1951 Buick Roadmaster

Guest SSPhoto

Guest SSPhoto

I have recently aquired a 1951 Buick Roadmaster. Can anyone tell me what the distinguishing characteristics may be for the Riviera? Im not sure if I have a Roadmaster or a Roadmaster Riviera. I have found some numbers and details from the car. The number 161462?? and Dynaflow 41D. Help please.. I know nothing about antique autos and maybe there is a number one the car that I'm not seeing:rolleyes:

post-76317-143138563551_thumb.jpg

post-76317-143138563556_thumb.jpg

post-76317-143138563559_thumb.jpg

Unless I missed something. My old Cars Price guide only lists a Riviera 4 door sedan in the roadmaster line. It doesn't show a standard roadmaster 4 door sedan. If it's a roadmaster and a 4 door it's a riviera. I'm not an expert though and the standard catalog of American cars didn't denote any differences between a riviera and a regular 4 door in the Roadmaster line for 1951. Hope this helps.

Roadmaster was Buick's top offering, equal to a Cadillac in some ways, and built using the same body as a Cadillac.

The Roadmaster Riviera was a super deluxe Roadmaster on a 4 inch longer wheelbase frame.

This was one of the biggest most luxurious cars you could buy in 1951 and one of the most expensive. They were famous for their soft pillowy ride and smooth action of the straight eight engine and Dynaflow transmission. But if you wanted speed, performance and fast cornering you looked elsewhere.

To put it another way, there are boulevard cars and road cars, the Roadmaster Riviera was king of the boulevard cars.

Buick made 3 lines of cars, the Special, Super and Roadmaster. The Special and Super used the GM B body which they shared with Oldsmobile. The Roadmaster used the C body which they shared with Cadillac. Not many parts will interchange between the Roadmaster and the lesser models.

Hello SSPhoto, congratulations on acquiring the Buick, a fine old car regardless of model ID!

As you have found there were a number of models and there can be confusion, especially with the use of the Riviera name, which denoted two door hardtops and two larger four door sedans. The best way to ID the car (which is important) is to read the Style Number on the data plate on the firewall. If your Style Number is 41D then you have a Special four door Deluxe sedan, one of the more popular models that year. For a little quick info take a look at Buicks.net | Buick Help right page , good luck, Todd C

SSPhoto, the car pictured is actualy a Special. And if the 41D you posted is on the data plate under the hood , then Special Deluxe is correct.

To clarify the Riviera thing. In 1949, the first Tudor Hard top was made. It was called a Riviera. In 1950, a stretched wheelbase/body Roadmaster and Super was built. These were/are called Riviera Sedans. They are not "Hardtops". They are Fordor Sedans. The Tudor Hardtops are called Roadmaster/Super Rivieras.

History lesson over.

SS, if you are not a Buick Club of America member, may I encourage you to join.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Straight Eight Buicks. Scroll on down to the Buick forums and JOIN IN.

Ben