Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheel Problem

Only Buicks

I decided to put a set of Radials on my 55 which has Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheels. The new tires came in late last week so on Saturday I had them mounted, wow what a differance in the ride and handling. On Sunday morning I noticed one of the rear tires looked low so I pumped it up to 32 lbs and hoped it was just under inflated. This morning it was low again, it had lost almost 20 lbs overnight. I jacked the car up, removed the tire, put on my shorts and took the tire into the pool, sure enough there's a leak in one of the spokes. I have no idea what to do, I am supposed to be driving the 55 to Danvers on Wed morning.

Anyone ever had a similar problem, I don't beleive any of those products that you squirt into the tire to seal it will help as they seem to work on centrifugal force which in my case is in the wrong direction.

Any ideas?

Edited by 38Buick (see edit history)

Isn't there supposed to be a thick rubber "seal" stuck on the inside of the rim, sealing the ends of the spokes for use with tubeless tires??? AND to provide a smoooother surface for the tube to be next to???

Of course, "tube it"!

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Be aware the tube may only be a partial solution. Coker tire sells what they call a 'flap' I believe, which is inserted in the tire and prevents the spokes ends inside the wheel from puncturing the tube. I would think wrapping the inside of the wheel with Duct Tape would probably accomplish the same purpose.

Bill Madden

Be aware the tube may only be a partial solution. Coker tire sells what they call a 'flap' I believe, which is inserted in the tire and prevents the spokes ends inside the wheel from puncturing the tube. I would think wrapping the inside of the wheel with Duct Tape would probably accomplish the same purpose.

Bill Madden

Yup, Bill is right, you should have a Flap. I've used duck tape on older narrow wheels in the past and it works, but I like a flap better. Dandy Dave!

I recently picked up a nice set of used wire wheels from Wheel Vintiques.

One had a questionable silicone seal on it, so I took it to a local wire wheel shop - mostly motorcycle stuff - and had a new big, fat seal of silicone put in. Two weeks later, no leaks.

• Like 1