1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Me too. Even though I love my old cars, and working on them too, I have to take time off from it. Partly to do other stuff for the house and my wife (who is a lovely and understanding lady!) but also for my own sanity. I'm into photography and music, so I do more of that for a stretch, then get back to the old cars.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Not much new to report. I'm working with a sand caster to make vent window frames for the convertible. I have a set, but it seems that everyone is looking for these darn things, so before I get to putting everything back together, the castings are off to the caster for patterns. Once I get prices, I will be offering some for sale. But, more on that later.

I bought the 56 Buick to have a car to drive around this fall and next year until I get the convertible done, but the tranny needs rebuilt, so once I get the tranny pulled, I'll get back on the sheetmetal. I've had some time to really think about the alignment issues on the front end and I have some things I want to try.

This has definately gave me a much needed breather on the convertible. I was ready to pull my hair out! Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would bring the post back to the top. I should be starting back on the sheet metal this weekend. I think that I've had enough of a breather working on the 56. And, if all goes well, it might be ready to drive by this weekend. On another note, I think the bug is biting again and I'm going to try and buy that 48' RM convertible. I call tomorrow and start the "price adjustment" process. Wish me luck.

After a much needed break, I'm done with the front end sheet metal alignment! ;) I'm so happy and relieved! I just have to finish installing the remainder of the fender bolts. I have a few more odds and ends to finish up on the doors, then a final check of the orher parts that are gonna be painted. Quite suprising that it only took me 3 hours. I've dreamt of all the different ways to get this thing to line up. Some were nightmares!

Finally, the best thought option was the first I tried!

Guest Rob McDonald

MATT, it's a cliche but often the best route to finding the solution to a tough problem is to sleep on it. Several times, in your case. I'm glad things are looking better in the morning and looking forward to seeing the paint you lay on.

Final prepping the parts tonight. I found a couple of "sore thumb" areas that I started attending to. Dropped by the paint store this afternoon for another "shaking" of the paint and to pick up another quart of reducer for the epoxy primer that they owed me and they are going to change out the reducer for another that is for a hotter air supply that I'll be using with the Showtime spray unit. I still have to finish up the dash, pontoons and the rear fenders. The rest of the car is ready and in place. I also have to get some plastic to hang Saturday night over the car and to cover up the shelves, table and my tools. Wish me luck on getting everything finished before Sunday noon! Matt

Holy moly! I'm still finding more things to do. I forgot about some dash pieces, still have some little things here and there and I'm beat! My days at work have been really long and busier than normal with equipment arriving and equipment breakdowns. Gotta work 1/2 day tomorrow and then I close myself up in the garage again. I can still make it for Sunday. Matt

Inching closer to tomorrow! Car is ready for clean/prep wipedown tomorrow. Hood still needs some final massaging at the hood ornament. It was crushed in there when I got the car. Another oversight on my part. I believe that everything else is ready. Off to home depot in the am hours for 4 mil plastic and some more hanging hooks. Golly, there are a lot of parts that are unbolted from the car and have to be painted separately. Tomorrow definately going to be a long day. Matt

Ok, here's todays update! Long have I waited to lay paint on this girl and today was the day! I haven't put on the clear yet, cause some dumba$$ has 3 or 4 little runs to take care of and re-spray. Up at 7 am this morning and laid out the plastic on the walls, wiped down the ceiling and light fixtures. Put a fan and filter in the window, left one garage door open about 24" and sealed off the top. Put my TP tools Showtime system outside the garage door and run the hose inside. Put another filter in the bottom of the door and sealed the rest off with plastic. Hung parts all around the garage. Here are 3 pictures. One in primer and two painted. Enjoy, cause I know I did!

Keith,

Watching paint dry is Wonderful.

What a Buickful day!;)

post-72076-143142184141_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142184124_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142184134_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all. I found a few little problems when I got home today and opened the garage to let in sunlight. I will have to address two spots where the paint didn't cover well on the edge of the hood and a spot on a door extension. I will have to figure out how far to sand and how big an area to get the color correct. Not too worried because I have some smaller parts that didn't have room for when painting the first go around. I will probably wait until next week to wet sand and buff. Give the clear time to cure. I'll post aome more pixtures when I get the chance. Matt;)

Now, on to my first experience with a HVLP spraying system and the first car I've painted in the last 25 or so years. I purchased two new guns from TP tools to go with my used unit that I picked up at Hershey last year for $100.00. After I read, re-read and slept on it, I decided that I would paint Sunday. When I first started spraying the epoxy primer, I thought I had something screwed up! The primer went on like a million little bubbles of primer! I was devistated!!!!:confused: I painted the bottom portion of the drivers door because it is a part that is hidden by an extension on the door. I had already mixed the primer and didn't want to waste it, so I crawled in the car to prime/seal as much of the interior of the car with this "bad" mix. By the time I finished spraying the first cup, and crawled back out to look again, the door was "SMOOTH" .:cool: Here are some more pictures of the epoxy stage.

post-72076-143142188681_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188635_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188643_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188649_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188656_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188667_thumb.jpg

So after almost 3 hours of epoxy primer, had to let it cure for 2 hours. Time for supper! Took a couple "breaths of fresh air" and back into the garage for paint session. It was already 6:30 pm, but it was still dry and warm outside! I was able to lay on two coats of paint and clean up by 11:00pm. Here are some pictures of that stage.

post-72076-143142188764_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188717_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188724_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188737_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188744_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188751_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143142188758_thumb.jpg

So, after unmasking the engine compartment and moving the car to the other side of the garage, here she is. Almost ready for the assembly process. The great part is that I have the wiring harness, (new), ready to go in. The interior is completed and ready to install. I have glass patterns for everything so all I have to do is take them to the local glass company to have them cut. I have to order a lot of rubber and seals and chrome work to have done. I will work on the stainless over the winter. And here she is..........................................;)

post-72076-143142188862_thumb.jpg