AACA members 40 and under

Janet Ricketts

Several years ago, the "Antique Automobile" magazine started a new column called "New Generations." We were hoping to generate articles in the magazine featuring younger AACA members. Unfortunately, it has not been a priority, which has always bothered me. I am looking for AACA members to write an article for the AA magazine telling us how you got involved in the hobby and what do you enjoy the most. This is a great opportunity to share your point of view and let the rest of the AACA membership know that you are out there and care about the future of this hobby and not just through the forum. If you are interested, please email me through the AACA website. <P>Looking forward to hearing from you.<P> smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Janet Ricketts ]

1937 ~ Of course there are more under 40 members of the street rod groups than in the "old car ranks". There are also more over 40 members of the street rod groups. One reason just might be that there are more street rods than true antique cars out there. <P>You can make a street rod out of almost anything, since there are NO authenticity requirements to consider. <P>There are also more bikers than old car people. So what?<P>Now as to the under 40 people being more interested in street rods than us old pharts. Here in Cheyenne, I doubt that most of the street rodders have seen 40 for a number of years.<P>Let's not try to muddle the issue with irrelevent facts merely for the sake of adding another post. Janet Ricketts is trying to revive a worthwhile project here.<BR>Let's leave the input to the target group, the under 40s.<P>But as usual, that's just my opinion. ~ hvs

There are lots of 40 and under folks around. Don't underestimate the count, from what I have seen many of us 'younger' folks feel we don't have much to add in technical expertise to conversations (well that or we think we know it all, I mean I know I do grin.gif" border="0). I'd write something up, but by next weekend I'll be too old! Not much chance of it happening in time. Darn birthdays, they keep getting closer and closer!<P>Rich

RR, Like working on a Model A, close enough for government work works. Even if you are on the border of the arbitrary 40, you have a good tale - working with your dad, the Chrysler you are working on, the way you are using the AACA DF for assistance. Janet may jump in to say otherwise, but I think you should go for it. wink.gif" border="0

Dear Rich,<P>No one is going to check your birth certificate - it is close enough for me. I am delighted that you are stepping up to the plate and sharing your experience in the hobby with the rest of the AACA membership. I hope you will include some pictures of your restoration project or anything else that you feel will enhance your article. Please forward the article to me, I will personally follow it through the system until it is published.<P>Thank you, Janet<P>P.S. Rich, I will be checking back with you through email from time to time to see how you are progressing.

I suppose I could write something about myself, no guarantees, though. That is if it would be of interest to the entire club. I am 29. I was President of our local region 3 years ago. I have a 1913 Buick and a 1914 Model T. I am a third generation AACA member. I restore early cars for a living. <BR>With any luck, there will be plenty of "younger" members in the future. I just have to figure out how to get the values down on the "big" early cars.<BR>I guess this is the sort of thing you are looking for, huh?

I am a new member, just sent in my application in two days ago. My wife and I purchased out 1929 Chandler almost two years ago. We have always ben interested in cars, mainly MG's, but never anthing very old. A few years ago we were at a swapmeet looking for MG literature when we happened upon a guy selling a couple of Chandler hubcaps and a radiator cap. Our son's name is Chandler so we asked about them. The seller spoke highly of Chandler cars and said the hubcaps were $25 each, $75 for the radiator cap. Too expensive for paper weights we thought at the time. Our curosity was peaked though. we began to collect Chandler ads on eBay. Then one day a car came up for sale, 99% original, in storage for over 40 years. The price was right and the garge soon had a new tennent. That after our teriffic road trip to tow the car home from Nebraska to California. There was nothing more thrilling then to drive through the small towns east of California with that Chandler in tow. We even had an older gentleman follow us through town in Kansas in his Studebaker Hawk.<BR>We are now working to learn as much as we can and put the car back on the road (pavement for the first time).<BR>I'll try to put an article together. I am tired of being the youngest at car meets and club meetings.<BR>Chris Gorman (34)<BR>Chandler Gorman (2.5)

Chris Paulsen and Chris Gorman,<P>Both of you have interesting stories to tell and I am elated with the response this topic is producing thus far. Bruce Wheeler has also come forward to do an article. It would be so great to open the AA magazine and see one "New Generations" article in each issue. Who knows if we get a backlog, we could see more than one in an issue. I will contact you by email to follow up on your offer.<P>Janet smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

I sent my neighbor, Ex98thdrill, an e-mail to advise him to log-on to this thread for JR's suggestion. He responded from Fort Drum, up in New York's wintery North Country, to let me know that his computer has been down, and to ask that the word be spread to his Forum Friends. He expects to be back on-line shortly after his magic box is returned, on Tuesday. <BR> smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <P>Now . . . on to the Super Bowl Party, with some of our younger friends!! grin.gif" border="0 <P>OJ

To 29Chandler:<P>Welcome, not only to the Forum, but to the hobby! 'cause it wasn't time to leave for the game yet, I skipped through the Forum, and noted a new thread you might want to keep an eye on. The topic? The Chandler Car Company, or somethin' like that. I'm gettin' fergetful in my advanced years, and the exact title escaped. grin.gif" border="0 <P>Glad to read that you're getting your Bride and son involved to. <BR>Have a good 'n.<P>OJ wink.gif" border="0

I feel bad.....<P>Mrs. Ricketts asked me two years ago at the Annual Meeting if I would write up an article about our family involvement in the AACA. I gladly accepted. But because of duties that came with being region president for two years, and everything else that happened in the past two very hectic years, her request slipped... not just to the back burner... but all the way behind the stove and down on the floor.<P>I have however told her recently that I will make good on my promise and will not let it slip any further. So if I again let her request slip, I ask that the DFers feel free to give me a good kick to jar the memory. grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

It all started when I was a young boy; maybe I was four or five years old. My room had some antique cars in it. Mom had put them up as decorations, but what they did was to inspire a young boys imagination. I knew what cars where. It was the early seventies, but these cars in my room were unlike the ones I had seen on the road. Dad explained that the cars where like the ones his Dad had driven in years past. Showing me a photo of him in front of his dads 1936 Plymouth when he was a young boy just increased my interest even more. I would always have the dream of owning an antique car. I would look at the classified section of the the newspaper even before I could drive, and was always drawn to the clasic and antique car section. I hope that one day I could afford to own one of those cars. <BR>After High School I took a job at an auto dealership and worked selling new cars for ten years. I got married, and told my wife,"when I was done paying for her Masters degree I was going to purchase an Antique car". By now I was selling used cars. All makes and models, but they were lacking something. There's a certain romance about an old car: it takes you back to a slower time: when people cherished the freedom that a car gave them instead of taking for granted the freedoms that they have.<BR>Well my wife finished her scooling and my search began. I was looking for a Model A. I thought that would be an easy car to start with. There is so much information on the car and the parts are so readily available. Then I found the Chandler. A rather large touring sedan built in 1925. Its previous owner loved the car, but as he got on in years he was too ill to keep up with his collection. I made the decision to buy the car, and purchased it in November of 2001. I had the car brought to the dealership and have seen firsthand the power that the old car has on people. People seem to loosen up around this car. It makes people bubble over with enthusiasm and conversation.<BR>I have been working on getting the car mechanically sound and look forward to taking it on drives with my two sons, Anthony (3) and Zachary (1). I hope to share this passion with them. Who knows; they may be the next generation to answer a posting from you in twenty or thirty years.<BR> Sincerely,<BR> Anthony Pascarella<BR> Age 35<BR> 1925 Chandler

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Janet, A few years ago I told Terry Bond that I would write something for the Rummage Box on newsletters and I never did. Then I was a presenter 2 years ago at the newsletter seminar, so I will not commit beyond speaking at the "youth" seminar on Saturday morning for Fran Shore. Catch me in a good mood at Philly, (at the JC Taylor room) and maybe. tongue.gif" border="0

I'll join AACA ASAP and I'll be 40 till late April. Got a 54 Olds 88 last fall at the Hershey meet. Have been interested in "original" classics for years. Friends had em and I could not wait another year, life's to short. Thought some of the older cars were ugly as a youngster and now have an appreciation for their beautiful lines, chrome and the statement they make. Knowing a car is still just the way it rolled off the assembly line is amazing. The family has alot of old pictures with the cars of the era in the background and it's quite a step back in time to be able to drive one. Hope the articles take off. grin.gif" border="0

Time to fess up. I am 19 shocked.gif" border="0. my father was the one person who got the old car bug inside of me going. He had me sanding on his 1965 Pontiac GTO when I was 9 months old; turning bolts when I was 18 months. From that point on, I always have had a project car. We purchased my first car when I was 10. A 1958 Sears Rascal dune buggy. Then it went to my 1960 El Camino when I was 15 and I just purchased and now resotring my 1964 SS Impala. This is one bug I do not want out of me. I love the hobby, it is a blast!!! <P>Matt<BR>1964 SS Impala cool.gif" border="0

I posted earlier. I just got home from our local region's monthly meeting. On the subject (sort of), I thought I would post some facts about the 30 or so members present tonight that my father and I observed. <P>I was the youngest (at 29). This is not new. I have been the youngest member since I joined 13 or 14 years ago. <P>There was one member in his early 40s. My father was next at 56 years old. There were only 2 others present that were under 60.<P>Having always been the youngest, I never paid much attentio to it. But for it to strike such a nerve with my father is unusual. <P>Are most other regional groups like this, or to this extreme?

Chris,<P>Unfortunately, your region is like many others in AACA. The members are aging and we are not replacing lost members fast enough. <P>One-way AACA can stay the largest and the most prestigious in the world is one by one. It is going to take each one of us in AACA to encourage others to join. Grass roots effort is still a good way to keep AACA strong. Because regions and chapters have so much to offer on a local level, they are one of best sources to encourage growth in the car bobby and AACA. <P><BR>AACA is working on programs to involve the Society of Automotive Engineers, Electrical Engineer Society, Boy Scouts of America, 4H, etc. to help increase awareness among youth. <P>We now have an AACA Youth Program Coordinator, Fran Shore, who will be working with regions and chapters to develop and support youth programs. Fran has compiled a new youth handbook and guide that will be available to regions and chapters, which is full of ideas and projects for clubs. <P>Regions and chapters will be hearing about this new position very shortly through region and chapter presidents and the <BR>AACA web site. Stay tuned for more info to come.<P>Janet<p>[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: Janet Ricketts ]

Janet- tried to e-mail you privately and was blocked, so here goes.<P>4-H dropped its automotive project (in VA and NC anyway) nearly 15 years ago and I had always hoped they'd restart it. I was Virginia State Automotive Project winner in 1973, so the idea is close to home. I kept some connections at VPI&SU and tried unsuccessfully to get the state 4-H staff to rebuild Automotive, but it seems 4-H has changed its priorities and this one is way down the list.<P>Would appreciate being kept posted on any AACA/4H liaison that may develop.<P>Glenn Williamson<BR>AACA 955031<BR>OCA 10983, NAOC 3239<BR>and Virginia 4H All Star

Glenn,<P>You can always contact me through the main page under national directors and click on my e-mail address.<P>Fran Shore is the AACA Youth Coordinator, I will have her contact you if she hasn't already. Doug Drake has worked out the agreement with the 4H, but he will not be available for a couple of weeks.<P>Janet

I find some of this latest activity somewhat confusing and chauvanistic. Janet and Fran (certainly both females) are both pushing interesting programs with another organization that abandoned auto related merit badges many years ago - the Boy Scouts. Yet there is no indication that there is any interest in an organization that has had auto related badges on a continuing basis - the Girl Scouts.<P>Is this a case of all young people (potential AACA members) are equal, but boys are more equal than others! And I thought we were shedding some of the good ol' boy image when we got our first female AACA President. confused.gif" border="0

Janet:<BR>You say what I actually wanted to do some moths ago: To write an article for the "Antique Automobile". I am a member of the AACA since some years and I am 31 years young. My girlfriend is 27 years and we both love old cars.<BR>I hope that I will have a bit time to write an article how I came to old cars in the closer future. May have some photos of my first old car.<BR>Shall I send you an Email (which address is it?) or a private message through this forum?<P>Tom

Thomas ~ You should think about doing at least one small paragraph in German. After all, you have had to work with our English all these years. But please, keep it simple. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0<P>I wonder if our printer can handle an umlaut? rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Many operating systems are going to unicode now and are being packaged with the typefaces needed for most western languages. You still need to install the packages for things like Chinese (simplified or traditional), Hebrew, Arabic, etc. But for German there should not be a real problem with special characters or accents.

I was active in the hobby at 16 and in AACA at 24, 40, 60 and more. I still think like I'm 40. I only realize I'm 63 now when I look in the mirror. On the average, this hobby has given my wife and I a great life of enjoyment. I wrote my best historical articles for Antique Automobile when I was 31 and 33, winning the M.J. Duryea Awards. All is possible. You folks with both youth and exhuberance who love authentic antique automobiles can be so very important by just talking up this hobby and AACA to your peers. If you'll step up to the plate and do that, you will have done more for this hobby than you could ever realize. Janet, you've been leading a great discussion on this thread.