1923 Kissel Deluxe Brougham Opera Sedan

All,

Thought I would start posting a few pics of my restoration project for the 1923 Kissel Model 6-55 Deluxe Brougham Opera Sedan which I started a few months ago. The car was stored for 35 years in a Florida shed with the top wood rotted away, but everthing else excellent, original. It is one of only two 1923 Kissel Brougham Sedans which have survived. It is a big, beautiful car.

The first pic is the car as found. The second is at my shop after I carved and corrected all the wood. The girl is my daughter.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

post-58797-143138607455_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143138607475_thumb.jpg

All,

I am going to restore this one to Concours standards, body-off, every nut and bolt. Hope to show it at several Concours in 2012. It's all in pieces now (July 2011) and I have started sandblasting and reassembling the frame. The body is being painted and the engine and rear end overhauled. When I figure out how to post more pics, I will update this.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

post-58797-143138610096_thumb.jpg

All,

Thought I would start posting a few pics of my restoration project for the 1923 Kissel Model 6-55 Deluxe Brougham Opera Sedan which I started a few months ago. The car was stored for 35 years in a Florida shed with the top wood rotted away, but everthing else excellent, original. It is one of only two 1923 Kissel Brougham Sedans which have survived. It is a big, beautiful car.

The first pic is the car as found. The second is at my shop after I carved and corrected all the wood. The girl is my daughter.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Beautiful! Oh...the car is kinda cute, too.

Folks,

In answer to some of your questions, this auto is being restored to showcase, work-of-art concours level. It is going to end up better than "factory fresh". Right now, I have the frame, suspension, brakes, and axles nearly 100% blasted, painted, shined and buffed, and in excellent working order. And all the Kissel brass bushings in the suspension hand polished. As you can see in the first pictures, I have this winter, already replaced all the top wood roof and windows. I had Frames Unlimited custom make picture frames which I then used for the oval window framing and this was absolutely perfect.

I have a stock car mechanic in Armada, Michigan who rebuilds engines for me. He is currently overhauling the Kissel 6-55 L-Head engine. He did my 6-45 engine last year and it is excellent. He is one of those few remaining tractor/old car guys that instictively know old engines. Many tractor parts actually work in Kissel engines, as you would expect in a car made in Wisconsin.

I have a custom painter in Saginaw Michigan who paints hot rods to magazine quality and has done a beautiful Kissel Speedster a few years ago. Slow, but to perfection. He has the rockers and body painted and will finish the fenders and doors this fall.

I am doing all the assembly myself. I did my 1927 Chevrolet complete restoration from start to finish about 5 years ago in less than a year. Nights and weekends when my wife allowed it, as I am also working full time. As this Kissel is bigger and far more exotic, I am confident that it will be done in less than two years. I am hoping by mid summer, next year.

When I figure out how to post bigger pictures, I will post more.

RON

Ron.............The car looks good. By the way, I just sold you some original Kissel brochures on Ebay and I have a few more coming in the future so stay tuned. Small world, huh? Keep up the great work on the car.................Dave in KY (Lucky 13 Publications) :)

:oAll,

Here are a number of pictures of the car's disassembly, body painting, rocker panel painting, and rebuilding of Stromberg OS2 carb. these are current as of July, 2011. I figured out how to shrink the pictures to fit, but not how to rotate them.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

1923 Kissel Brougham Painter5.pdf

1923 Kissel Brougham Painter2.pdf

Edited by ron hausmann (see edit history)

• 10 months later...

All,

Here are some recent pictures of the 1923 Kissel Model 6-55 Brougham Opera Sedan restoration. Body, fenders, and everything from the cowl back are complete. I have the doors all ready to mount, but have left them off. Upholstery and engine need to be installed but that's finally it!. My mechanic had to cast new connecting rods as available ones just did not dimensionally work. Expensive, but now we are sure things won't come flying out the side of the engine, as the original one did.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

post-58797-14313906254_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143139062547_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143139062554_thumb.jpg