Gas tank sealer/liner for ethanol fuels?

Pete Phillips

This has probably been covered before, but I am having gas tank rust problems and have been told that a new type of gas tank liner or sealer is needed to stand up to the awful gas we have these days, especially if it has any ethanol in the fuel. Can anyone recommend a product and where to get it? Thanks.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

As I understand it everyone in the USA has ethanol. Just some states do not require notification at the pump so people think they don't have it.

Anyway, I hope you are refering to Gas Tank renu product. I had my 56 tank done several years ago and I run a clear filter on the fuel line, and it looks like the sealer is holding up okay.

For the 2011 "U. S. Gasoline Requirements" map, courtesty of ExxonMobil . . .

www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/Files/US_Gasoline_Map.pdf

The first maps were found about 4 years ago, in the back of the Exxon or Mobil website. Since then, more areas now have indicated areas of "different" fuels' required use.

This is the map of where "different" fuels are required in the USA, due to various environmental issues. Most are in or near ozone-non-compliance areas, according to EPA data. As you can see, there is lots of open space where such fuels are not required, BUT can still be sold . . . depending, I suspect, due to local distribution networks. As the EPA seeks to tighten existing environmental standards, for their alleged national benefits, you can expect the "white area" of the map to markedly decrease. ESPECIALLY with higher fuel economy vehicles requring less crude oil use, economic issues resulting in less driving, AND the existing mandates to use MORE ethanol in gasoline in the coming years!!!!

As mentioned, pump labelling requirements vary from state to state . . . not a federal issue. Most states do have gasoline pump labeling statutes.

The websites which list "non-ethanol gasoline" can tend to be somewhat out of date, with all due respect, but they can still have a good deal of viability for the consumer. IF the consumer has options. For many in Texas, the phrase might be "Go West from I-35", but that doesn't always work, either.

Is there a website which might have "approved Gas Tank Renu" operations?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I had the Cadillac's tank done by Gas Tank Renu before the car went back together, and I figured it was cheap insurance. They cut it open, sandblasted the interior, welded it back together, then coated it inside and out. Lifetime warranty. I think I paid $299 or $399 for it, but whatever it was, the peace of mind was worth it. The tank is invisible on the car anyway, except for the filler neck, which has a texture very similar to smooth undercoating and a flat black finish. On a car where the tank is completely out of sight, it's a slam-dunk.