Hershey and Golf Carts

1925 Gray

Guest Stonefish

I was waiting for someone to mention dogs...I'm a fan of dogs and made note on the amount of dogs and the great variety!

Basenji, Siberian Husky, Pomeranian, Keeshond, Schipperke, Beagle, Standard Poodle, Chesapeake Bay Retrevier, Labrador Retrevier, Golden Retrevier, English Springer Spaniel, Border Terrier, Norwich Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier, Boston Terrier, Jack Russell or Parson Terrier, Dachshunds, German Shepard, Bearded Collie, Mastiff, Boxer, Great Dane, Rottweiler, Newfoundland, Bichon Frise, Chihuahua, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Puggle and the all american Heinz 57! Great selection this year! Never saw Great Danes there before and I saw three this year! But...I think the Labs or Chuhuahuas were the most common!

:D:D:D:D Ron, hope you are able to get your tongue out of your cheek!

People, remember, a lot of events are held on public grounds or on property that the landowner sets the rules. Has anyone seen the kennel at the side of the old stadium?

Thankfully, there were no horses, chickens and cows to deal with! Think about all the issues that are popping up here and what size of a police force it would take to address all of these items. The region already has an army of people handling the essentials of the meet.

Many of you get to see one side of these problems and don't see the abuse and crap the volunteers have to deal with after giving up their fun at Hershey so you and I can have fun. Imagine trying to tell someone to leave because of their dog...if it is on a leash it is near impossible. The confrontations with the public would be enormous.

I saw one too many disputes this past weekend...let's try to live in this imperfect world. If you have suggestions on how to make the meet better or a remedy for these problems send them along to the region.

Here's my take on the whole golf cart/scooter issue. I completely understand having to be ADA compliant. However, how is a full sized golf cart a personal mobility device? A one man three or four wheel scooter yes, but a full size golf cart - no. Steve, you mentioned the large theme park in Orlando in one of your posts - I was there last year, and I don't recall any golf carts on the premises. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think AACA or HERCO would be breaking any laws in not permitting full size golf carts on the show field. A golf cart is not a personal mobility device - most seat 4 people! Why should the other able-bodied family members get to sit on it? Only the person with the disability should be allowed on the mobility device. All these carts became more of a problem since all the fields became paved. Imagine these things trying to navigate through the mud 10 years ago.

A friend phoned me during the Flea Market.

He, his adult son, and his legitimately disabled wife were staying in a hotel near Lancaster, and had rented a car and a scooter for the wife. She has her Louisiana-issued handicap tag.

When they tried to enter the Car Corral they were told that the scooter would not be permitted to enter, and that they must go back to the stadium - a very long walk for an overweight man in his 60s - where he was told that they were out of tags - nothing they could do!!

They were never able to do the car corral with the wife.

He was also told that her scooter would not be allowed on the show field on Saturday.

All in all a bit disappointing for a first-timer.

Here's my take on the whole golf cart/scooter issue. I completely understand having to be ADA compliant. However, how is a full sized golf cart a personal mobility device? A one man three or four wheel scooter yes, but a full size golf cart - no. Steve, you mentioned the large theme park in Orlando in one of your posts - I was there last year, and I don't recall any golf carts on the premises. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think AACA or HERCO would be breaking any laws in not permitting full size golf carts on the show field. A golf cart is not a personal mobility device - most seat 4 people! Why should the other able-bodied family members get to sit on it? Only the person with the disability should be allowed on the mobility device. All these carts became more of a problem since all the fields became paved. Imagine these things trying to navigate through the mud 10 years ago.

Actually the ADA does specifically include golf carts in their legal definition of "Personal Mobility Device".

Guest Torino75

Bikes not allowed? Gee, We saw numerous bikes all 3 days at Hershey and no one telling them they couldn't use them. Some were young teens, others were middle agers.

Bikes not allowed? Gee, We saw numerous bikes all 3 days at Hershey and no one telling them they couldn't use them. Some were young teens, others were middle agers.

The man that does the announcements used to go through the list of what all folks were not allowed to use in the flea market areas. It seemed like each year the list got longer as new items started showing up. Now he just says "Foot traffic only in the flea market fields" (or something close to that). And folks still ignore him. :o

I did witness, as did someone else, one of the security personnel explaining to a man that he could not ride his bicyle in the flea market fields. He was amazed to hear that he wouldn't be allowed in with the bike.

Could not help to make a comment. I believe in having fun, and that the way you see things is often dependent on what angle you’re looking at them. And, you just got to smile. I'm very thankful that I can walk, and bless the folks that show up that cannot, as most of us are getting older.

Late Friday afternoon, my friend Tom and I must have looked like we were “deer in the headlights” as two fellows riding three wheel rascals approached us moving very rapidly. We were caught in the middle of the road beside the Giant Center just coming up to the Food Vendor Area. Hastily we decided to stay still, as there was no where to run. Thankfully, danger soon passed and we were good to go. We looked at each other, shook our heads, chuckled a little, and continued on our way to check out the vendors.

We commonly fear the last sounds we may hear during the annual Hershey trek is: “Ting, ting, ting....... Thump, thump…...

But, I wouldn’t miss it!

Well, I'll admit that it's tough driving through the flea market without hitting someone....my son and I left early Friday, I'll admit, we'd had an interesting sequence of developmental challenges the entire trip...so left the Green Field early, driving the Corvette.

I will say that I took it very slow, and with great patience, but I will also tell you that my smiling face and a wave eliminated any annoyance with progress that I saw, when someone moved out of the way I'd slow and say thanks out the window.

Somehow I think some of the resentment of the mobile devices is not directed toward the device itself, but the attitude (and I was taught, in corporate, that there's no such thing as attitude, so don't mention it).

If the people on the mobile devices were smiling and friendly, as a whole, you'd hear less complaints. It's the ones who think they're the chosen ones, get out of my way, I'll park it here don't care whose way it's in, those are the ones that get resentment.

Smile, be courteous, and all that flower power stuff....and some of this will go away

I would like to know,who enforces the rules,I will not get on a rant ,Peter scolds me,but who enforces the rules,I also seen a fellow who was riding a bike,the gal told him to push it ,he did not and rode away.I also had folks on motorized carts ,griping about my wagon in the way,and they were at no best 30

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)

Here is my first hand account of what happened with the young dad and the two boys with the razor scooters. Which to his credit he did have them put them back and in the car and they left for the fields before Bill and I did so I know they did leave them behind.

One of his comments was if they couldn't ride them then he would find a used HoverRound and let them ride on that next year.

My comment back was, "Then you will have to provide proof from the state where you live that they are handicapped and require the use of a personal motorized cart to get around so that you can get the authorization tag for 2012 to have on the cart in the flea market fields."

Since he is a member of the United States Army .... I would think that he of all people would understand about rules and regulations and the need to follow them and not try to find a way around them. I know he is in the Army because of the digital camo pattern pack he carried with his name on it and the ARMY license plate frame on the SUV they came in.

The rules had to have been put in place to try, as best as they can, for the folks in charge to offer as safe a venue as can be done with that many folks there from all over the world.

Now if only people would follow the rules. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...