1955 Buick Century 4 door Hardtop odd options?

Guest h82goslo

Guest h82goslo

I have located as the title says a very odd 55 Buick. It is a factory heater delete and Radio Delete with a 200 speedometer. It doesn't say mph or kph so I don't know if it was destined for a foreign market. Also it doesn't appear to have ever had a front bumper. I really dig the car just dont want to pay too much for it. Any info on it would be awesome.

Well, 100KPH is roughly 60 MPH, so 200 KPH would be roughly 120 MPH, which was the standard guage faceplate for the 55.

I think it would be odd that the car has a factory delete heater since KPH Speedometers would indicate a market potential in the northern climates of the American Continent. Of course it could have been destined for anywhere. Where did you find this vehicle?

BTW, I seriously doubt the car was delivered without the front bumper. More than likely it was removed by a prior owner. However, considering some of the stuff we've seen over the years I would not be willing to say that was impossible.

BTW, I seriously doubt the car was delivered without the front bumper. More than likely it was removed by a prior owner. However, considering some of the stuff we've seen over the years I would not be willing to say that was impossible.

and here is testament to that....

post-31987-143138631864_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138631867_thumb.jpg

and here is testament to that....

Is that Mr. Earl's forward control Amphi-Buick?

Certainly, there are many parts of the world where a heater would not be needed, which would also use "kph" rather than "mph". Obviously, this would be an export model with the kph speedometer, heater delete or not.

Seems like GM had some assembly plant presence in Brussels, Belgium in the 1960s, but I don't know about the 1950s timeframe.

Perhaps, with the chassis number and such, its original "build" might be determined?

Regards,

NTX5467

Guest h82goslo

Thank you guys for the feed back. I took some pictures Ill post soon. Got the build plate info and serial number. The guy that owns it swears its some special seabring race car or something. I kept telling him that I dont think it is but, he isnt buying it. Really? A four door race car? I figured it was just an export import thing.

In the 1950s, NASCAR (and similar, back then) used really "stock" cars for race cars. They were bought from a new car dealer and then prepped for racing. That usually meant some kind of "heavy duty" tires, removing the interior for the most part, possibly adding a roll cage, etc. BUT, they were usually 2-dr sedans or convertibles back then. This was when Daytona Beach was where the races were held . . . on the beach rather than on an asphalt track (which came later).

Sebring was more for sports cars than "stock" cars. It came later, like in the early 1960s, I believe. It was a road course rather than an "oval" as the NASCAR tracks all were (although many had infield road courses for sports car events.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The Fish Carburetor 1955 Buick Century M-1 as raced by Glenn “Fireball” Roberts was a 66R 2 door hardtop...

That's what I was thinking. They would probably not use a new for 55 four door hardtop due to flexing while racing anyway.

I am going by my cloudy memory here but not sure Specials had the four door hardtop in 1955. Therefore, if you wanted that new for '55 4 door hardtop, a buyer (whether in Mexico or the US) would need to step up to a Century or Roadmaster.

It seems more plausible then that it's an export model to a hot climate.

The 1955 4-door hardtops were offered in the Special and Century series only; the larger-bodied Super and Roadmaster had to wait until 1956 to gain the 4-door hardtop style.

Thanks Brian.