Didn't Quite Make It.....

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Well, as the title suggests the old girl didn't make it to the show. I got about 20 miles from home and the valves started clicking loudly. Apparently I have a clog somewhere between the oil filter and the rocker arm assembly. Don't seem to be getting any oil to the rockers/lifters. Pulled the oil filter setup off in the parking lot of a convenience store and cleaned it and all the connections out but it didn't do any good. Below is the result. Dropped her off at home to be worked on later and went on to the show. About to leave the hotel and go check out the welcome party in Hiawassee. Oh well, there's always next year!

post-75106-143138627989_thumb.jpg

When I bought my 1st '50 Buick(not run in 20 yrs) I dropped the oil pan to find grease instead of oil. The oil had turned to sludge which I scooped out with a BIG spoon. I dropped all main and rod caps and cleaned the crank with brake clean. I also disassembled the Oil Pump. I then disassembled the rocker arm assy. that had dried oil internally. That rocker arm assy. took forever to clean. Any and every oil line I cleaned to insure proper oiling. I never had a problem after I got it running.

Damm...I really loved the fact that you were out about in that nice patina'd Buick. I also know all too well the feeling of riding home with my Buick on a flatbed rather than the road.

Good thing she didn't cease like mine...hope you get out and have fun at the show anyways. After all its about the people first ;)

Guest shadetree77
When I bought my 1st '50 Buick(not run in 20 yrs) I dropped the oil pan to find grease instead of oil. The oil had turned to sludge which I scooped out with a BIG spoon. I dropped all main and rod caps and cleaned the crank with brake clean. I also disassembled the Oil Pump. I then disassembled the rocker arm assy. that had dried oil internally. That rocker arm assy. took forever to clean. Any and every oil line I cleaned to insure proper oiling. I never had a problem after I got it running.

I know what you mean. I cleaned gray sludge out of the oil filter assembly when I brought the 52 home. I never dropped the oil pan though. I assumed the guy that got it started before me had done some cleaning on it. Should have known better. It was running fine and the oil didn't look that dirty so I put it on the back burner. Guess my driving it so much the last few days broke up the junk in the pan and distributed it through my rocker arm assembly. First thing I'm doing when I get home is dropping the oil pan and the transmission pan, cleaning them out, and putting in new gaskets. Oh, and cleaning out that rocker arm assembly.

Guest shadetree77
Man I'm sorry to hear. I know you are dissapointed. Was looking forward to seeing the car and meeting you. Maybe we can still meet up. My wife and I will be there in the Rivi.

Yeah, pretty disappointed. Walking around at the "Haulin' Mash Kick-Off Bash" a little while ago really brought it home. Just have to keep telling myself I'll be there next year.:) Went down to Fatz Cafe and drowned my sorrow in a beer and cheeseburger haha. :P Some really nice cars there. Not many Buicks. Saw two 70's Rivieras. Hoping to see more the next few days. I'll take some pictures and post on here. Anyway, yeah I'll be on the lookout for ya' Mr. Earl. My dad will be wearing a grey Bob's Automobilia Buick service logo shirt and I'll be in a tan shirt with a 50's Mercury on the front. See ya' there.

Do yourself a favor and get a shotgun cleaning kit...the brushes fit right through the rocker shaft assembly. AND make sure to remove all the rocker arms and clean out ALL the passages...they will be gummed up. You will most likely find an inch of sludge in the bottom of your oil pan near the drain plug. Clean out the oil pump pickup too. I can almost guarantee nobody has done this since that car was new!

Guest Straight eight

When you dissassemble the rocker arms, KEEP THEM IN THE ORDER THEY CAME OFF In fact you may wish to number each one. This will keep em more quiet when you reassemble.

I can't find my pics when I did this job. However, after I cleaned up the oil pan I held it to the sun and found that all the baked on stuff on the pan was gone and revealed small pin holes. I got lucky an got one off ebay for $20.00. I also pulled the lifters and found most were collapsed. I disassembled them and cleaned them and I had to replace some as they were shot from sitting up for so long. All of this takes work but its better to do ALL of it now and not have to worry about seizeing the motor. You will be ahead of the game if you do it right the first time. I know what it like to want to drive it now, but good things come to those who wait. If you need any help just give me a call. --Dorsey