Weekend Tour

Thriller

Joseph and I spent Saturday / Sunday on a tour with the local club. I believe we had 25 cars and 50 people. There were three Buicks in the mix - my '41, a '52 Canadian-built Special (owned by a new BCA member), and a '57 Roadmaster (NorthernWayne on the forum here).

First stop was at the business of a club member called Canadian Heritage Boats - they build and refinish wooden boats, which are primarily used on Lake of the Woods. Second stop was Sandale - a local restoration and fabrication shop. The third stop on the tour was at a local collector's place...he has an eclectic collection including tractors, trucks, and Buicks. He's got a couple of nice 1927s (one American, one McLauglin-Buick), a '28 that is without a roof after falling off a transport, and a converted truck (see the Buick Trucks thread). Other neat stuff was a Diamond T cab over truck and an American Lafrance ladder truck. There were a variety of tractors, with at least a couple of Cletrac models. We had lunch at this stop, then drove to a museum that houses a large collection of stationary engines, including a 30 hp Crossley (attached photo of it running). We then made our way to the hotel for the night, had a rest, then put on a bit of a show at the nearby A&W before heading back to the hotel for a social evening.

Sunday morning saw us visiting a national historic site, which is a Mennonite pioneer village. They are still working on developing the site, but we were given some of the history involved and shown through two of the housebarns before being served lunch. We then visited the local Harley-Davidson dealer. He has quite a collection of Harley-Davidsons and is an avid early Ford V8 collector. Finally we went to the country club for supper to end the tour.

All told, I put on just over 200 miles on the car by the time I got home. It performed well, although is a bit slow to start and seemed to be developing some issues on the last leg home. The tour was a lot of fun.

post-32068-143138556847_thumb.jpg

post-32068-14313855685_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556856_thumb.jpg

post-32068-14313855686_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556865_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556869_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556874_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556878_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556883_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138556886_thumb.jpg

Joseph loved it. He's a real car nut, and has grown up in the club, seeing as we joined before he was born. I think the BCA national meets have kind of been training as he's comfortable around car folk. He had the camera more of the time than I did, although I'm not sure any of the photos posted are his.

We had cars from the 1930s to the 1980s (minimum 25 years old to be a club car) representing 9 (I think) manufacturers. We turned heads everywhere we went. Also, being out in the country, driving was a lot more relaxed than if we had been in the city.

Guest ewing

yes, great touring weekend, and I have a few more pictures... just need to find the time to resize them.

and, we have a talented fiddle player ( 34 Ford cabriolet) and a skilled harmonica player ( 47 Cadillac 4 dr) , joined by a band leader ( 56 Monarch... Canadian version of the Mercury I believe) on the keyboard... made for a great saturday evening of music, ( dancing!) and a few cold beers.

Carol says I refer to guys by the car they drive.. so for Carol, they would be, Norbert, Jack and Doug, respectively.

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

I don't recall if I'd gotten the paint cleaning / polishing / waxing done before taking it to Seattle or not. Really all we've done besides some odd mechanical items is to tidy up the paint. It is a great car in part because it is imperfect - that way you don't worry about stone chips, or getting it a bit wet or similar.

I must admit that the longer driving sections did lead me to think that the seat isn't the most comfortable I've been in. It does give me second thoughts about driving it to Charlotte...I might need to find something to add to make it a bit better if I am to consider driving it that sort of distance. Of course, at around 10 mpg (Imperial gallons), it would be more economical to drive the Reatta.

Of course, at around 10 mpg (Imperial gallons), it would be more economical to drive the Reatta.

Yikes! If I remember correctly an imperial gallon is 20% larger than a US gallon, so that would be like 8 mpg. That car should be capable of nearly double that figure...you might have to visit the Technical Forum for some specific guidance on that straight 8.

Willie

I was sent a few photos by BCA #44607. The one with Joseph and I at the car was at a point where I spoke about the car. At the various stops on the weekend, we took a few moments to ask a couple of tour participants to talk about their cars. This was my turn. The other one is at the museum in St. Joseph. The small building in the background is the one that houses the Crossley engine.

post-32068-14313856034_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138560345_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

DEREK, weekend tours were definitely the best times with my car club, the Alberta Post-War Car Society. I only had a tour-ready car for a couple of years, a '56 Dodge Coronet, but I would often bring my MGB. Sometimes a pal would lend me an old car to take on tour. One loaner was a '64 LeSabre Custom 2-door hardtop, another was a '46 New Yorker Highlander sedan (Fluid Drive takes a lot of participation on the part of the driver). We went up to Jasper on the first club tour and later we hit Drumheller, Grande Prairie, and lots of small Alberta towns, where local car clubs would host us.

It's been over 30 years since we started the APWCS and I think the club is still operating. Must look them up when I get my Roadmaster running this summer. It was great to seen another one in your photos.