New to AACA and to car restoration

Guest Eleanor

Guest Eleanor

Hi!

My husband and I are the proud new owners of a 1939 Buick Special and have been spending a lot of time looking at this forum. So many great tips and stories!

We are new to restoration, but not new to cars in general. We'd thought we'd add a link to our blog in case there's any interest. We'd love to hear from you!

1939 Buick Special Restoration

Eric and Elizabeth

Eric and Elizabeth (and Eleanor),

Thanks for joining and welcome to the forum. We hope you will consider, if you have not already done so, joining the BCA. It looks like you have a rather complete car, with not many missing pieces.

Also, as it is not too far distance, you might consider a trek to Danvers, MA the week after July 4 for the BCA National Meet, where you will really get a flavor for Buicks. Details on both are found elsewhere on the forum.

John

Welcome to the '39 Buick gang. You're among friends here and there is no shortage of brainpower and experience. It never ceases to amaze me just how many of these old beasts are still around.

As we'd say down here "Good on ya"

Danny

Guest Eleanor

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply to our post. We will certainly have a look at joining BCA. We had not heard of it until you posted, so thanks for that too! We've been looking at the website and there sure are some beautiful cars on it. Wow!

The BCA national meet sounds like a lot of fun! Really hope we can make it and will certainly try!

Elizabeth

Eric & Elizabeth,

Welcome, we all hope you enjoy the ride.... I too encourage you to join the BCA and in doing so, you can also join the PreWar Division (PWD) for free. We email newsletters every other month and have a PWD AfterTour starting Sunday after the BCA National each year. It seems that at the restoration rate you are going, it won't be long before you can join us on one of our AfterTours....

Guest Grant Magrath

As Danny said, welcome to the 39 gang! I'd like to think that between us, we could cover off most problems you're likely to run into. I found searching for 1939 Buick posts in this section to be really useful. Don't have a website for ours, but there are a few pics floating around here somewhere!

Cheers

Grant

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the welcome! Do you have a link so we can have a look at your projects?

Elizabeth

Well Elizabeth, I must confess to not being smart enough to be able to create a nice web page and I am still a ways off having mine on the road. I started restoring mine over 20 years ago and along the way an MG, women, several children, work and life in general got in the way. I have though completely rebuilt the engine, transmission, torque tube and diff, brakes and suspension etc.... I am up to doing the body at the moment and hope to have that done soon. I wish I had a digital camera when I had started my '39 as it is fun to look back at how it started out. Looking forward to following your progress and should you have any question just fire away, there'll be someone here that can and will answer it.

Good luck with it.

Danny

As Danny & Grant said, welcome to the 39 gang!

A few links (none are mine)

1939 Special Business Coupe

1939 Buick 8/40 Special Sedan

Well Elizabeth, I must confess to not being smart enough to be able to create a nice web page and I am still a ways off having mine on the road...
Same story for me, but had one for 25 years and another 2 since 2003

If you post the engine number, chassis number (by the starter motor) and details from the firewall data plate Dave Corbin is likely to tell you when your car was built.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Eleanor

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. This is such a great forum!

Danny - Wow! 20 years you've been working on your '39! That's a lot of love into one car. So great! I totally get what you mean by life getting in the way of the restoration! With 4 kids, two dogs and our house currently up for sale, there seems to be little time to be had. The kids are keen to help with it though, so it really helps. We seem to be going at it in the opposite way you are. We plan to deal with the engine last, as it runs already. Once we have the body and interior fixed up, we want to drive her regularly. Then we will finish the restore while we can enjoy driving at the same time! The kids can't wait to be driven to school in Eleanor!

1939_Buick - thanks for the links. They are so helpful and interesting. I love seeing all the body work in the first link. I'll admit I have no skill there at all, but am looking forward to learning! Also, thanks for the info about Dave Corbin. I've seen his name on the forum before and my husband sent him a message regarding this exact thing. Really looking forward to a reponse!

Guest Eleanor

To '39BuickEight - thanks for the welcome and the links! Yours is one of the first links we looked at when we started this project. Very cool! Where did you send your engine?

To '39BuickEight - thanks for the welcome and the links! Yours is one of the first links we looked at when we started this project. Very cool! Where did you send your engine?

It's being done here locally in Lexington, KY, someone my Dad knew. I'll wait to see the final product before making any judgment, but they've taken way too long. We were hoping to have it back about 5-6 weeks ago and have it in the car before spring fishing season :)

Guest Eleanor
It's being done here locally in Lexington, KY, someone my Dad knew. I'll wait to see the final product before making any judgment, but they've taken way too long. We were hoping to have it back about 5-6 weeks ago and have it in the car before spring fishing season :)

Let me know the results! Good luck!

Elizabeth

Just looking through your page Elizabeth and I see you have the very early type grill. Do you also have the short chassis ?? I see you have the rust in the boot (trunk) area. How is the beaver panel ?? Mine was totally rusted and had to be completely replaced. A fun welding exercise. Original carbys and air filters turn up regularly on eBay as well as spark plug covers. (Maybe they came with the car) I recently figured I'd fire up my engine as it has sat there for a few years now without starting it. A few drops down its throat, a few turns over and it fired straight up. All things considered, with the tiny little earth cable and the terminals only done up finger tight I'm surprised it started so easily. A true symphony of cylinders !!!:):):)

Danny

Guest Eleanor

Hi Danny,

This is Eric. I've been left in charge of the web stuff this week, because Elizabeth is away for the week. I love all the enthusiasm we find on this forum, it makes the restoration so much more fun.

I wasn't aware there was an early type grill. How is it different? Do you have a picture of a later one?

I know we have the long chassis, but I have no idea what the beaver panel is. You tell me what it is and where I can find it, and I'll gladly go check it out.

I'm happy to say that the original carb came with it, but we'll definitely have our eyes open for an air breather. That did not come with it.

Isn't it awesome how these things just keep on running? Imagine leaving a newer car for a years and then trying to start it.

Gotta go now, I'm in the midst of trying to get the dashboard apart. That and the steering column are the only things left to remove before I lift the body off.

G'day Eric,

If you have a look at Billy's thread http://forums.aaca.org/f190/1939-buick-special-restoration-273123.html you will see early in the thread a picture of a later grill. It has less vertical rungs in it and has horizontal support bars in it. Apparently the earlier grills would vibrate and "sing". They should have springs (in rubber tube) at the back of the grills to reduce the vibrating. The later also allowed a bit more air to get to the radiator. (I've also attached a couple of pics) A little further along in that thread we discuss the beaver panel problem with a few pics and links. Well worth a read. My entire rear, below the boot (trunk), both inner and outer, had to be replaced. I did it though way back before digital cameras and didn't record much back then but I did keep the old pieces to remind me how bad it was.

I must say that a digital camera will be your best friend. Take way more pics than you think you'll ever need as you WILL FORGET were this and that came from. Any time I see a '39 now I go over the top taking pics.

What type of carby did you get ?? Carter or Stromberg ??

Looking forward to following you restoration.

Danny

post-37069-143138522578_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138522581_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138522585_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138522589_thumb.jpg

I purchased a nice '39 about 2 1/2 years ago and started watching this forum, slowly I ask questions and there is an amazing amount of expertize here. I was sent photos, specs, and lots of advice.

If you need help with a pre-war Buick, this is the forum to watch.....daily.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me.