"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

KDirk

Well,

This is a bit of belated post (since I have been busy all week) but I thought I would formally announce that I now have two Reattae. Got my 1988 white over burgundy last Saturday, drove it home from Ellis, Kansas. The trip went smoothly (except for a couple of close calls with State Patrol speed traps - thankfully they chose other more flashy targets) and she is safely home with 36,600 on the clock. Remarkable for a 23 year old car.

Now the fun (and spending) begins. First order of business is a tuneup (slightly rough at idle and over 60MPH) and maybe a change to Delco iginition (still has the Magnavox setup, but may be good. Will know after the tuneup).

Need to put repair/replace the power antenna and pop a couple of minor dings, touch up some small rock chips and condition the leather seats (very good shape, just a bit dry). I'll probably try to get this one ready for show by mid-late June, so I'll be repainting the the side mirror housings to freshen them up, and repaint the side molidngs to do away with some minor scuffs and dimples in the plastic (out comes the heat gun).

No pictures to upload yet, my computer has decided it isn't talking to my camera and my SD card reader is also misbehaving; maybe a USB port problem. I'll get some pics up soon.

Two quick questions:

1. Is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) known to be a problem on 1988 440T4 transmissions? I'm getting a code E024, and the ECM is not getting a signal from the VSS. Wiring seems to check out, so it is either the VSS or the ECM. Have a spare ECM I can swap in, but was curious if I should suspect the VSS.

2. Anyone know a source of a NOS 88 hood emblem, or like new one? The sunburst has a crack in the enamel that is starting to pop off. Not too bad yet, but I will want it perfect (naturally) by the time I am done getting her back in show condition. I have a NOS 89-91 emblem, but am trying to stay historically accurate.

KDirk

Yes, factory pin stripes will be re-applied. Still debating black vs. body color moldings on the redo. I make no secret about the fact I prefer the latter, as I think it looks cleaner and more contemporary. That said, I am trying to decide if I really want them both to look virtually identical on the exterior. I'm leaning that way but have not convinced myself just yet.

Some other small stuff includes the trunk lock cover (all the matte black covering is gone, glad I ordered two from Barney when I did the 91 over) and some minor interior stuff: drivers side color keyed door trim along trailing edge of door opening is cracked, and the bezels around the upper end of the seat belts are checking badly. May have had armor-all applied at some point years ago, I've seen this kind of damage before. I am putting together a parts list.

KDirk

I think Kevin ment black or body color side molding.... not pinstripe. This was a no cost option, the order form suggested black (cheaper for Buick)

In any given year there were about 7-8 pinstripe colors offered. The order form suggested the pinstripe match the interior. As noted a blue stripe on a blue car would be fruitless, same with red, silver, or driftwood. The trick here is there was no restriction on the color of the stripe. In theory you could order any exterior color with any of the pinstripe colors offered.

While I have never seen one, I think Sapphire blue would look fine with a gold stripe, most have white, or grey stripes.

Some Reatta owners may not be aware there was a pinstripe delete option and there was a $45 credit on the window sticker.

Kevin,

I do have a very nice '88 hood ornament and as you know having bought parts from me before, it will not be too expensive. Dave must have been thinking of someone else.

I was going to send you an email about the emblem but see in a follow up post you may need some other things also, so send me a list and I should be able to help.

Jim

Guest Reattamac

I just put a vehicle Speed Sensor and I have a speedometer again. I had to replace my IP before I looked further. I replaced the VSS this AM and it is UP!!!!!!!!! NOTE: According to my manual there are TWO possible speed sensors. Maybe Barney or another of our experts can tell us for sure.

Jim,

Will be in touch as soon as I compile the master list, I want to try and not miss anything I need so you can ship it in one run. If you will, please "reserve" the hood emblem, as I will plan on getting it, among other things.

Reattamac,

Before you replaced the VSS, were you popping a code E024 (failure to lock up TCC in 4th gear?) as that is my symptom. Speedo works fine, but on reading the ECM data for VSS input, it only shows 0 MPH, so it is either the VSS, wiring or the ECM. I cannot find a problem with the wiring as yet, so I am trying to decide where to go next. VSS is easier to access, and would be easier to change than the ECM but don't want to start easter egging parts to nail this problem down. I have an ECM so it can swap it in (it's an 89 so will need to swap the MEMCAL) to test whether the existing one is bad.

KDirk

My triple blue has gold pinstripes and now has gold crosslace wheels like the white car. Think I prefer the Enkeis but the new Michelins are on the gold wheels.

Then again I may do something stupid, came across a 90 Allante with both tops that spent its whole life in central Florida. Going to take a look tomorrow. Then will have all the GM two-seat orphans of the period.