg

Guest Pearville
Mike check the stampings on the front of the engine block behind the thermostat-number at right should match vin tab-stamping on the left will be kw for standard 425- kx for 425 with 2x4s.T.Nugent roa 12969...

I don't have access to the car. It is a two four barrel car. It appears to be a originally black on black KX car. I have seen threads on here where members were saying that these cars are rare and worth putting some time in. This one is a basket case but comes with lots of extra parts. Mike.

Kenneth E. Smith 7-6-64

709 Horncastle

Shannelview, Texas 77530

X-463 7K1130683 X

N-446 FB 22311

4747-AA-628-A1-Parker Buick Co.

7-6-64 = probably delivery or sale date, based on the serial number and body number, the build date is probably second or third week of March 1964 (03B or 03C on the body tag)

Shannelview = Channelview, typo?

X-463 = Engine production code

X = KX (2x4 425 Super Wildcat)

463 = date code

7K1130683 = car serial number

7 = Series 4700 (Riviera)

K = 1964

1 = Flint, MI

130683 = sequential number, range for Flint was 001001 to 233508

X following serial number = build month = March 1964

N-446 = transmission code

N = BN (console shifted ST400)

446 = date code

FB 22311 = body plant and body number

FB = Flint, MI

22311 = 22311th 4747 built out of 37,658 (2,122 with Super Wildcat engine)

4747 = style number

4 = Buick

47 = 2-door hardtop sport coupe

AA = paint code = solid Regal Black

628 = trim code = Optional Black Vinyl with Bucket-Type Front Seats

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Kenneth E. Smith 7-6-64

709 Horncastle

Shannelview, Texas 77530

X-463 7K1130683X

N-446 FB 22311

7-6-64 = probably delivery or sale date, based on the serial number and body number, the build date is probably second or third week of March 1964 (03B or 03C on the body tag)

463 = date code

K = 1964

1 = Flint, MI

446 = date code

FB = Flint, MI

4747 = style number

4 = Buick

Nice job Sean! Now, what does the A1 mean after the paint and trim code?

Tom Mooney

Can any of you 64 experts tell me something about this car from the Protecto Plate. Guy has it for sale and says its a KX car. I need more info. on KX cars and how rare they might be. Thanks in advance Mike

[ATTACH=CONFIG]236807[/ATTACH]

Mike,

Where was this Protecto Plate found? As in where...on the car? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

I think it is probably an option code, but I'm not familiar with it. A picture of the body tag might clear it up. I've also never seen a POP like this before and the format is a little different from those that I have seen. Also, most sources list the BN trans for use with the 1x4 425, but this car is different.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Guest Pearville
Mike,

Where was this Protecto Plate found? As in where...on the car? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

From the owner this plate is found on the inner fender well drivers side.

Guest Pearville

The owner is working about 300 miles from home so I can't get a pic of the firewall plate for now. He was told the car was blk on blk, A/C, power windows and vents, vacuum truck release. 2 four barrel engine. I see on the data sheet they only made like 221 of the KX cars in 64. Am I correct in my understanding that the KX car in 64 was the GS equivalent for that year. Jim Cannon said he thought this car would also have a positrac rearend.

Guest Pearville
Kenneth E. Smith 7-6-64

709 Horncastle

Shannelview, Texas 77530

X-463 7K1130683X

N-446 FB 22311

463 = date code

K = 1964

1 = Flint, MI

446 = date code

FB = Flint, MI

4747 = style number

4 = Buick

Thank you very much for the time it took you to provide this information. Much appreciated, Mike

From the owner this plate is found on the inner fender well drivers side.

Reason I asked is because I have never seen such a plate? The `64 Owners Protection booklet has a place for the Protecto-Plate in the back of the booklet. Very interesting...I`d like to know more about this particular car.

Tom Mooney

The owner is working about 300 miles from home so I can't get a pic of the firewall plate for now. He was told the car was blk on blk, A/C, power windows and vents, vacuum truck release. 2 four barrel engine. I see on the data sheet they only made like 221 of the KX cars in 64. Am I correct in my understanding that the KX car in 64 was the GS equivalent for that year. Jim Cannon said he thought this car would also have a positrac rearend.

Most I have seen do have a posi but I have encountered a handful that do not. Depends on the preferences of the original owner. The posi diff was not a part of the dual quad engine option and would need to be ordered separately.

Tom Mooney

He was told the car was blk on blk, A/C, power windows and vents, vacuum truck release. 2 four barrel engine. I see on the data sheet they only made like 221 of the KX cars in 64. Am I correct in my understanding that the KX car in 64 was the GS equivalent for that year. Jim Cannon said he thought this car would also have a positrac rearend.

Mike - Maybe just a typo but so others aren't confused production for the KX engine Riviera was 2122. While the KX cars are more sought after, they don't muster the same enthusiasm as the 65 GS. Regardless they rank up towards the top of collectible Rivieras. Seems like this car you have found might be a little special. Will be interesting to see how information develops. Just the fact thats it's a factory black KX would raise my antennas if I was looking for one.

Thanks for posting

Most I have seen do have a posi but I have encountered a handful that do not. Depends on the preferences of the original owner. The posi diff was not a part of the dual quad engine option and would need to be ordered separately.

Tom Mooney

Sounds like a nice find!

Tom is once again correct, I have a '65 with the LX engine but it does not have a posi rear end, so in the case of my '65 they ordered the engine but not a posi rear end. Would like to locate one and change it out but it isn't at the top of my list "yet". Hopefully I will get to it sometime?!?

Guest Pearville
Mike - Maybe just a typo but so others aren't confused production for the KX engine Riviera was 2122. While the KX cars are more sought after, they don't muster the same enthusiasm as the 65 GS. Regardless they rank up towards the top of collectible Rivieras. Seems like this car you have found might be a little special. Will be interesting to see how information develops. Just the fact thats it's a factory black KX would raise my antennas if I was looking for one.

Thanks for posting

Thanks for correcting my number. You have provided the kind of info. I was looking for, is it rare, how rare, and is it worth taking on a basket case restoration? I am posting the CL listing so that members who are interested can talk with the owner. He sounds motivated to sell and is admittedly negotiable on price. I am not in a position to pursue this vehicle. He has many extra parts to go with the car, extra door skins, trunk lid, A/C boxes, heater cores etc. Sounds like many $ worth of parts to me. Mike.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4347059319.html

Thanks for correcting my number. You have provided the kind of info. I was looking for, is it rare, how rare, and is it worth taking on a basket case restoration? I am posting the CL listing so that members who are interested can talk with the owner. He sounds motivated to sell and is admittedly negotiable on price. I am not in a position to pursue this vehicle. He has many extra parts to go with the car, extra door skins, trunk lid, A/C boxes, heater cores etc. Sounds like many $ worth of parts to me. Mike.

Mike,

Didnt notice a pic of the protecto plate in the CL ad? Do you have other pics? I`d like an overall perspective as to where the plate is located. Any other `64 owners have such a plate on their car? Interesting...

Tom Mooney

Guest Pearville
Mike,

Didnt notice a pic of the protecto plate in the CL ad? Do you have other pics? I`d like an overall perspective as to where the plate is located. Any other `64 owners have such a plate on their car? Interesting...

Tom Mooney

No, he only sent me a close up of the plate. He said it was inner fender, drivers side. These are the only pics he sent me. Mike

post-94474-143142413644_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142413646_thumb.jpg

No, he only sent me a close up of the plate. He said it was inner fender, drivers side. These are the only pics he sent me. Mike

Thanks Mike, for the extra photos and posting the link. If I wasnt knee deep in project cars this would be a very cool project. Cruise control too!

Tom

Guest rsteere
Mike,

Tom Mooney

Tom,

I checked both of my '64's yesterday and found no such plate under the hood. One of them is a pretty much unmolested KX code. I even checked for rivet holes or broken spot welds.

Randy

Tom,

I checked both of my '64's yesterday and found no such plate under the hood. One of them is a pretty much unmolested KX code. I even checked for rivet holes or broken spot welds.

Randy

Thanks for checking Randy. I have never seen this type of plate? Anyone else have this type of plate? Wonder if it was something done by the dealer?

Tom Mooney

Guest Pearville
Thanks for checking Randy. I have never seen this type of plate? Anyone else have this type of plate? Wonder if it was something done by the dealer?

Tom Mooney

Tom and others, I spoke with the owner again yesterday and found that i was mistaken as to location of the Protecto plate. It is located on the radiator support to the passenger side of center. He has promised to send pics of the plate and also the Fischer plate, so we can learn more about this car. Mike

Guest clamshells

I've looked at dozens of these "basket cases" and found allot of junk parts ie: beat up trim, missing a left this or a right that and generally big PITA. Take it from a guy that has traveled to see many cars recently, go see the car in person or consider it a roll of the dice to purchase unseen AKA a parts car with only a KX going in its favor. The carbs would be a mojor concern along with straight air cleaner and solid floors front posts, rear window and lower fenders and Q's and trunk

Guest Pearville

Owner sent pics of the Fischer tag and the location of the protecto plate. The car is still for sale, he wants at least 3500. I am not interested in taking on another project but some guys seemed interested in the protecto plate location. Mike

post-94474-143142425111_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142425112_thumb.jpg