New Member from Illinois

Pomeroy41144

Forum Members,

I am a new member to the forum. I am in the fresh water business and I am a WWII historian and author. I am looking forward to learning more about antique cars and their owners here on the forum. My father has always been an enthusiast and it rubbed off on me and my two brothers.

I used to collect early 1970s Cadillacs and Buicks. I had some nice ones too. I got married and sold all of the Cadillacs. I have been married for some time now and my wife is stuck with me. As a consequence, I feel safe enough in my marriage to start looking for an antique car. I am looking to buy a pre-war V-8 Ford or pre-war Straight Eight Buick (my father and brother collect Buick Straight-8 cars). Leaning toward the old Ford for a variety of reasons. We'll see how it shakes out in the end.

Glad to be here and looking forward to enjoying my membership.

Thanks.

Tony

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Tony,

I agree with West, but then you will note us Buick guys think all old cars are nice, but Buicks are nicer. Seriously, you might want to scan the various quite active Buick forum sections. We will look for you there. Oh yes, there are some Ford sections also.

John

Guest billybird

Welcome to the AACA forum! It's good to have another enthusiast among our ranks. This is a great place to discuss old iron and the AACA is a great club. By the way, I'm a pre-war Ford owner; but you can't go wrong with either car.

Forum Members,

I am a new member to the forum. I am in the fresh water business and I am a WWII historian and author. I am looking forward to learning more about antique cars and their owners here on the forum. My father has always been an enthusiast and it rubbed off on me and my two brothers.

I used to collect early 1970s Cadillacs and Buicks. I had some nice ones too. I got married and sold all of the Cadillacs. I have been married for some time now and my wife is stuck with me. As a consequence, I feel safe enough in my marriage to start looking for an antique car. I am looking to buy a pre-war V-8 Ford or pre-war Straight Eight Buick (my father and brother collect Buick Straight-8 cars). Leaning toward the old Ford for a variety of reasons. We'll see how it shakes out in the end.

Glad to be here and looking forward to enjoying my membership.

Thanks.

Tony

It would be worth a trip to Vincennes, IN to visit the military museum run by Jim Osborn.

Welcome to both you and your wife. I hope that she will come along with you as you get back into the hobby.

There are many women like myself that not only enjoy the vehicles but we have entered into the judging end of the hobby as well.

There is a place in the AACA for every man, woman and child (there is a wonderful Youth Program) that loves antique vehicles of every variety. :)

Shop Rat is correct, and to add to her comments, our wives also love the TOURING part of the hobby.

Dale and I just returned to our home from the 23rd AACA Founders Tour, an annual event held in varied locations since 1988, and open to vehicles built since 1932 and at least 25 years old. There are also many other tours, some based upon the age of a vehicle, others open to any and all AACA vehicles.

AACA has many venues to offer -- get involved in a local Region - meet the people - talk to Buick guys, Cadillac guys, Packard guys, etc.

post-54863-143138522831_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138522833_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138522836_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138522838_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138522855_thumb.jpg

Thanks all.

My wife and I are looking forward to getting back into the old car scene.

Tony,

I agree with West, but then you will note us Buick guys think all old cars are nice, but Buicks are nicer. Seriously, you might want to scan the various quite active Buick forum sections. We will look for you there. Oh yes, there are some Ford sections also.

John

John,

I agree, Buicks are nicer. As a family we have been buying them for over 50 years--all the way back to my father's first Buick, a 1956, or my mother's current 2006 model. I had a beautiful gold 1972 Electra 225 (4D) with black top--probably one of the nicest old cars I have ever owned.

Like I said, I am leaning toward the pre-war V-8 Ford (1937 thru 1939), but if a decent 1940 Buick Model 41, Model 61 or Model 71 comes along at the right price, I just might change my mind.

In fact, I followed a 1941 Buick ad to this website/forum. It was the green 1941 Super model 51 in New Jersey that was offered for $3,999 and sold in 15 minutes. Sorry I missed out on that one.

Looking forward to enjoying the forum.

Thanks.

Tony

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

In fact, I followed a 1941 Buick ad to this website/forum. It was the green 1941 Super model 51 in New Jersey that was offered for $3,999 and sold in 15 minutes. Sorry I missed out on that one.

Yes, there were a number of us here that followed that listing. I figured it wouldn't last very long.

That being said, Welcome aboard"! I just joined up here about a year ago, and let me tell you from experience about our membership. I was new to the old car hobby, and there were many of the members here that sort of took me under their own wings to show me the ropes, and helped me out in more ways than I can remember (or count). There are a bunch of great people here, thats for sure. I could go on talking good about them for 10 pages, and it still wouldn't be enough. I've said it before, and of course I'm going to say it again. Asking these people questions about old cars is better than looking up the answers in the back of a book! A true wealth of information!

I look forward to reading your posts!

Marty,

Awesome Cadillac Convertible!!!

Both cars are a lot of fun but what you might consider to satisfy your WWII lust is a GPW(Ford) or MB(Willys) Jeep.AACA just established a class for these and other military vehicles.

Dave, maybe a 1942 Ford Fordor Staff Car (or Cadillac or Buick)? A Dodge WC Command Car would be very cool.

Quote: ShopRat

Welcome to both you and your wife. I hope that she will come along with you as you get back into the hobby.

There are many women like myself that not only enjoy the vehicles but we have entered into the judging end of the hobby as well.

Susan, my wife is excited by the prospect of our getting an old car. She wants to drive it too. No problem there.

Thanks all who replied.

Tony

Edited by Pomeroy41144
won't start when hot (see edit history)