Historical dealer info

Adambravo

I'm trying to get a window sticker reproduction for my '63 from Triple A Enterprises (Window Sticker Reproductions for Corvette, Chevrolet, Dodge, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Buick, and Cadilac). They need something to put in the "dealer" section; unfortunately, I don't know where my car came from. Anyone know of a way to find a Buick dealer who was in business in 1963?

Thanks in advance...

I go back to Ed's note on location, location, location. Where are you from? Any idea where the car is from? I can tell you that Gandara Buick was in business in Oklahoma City in 1963, but don't know if that does you any good or not. My car was from West Texas, and I have a lot of dealer info that came with my car when I bought it.

So, where do you WANT your car to be from? The Detroit area? Some posh suburb?

Once you have an area, you start researching dealers in that area to see if they were in business in 1963.

I know where my car was bought new; it came with a pair of those tacky chromed/blue & white paint pot metal frames around both of the license plates.

Peck Buick (they went out of business in the 1988-89 time frame)

3005 Midway Drive

San Diego, CA

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)

Preferably Detroit; I've found online references to a number of older Buick dealers (most of which are no longer around), but all I've found are names (eg, "Haney Buick")--usually no address, no years of operation. I was hoping there might be an online resource I hadn't found yet. I suppose it doesn't have to be a functional dealer from exactly 1963, but it'd be nice...

My car was from West Texas, and I have a lot of dealer info that came with my car when I bought it.

Steve,

How far west in TX? My original one came from Nance Buick-Opel in El Paso. Clueless about my current one

Dale

Original owner of my car was a lady doctor from Stinnett, Texas, which is in the panhandle, North of Amarillo. This car came with about an inch thick pile of papers in addition to an original owners manual and a chassis manual. I will look this weekend to see exactly who the dealer was, as I don't remember the name at this point.

My '63 came from the original owner, a chemical engineer who worked for Phillips petroleum co. in Ponca City, OK. As Steve did, I got a complete pile of papers and a chronilogical record of all maintenance, a set of chassis and body manuals, and the original window sticker. Pat Murphy Buick in Ponca City delivered the car. I noticed on the site where all of the dealerships are listed that the dates are not conclusive, nor are the zone/dealer numbers accurate for my '63. Both those numbers are on the window sticker as well. Pat Murphy Buick is listed as '65, and the a couple of dates in the 70's, but not in '63. His zone/dealer number on the site list is different than the zone/dealer number on my window sticker. Minute details but details just the same. What was there in '65 may not have been there in '63 and vice versa.

Ed

I had a reproduction window sticker made for my '64 by Mike Trommeter, who hangs out over on the v8buick forum. He did a great job and I was very pleased. You can check out his web site here...

Buick Window Stickers

I told him the name of the town where my car was purchased, and he had a database of the dealers that were in existence then. Not sure where he got the info from, but it made it easy for me. You may want to check with him before you place your order. I always prefer to buy from a guy who is into Buicks as much as I am... Just my two cents. ;)

My '63 came from the original owner, a chemical engineer who worked for Phillips petroleum co. in Ponca City, OK. As Steve did, I got a complete pile of papers and a chronilogical record of all maintenance, a set of chassis and body manuals, and the original window sticker. Pat Murphy Buick in Ponca City delivered the car

This is good information to know if I ever get a repro made from Mike T. I lived in Ponca City and local area for quite a few years and still visit there often. I know some guys in the car business there who know _everyone_ in the car business there and will ask them if they remember Pat Murphy Buick.

Side note: The engineer may have worked for CONOCO in Ponca City instead of Phillips.

-BEPNewt

Brian,

You're probably right about CONOCO: I bought the car from the guy in 1982, so it's been a while. On the top line of my window sticker, to the right of the Pat Murphy Buick Co. there's a set of numbers 21-619. I think this is a zone number-dealer number. The only thing I can see that's really different about the repo's that Mike makes is that the VIN number on my window sticker is in a totally different size and style of font. Plus on the example on Mike's website there was no FB number anyplace.

But, having seen a couple of Mike's in person, I'd say that ifyou don't have the original and you have to "create" one, his are the better ones out there.

Ed

I just pulled out my owners manual, and hand written on the last page is the selling dealer information. Like Ed, I found a few discrepancies in the list linked above. My dealer was Chuck Naiman Buick Pontiac in Borger, Texas. List says Zone 20, Code 401 and 1965. My book says Zone 28 (there is no Zone 28 on the list) and Code 402, hand written on Feb. 20, 1963. Not sure exactly how accurate this list is for the early years.

Also found the application for the Personalized Identification Plate complete in my paperwork. I may scan this in later this weekend, as I haven't seen one posted here before. Any interest?

Thanks for posting the list! A lot of good information in there, but I also found some flaky things. Looking through Zone 21, I found some typos in the dealer's name (for example, "DRAND BUICK" and then right under it "ORAND BUICK" with the same dealer's code). The "Years Active" had some gaps, too, but generally looked good from what I recall. It appears things top at model year 1981.

What I wish most of the newer marketing types would look at, as in the case of Zone 21 Dallas, is how Buick was represented in almost every smaller town in Texas, in addition to the major metro areas! Certainly not that way now!!!

Thanks, again!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

They may have done you a favor by omitting the purse hook. I believe the purse hook was a dealer installed option and not available as a factory installed option so it would not be listed on the window sticker.

Also, option N4 does appear in my `63 lit and in addition to the items mentioned also includes a litter container. However, there is a footnote for the option which states it is not available with bucket seats. So, if one trusts the factory lit this option also may not have been available as factory installed on the Riviera...:confused:

Tom Mooney

They may have done you a favor by omitting the purse hook. I believe the purse hook was a dealer installed option and not available as a factory installed option so it would not be listed on the window sticker.

Also, option N4 does appear in my `63 lit and in addition to the items mentioned also includes a litter container. However, there is a footnote for the option which states it is not available with bucket seats. So, if one trusts the factory lit this option also may not have been available as factory installed on the Riviera...:confused:

Tom Mooney

Good point on the coat hook.

Regarding the N4 option limitations--didn't all '63s have bucket seats?

Yes, bucket seats were standard on all Rivieras; that's part of the paragraph on the bottom of the sticker. It shoud say "PADDED BUCKET SEATS, FRONT AND REAR." That's one of the descrepancies I mentioned. Your sticker doesn't include the word "Padded" nor "Front and Rear."

Here's the nitty-gritty on the '63 codes.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=63_options_regular

My car has the right hand visor mirror "Vanity Mirror", and purse hook, but I have the PO's maintenance log that shows that he purchased these, along with"Carpet savers and Handy mats," as a dealer option when the car was delivered. In a "1963 Buick Accessories" fold-out that the PO gave me, it show a picture of the LITTER BASKET. It's a cube shaped basket that has sand filled saddle bags on the bottom of it to hold it in place on the drive line hump. The only place for it in a Riviera would be in the back seat where the drive line hump is exposed.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)