jackofalltrades70

1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

John, I'm trying my best to make it as nice as I possibly can! Sometimes I feel as if I'm going overboard, but If getting it right takes a month or so more, then that's what it takes.

Have a Buickful day tomorrow! Matt:D

I would say this is one of those cars that excells when done right and suffers from minute misattention to details. So in my humble opinion, I would think you can't go overboard, and I think this is gonna be one beautiful car.

I agree with John, when it comes to bodywork, esp. on that car, I doubt if you CAN go overboard. Minute imperfections will stand out once you get the final high gloss paint on it.

Keith

Well, I'm tickled pink! Got the wiring harness, took it out of the box and snapped a picture of everything in the bags! I went ahead and ran the harness in the body from the cowl to the tail lights. Sure is nice to see things going back in the car!:rolleyes: I am almost done with the hydraulic lines. I need to go get a few more fittings, guess I miscalculated. I now have the mustache bar of the grill sanded out, (see picture) and now I need to work on the teeth. Next comes the final polishing. I knocked the dents and dings out, sanded with 100grit, then 220, 500, 1000 and 1200 wet sanded. The teeth need a little more work. They were probably worse than the bar because so many were damaged.

I now can appreciate all of the fine work that Smartin does!:) I've got more on my plate now and this weekend will be very, very busy my friends.

Matt:D

post-72076-143138941501_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941509_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941517_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941525_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138941534_thumb.jpg

I usually start using a sisal wheel with emery compound after 800 grit. I got tired of using 6 different grades of paper (all the way up to 2000) and did some experimenting...found out that the sisal wheel with emery compound will buff out the 800.

Adam,

Thanks, Bro! I appreciate the passing of knowledge. I'll have to see if I can find a wheel to use. This weekend, I have a whole lot of things aside from stainless polishing. Matt

Got about 4 hours of work on my girl today. Had to stop to help a neighbor fix a flooded basement and replace some water lines.:eek: Was nice to have the girl out in the sun today................I enjoyed it as much as she did. Looking better all the time. I have all day tomorrow so, we'll see what I manage to do tomorrow. Matt

post-72076-143138943032_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313894304_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138943047_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138943056_thumb.jpg

Got all of the chromed pieces off the car and rounded up to start assesment and repair any large damages that I can before I start checking with shops to see how much it is gonna set me back. I was able to take out most of the dents in the top of the door moldings and straighten the rest of the pieces. Now I have to pull out the two sets of bumpers I have to decide which is in the best condition.

Wow, you wouldn't believe the rust under all of the chromed steel pieces on the doors and above the rear windows. All of that is taken care of now.

I received the carpet set Friday!!!:) Only thing is, it isn't for my convertible.:eek: Both the front section and the rear section weren't wide enough for the car. :mad: Almost 2 inches too narrow between the doors. Will have to call on Monday to see what they are gonna do about that!

Still have more bodywork to do and plenty of stainless trim to work on.:D

Pictures when I have something worth showing. Have a great rest of your weekend everyone! Matt

Matt, she sure is looking good! Bummer on your carpet set, just more time in the logistics train, that's all. Hopefully they will make it good for you. It is a blast watching it all go back together, that is for sure! Keep us posted with pictures. We love pictures.

Matt, she sure is looking good! Bummer on your carpet set, just more time in the logistics train, that's all. Hopefully they will make it good for you. It is a blast watching it all go back together, that is for sure! Keep us posted with pictures. We love pictures.

Took a lot of pictures and measurements for Kanter today so they can try to figure out what went wrong. I have no worries as I am quite certain that they are gonna fix the problem with the carpet. They seem to be good to work with, so we'll see.

Raining tonight so I really didn't have any gumption to do anything else. Looking for somewhere close to here that does GOOD chrome work so I can take and pick up the parts.

Matt

Can't you go the DUCT TAPE ROUTE? It might look COOL, nice silver bands near the stainless door sill trim. It would WIPE up nice when dirty, maybe. Second thought, how about colored tape to match?

How about attaching a PORTA-POWER and stretching?

Not funny is it, I agree, I bet they take care of you.

Dale in Indy

Hey Matt, Let me know where you get your chroming done! My Buick is in PA at my fathers house as well and we need chroming done. It's actually close to you.

Kanter was very responsive when I talked with them today! Very impressed by their customer service and the quick response. After revising all of the pictures and measurements, they are making another set for my car. That is what customer service is about!

I also had a very nice conversation with Mr Bob Coker today. What a wonderful person. Great personality and cannot wait for Hershey to actually sit down and talk a little more.

I actually have a very nice set of bumpers with very minimal damages. I will try to repair the few dents that are on the bumper horns.

More news later................................

Thanks to progoofoff, I finally have a seat frame with which to work with. I pulled the old covers, (plural) off of the frame. Leopard skin, grey vinyl and cloth. Original and 2 covers. Took some time to analyze the situation, but I was able to cut parts off of another frame on the top, the power seat section and weld everything together. Had to cut holes for the seat switch and the courtesy lights. You get the jist from the pictures. First set of pictures first.......... Matt:eek:

post-72076-143138974819_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974826_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974834_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974841_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313897485_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974859_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974867_thumb.jpg

I conditioned the metal and worked on it all day and this is what I came up with. Still have to install the carpet on the rear of the seat, but I made a lot of progress today........Matt:D

post-72076-143138974874_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974881_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974889_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974897_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974905_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974912_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313897492_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138974927_thumb.jpg

Wow, are those ever the coolest courtesy lights! They look just like the projector beam fog lights on my BMW. "Gee, darlin', are your feet cold? Let me warm them for you. Click." Your seat frame ends look terrific.

I installed leopard skin seat covers in a '65 Coupe de Ville I used to have, in which the white leather bucket seats were worn right out. They looked perfect in that car. Comfy, too.

I took apart both of the upper seat backs tonight and removed all of the 3 layers of upholstery from them. The original fabric was in pretty decent shape so I am gonna be able to get some good patterns. Now.....................gonna learn how to sew..................Nothing I've done so far has skeered me, so sewing should be a walk in the park........:P

post-72076-143138976591_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143138976601_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14313897661_thumb.jpg

Matt,

You are truly an intrepid Buick restorer! I have recently completed the reupholstery of our 49 Super and it was a fascinating experience. Like you, I started out by carefully removing the material for patterns. I was successful with that. I was going to sew up the new upholstery with the help of my wife who is excellent with sewing and fabrics. She took one look and told me I was nuts.

So, I bought a kit that was already cut and sewn but I will tell you that we had some great fun doing the work.

A good heavy duty old sewing machine like a Pfaff 120 will be your best friend. And forget the tacks (in most places). They were skilled artisans in the '40s and used tacks skillfully but today, a good upholstery staple gun and lots of hog rings will be your next best friends.

We just finished the work on the front seat which took us the longest of all the pieces. I've attached a couple of photos.

Keep up the good work.

Dan

post-61965-143138981407_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143138981429_thumb.jpg

Dan,

Your seat looks very nice. My wife, at first had suggested that she would help me on the seats/interior panels, but after seeing what I had in my hands after taking the pieces off and apart...........................ARE YOU NUTS? hehe. So, I'm tackling it myself.

Matt:D

The seat is looking great! Those seat backs look much the same as my '41 coupe. I did my own sewing for the seats on my '41, french seams and all, which my wife wouldn't do! I learned sewing a few years at work (long story) and used that experience to base the car sewing on. If I can do it, you can too, just make sure the machine is heavy duty enough.

Can't wait to see the next installment!

Keith

Well, thanks to my friend 48Super, I am off and running in a different direction for a couple of days. Looking for a HD sewing machine on one hand and on the other I'm cutting templates out for my interior panels. I worked on the rear seating area tonight and got the two sides cut for the panels where the ashtrays and window regulators are. I'll start on the door panels tomorrow. Just the waterproof cardboard templates, no upholstery yet. Sure is nice to have something solid to work with when it comes to these panels. Matt:)