1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

4 bufords, thanks for the comments. I'm really enjoying it.

Rob, thanks for the lead. I'll check on that when I get around to finishing that part. Next step is to cut and prepare the carpet for the bottom of the door panels.

John, I really like this red and think it is going to contrast with the dark metallic blue that the body will be with a cord top.

Next step is to find a "walking foot" sewing machine. I have to sew the design patterns into the panels that I just covered. I am finding that all of this is a great learning experience. I'm really enjoying putting the pieces together and learning how to "stuff a seat" and cut and cover all of the panels.

I'm getting ready to pull the top out of the car. I've been talking with a gentleman who has blasting capabilities and powder coats. When it comes back, it will be ready for its final installation in the car, but the car has to be painted first. Pretty cost effective way of doing it. I am contemplating how to "re-chrome" or coat the irons that are chromed in the top assembly. I wonder if the spray chrome might be a good option since it will be out of the rain and sun?

Matt

Today, I decided that I had better check fit on the door panels and then, while I was at it, I fit the carpet set also. Now that the carpet is cut and I am happy with the outcome of the fit, I need to sew new edges on where I cut this to size. I ordered the original set from Kanter for my car and it just didn't fit right. Seemed like it was an inch or so short on all sides. So, last year after I ordered this, Kanter made me another set, but left it long on all sides so I could trim to fit in my car. I was really happy with their customer service on that.

I also cut the carpet piece out for the foot rest on the back of the drivers seat. Now I have to bear down and buy the sewing machine that I've been looking at so I can sew all of these details that really bother me and until I lay them to rest, they will be in the back of my mind, constantly bothering me. hehe. I still have to cut the carpet kick panels for the door panels and also sew vinyl along the edge of it.

Enjoy the pics. I included one of the machine I'm looking at buying for sewing the panels, etc. Matt

post-72076-143141769814_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14314176977_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141769779_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141769787_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141769793_thumb.jpg

post-72076-1431417698_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141769808_thumb.jpg

Only thing to report is.........I called on the sewing machine yesterday to set up a time to pay for and pick up and the gent told me that he sold it two days before. That's a showstopper right at the moment on the upholstery. I have some more small panels to do in the convertible well, but have been spending more time than I wanted looking for another machine that isn't going to cost more than my car did. These are very expensive machines and I thought I had that one. I was just trying to get the rest of the money together that he wanted. I started working on the arm rest/door pulls yesterday, but only got so far as I need to "SEW".

Still too cold here to do any bodywork. I did manage to buy a box of parts from a two door cheap and will be cleaning them up and offering them for sale to fund more advancement on my car. I might start taking the interior back out of the car so I can start cutting the carpet kickers for the panels and so the interior is out of the dusty garage for the next round of dustmaking. Matt

Guest Rob McDonald

Magnificent old Singer! I've never seen one with such a long reach. You're crushed I'm sure to have lost out on that one. Your interior is smashing! My new project has a red interior and you've convinced me to find the brightest, hottest red vinyl I can find.

Magnificent old Singer! I've never seen one with such a long reach. You're crushed I'm sure to have lost out on that one. Your interior is smashing! My new project has a red interior and you've convinced me to find the brightest, hottest red vinyl I can find.

Rob,

You are quite right. I have managed to find some others, but completely out of my price range... I cannot worry about it much, I will just keep looking and move on with other things. I think I will buy a cheapo for some other things that I need to sew up. I really think my car is going to stand out, even though the material isn't the original. I might try and buy some leather later and see what I can cook up as far as something more correct. The nice thing about going this way is,

1. Economical way to get the car back together and on the road.

2. I am not modifying anything that would hurt the car.

3. Easy to fix by ordering a new interior from one of the interior shops or do leather next time.

4. I get all of this valuable experience on how everything is done and I know my car in and out.

I really do like the shade of red I chose and the carpet is really a close match. Will really set off "HOT" with the Dark Metallic Blue and tan top. Matt

Today, took the interior out of the car and safely stored it in the house where it won't get dirty and I can keep an eye on it. Started shuffling stuff around the garag and putting away stuff I won't be needing for awhile. Was a nice 54 degrees today so I aired out the garage and swept up and tossed out trash. Put some items I didn't need on ebay, etc. If the temps warm up a little more and stay there, might be able to finish up the bodywork.

I have some pending items to do and accumulate for some other forum members, so I'll try to do those things during this week. Always busy. The more I get done, the quicker I get the car painted, the quicker I........................Matt

Guest Rob McDonald

MATT, years ago, I took a couple of upholstery courses and have done some household projects. I don't want to tackle my Buick's interior because it has to be entirely redone. I'm so jealous of TG57Roadmaster's fabulous Lew Jenkins interior, which is the same colour and trim as mine. I don't want a puckered, baggy amateur job wasting all the lovely fabric I got from SMS.

My Valiant, on the other hand, just needs the front bucket seats repaired. I can tackle that and do a complete makeover (in scarlet!) later on. One of my upholstery instructors told me that old Singer treadle machines are great for doing car upholstery. They're very strong and can handle multiple layers of vinyl or leather. You can go as slow as you want with them, instead of having an electric machine inadvertantly race on ahead, laying a seam where you don't want it.

I spotted an old manual Singer at my wife's family cottage in BC a while back and begged it from my mother-in-law. it's in good shape - she used to make her kids' clothes on it - but I haven't played around with it yet. Wifey was out playing baseball when she should have been home learning how to sew, so she has no clue how to run this machine. I recently downloaded a scan of an old Singer operating manual. This is low-tech, I can figure it out.

Well guys, still looking for another sewing machine. In the meanwhile, I've been working over some more stainless steel trim and taking off the final pieces that need to be taken off to finish the rest of the panel beating and finalizing prep for paint. I've been hunting down a battery tray for a Roadmaster and haven't found one that won't break the bank. Exterior door handles are now off the car and in the "to be chromed" pile of parts. I have a few bits and pieces to take off of the convertible top section and that should be everything for "the plater".

I would really love to have the car painted in the next month or so, but that all is going to depend on the weather warming up so bodywork can be possible. This is the stage where when I started my project, I thought that this moment was going to be unobtainable. Now it is very obtainable and I could possibly have it most of the way back together and driveable this summer. Wow! Hope everyone had a great weekend! Matt

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, I was able to find the practically destroyed clutch linkage from my super and I cut off the ends, re-tapped out the threaded end and made a new part and welded it onto the clevis end. Perfect fit. I have to take off the passenger side sheet metal again so I can re-adjust the sheet metal height on the front end. Buicks are wonderful! Everything on the front lines up off of the height of the radiator support and it's left to right shimming! I need a magical wand to do this..........Matt

Guest shadetree77

Lol, I know what you mean Matt. My shop area is actually at my Mom and Dad's house. I live right behind them. Much to my Mom's dismay I have temporarily taken over their third bedroom(which they just use for storage anyway)for car parts and chemical/paint storage. She wasn't too happy about it and I am under the restriction that the parts must be clean. I'm putting all of my clean, painted parts in there for now. I also have a few large parts in there(bumper, grill, fenders, etc.). When I began taking apart the front end of the car I quickly outgrew my shop area. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had the entire car apart at once! You could always build UP instead of OUT. Add a second story to that garage! :D

Me too, guys.

My main space is an oversized single garage, which is heated and insulated, as here you can't work in winter without it, but its' tough try to keep the parts organized. I take over a large porch like space at the back of our house for parts storage, plus I have a basement workshop, but not too much space there for storing large and or numerous parts.

Keith

Well, since the front sheet metal is all off, I decided to remove all of the undercoating all over the inner fenders. I got all of it off and put a first coat of POR15 on the one side. Tomorrow, first coat on the other side. Then, maybe I can start installing the front end back on the car. Still awaiting my battery tray. Finally getting warmer and maybe I can do some of the last little bits of bodywork on the front fenders and hood. Everything else is ready to go. I need to get out and decide on a sealing primer, the paint company that I'm going to go with and get the paint, etc.

I got my paint gun all cleaned up and I think I'm ready. More info and pictures when it warrants it. Matt

Battery tray installed. Inner fenders bolted back on and radiator aligned and bolted to the inner fenders. Fenders are bolted bolted back on the car. Now the fun begins aligning the fenders back up from left to right and getting the door gap to fender correct. Funny, but it seems that things are pretty close the first go-around. Now I have to find the bottom brackets that bolt the fender to the bottom and also allow the outer rocker panel to bolt up also at the fender. They are in a baggie somewhere in the garage in one of the boxes......... Progress is progress. Matt

Guest shadetree77
Progress is progress. Matt

Right on!:cool: So you installed the inner fenders before the actual fender? I was wondering about that as I took them off the car still attached to each other. I was wondering what order they should go back together in. I'm not looking forward to lining those back up and getting them to work with my hood all based off of that radiator support.

Ok, here are a few pictures. It looks a lot better and I keep reminding myself that I'm gonna drive and enjoy it, not trailer it around! Still have some more beating and banging to do on the drivers fender. I shot some primer and tomorrow I'll sand a little and find my low/high spots. The one picture is of the spacer that is required under the radiator support mounting. This is the most important alignment shim setup on my car. It aligns the front end sheet metal with the body and the hood to the cowl section. Thanks to a fellow 47 Roadmaster convertible restorer Paul Girard for helping me out with the measurements.

Oh, almost forgot, I got my new window frames for the doors and the rear quarter windows. Matt

post-72076-143141855424_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141855393_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141855402_thumb.jpg

post-72076-14314185541_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143141855417_thumb.jpg

A litlle more fender beating today. The donor fender had a few more dents and creases that I had to hunt for to find. But, better to find them now and get them out of the way. I have a little more work to do on the windshield section of the cowl and the bodywork should be complete. This week, I plan on checking with the PPG store to see how much all of the primer sealer, paint and clear is gonna set me back. Getting exciting..........

Well, today was a marathon of working on front end sheet metal. I'm 99% finished with the fenders and I'm almost finished with the cowl section. I also stripped, straightened and primed the interior window garnishes. I also started messing with the sheet metal alignment.......let the moments of frustration begin. I'll post some pictures after I get things a little more tidy. Matt

Keep up the good work Matt! It's looking good.

I went through a bunch of similar stuff with my '41 Roadmaster, and at times it seemed never ending. Which of course is right, as I don't have the interior done yet, hopefully this year! But it was really fun to actually drive it!

Keith

Ok, sheet metal bolted back in place and hood installed once again. Previously missed dingers in the hood now taken out and hood back in primer. Still have a few small alignment issues with the fenders to the doors, but the hood is "MUCH" better. I think the left to right is now correct as my spacing on the cowl to the hood is correct from side to side. Little by little, the last few details are disappearing before I'm ready to shoot the Epoxy primer to seal all of this up and get ready for paint.

post-72076-143141880893_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A couple more hours tonight working on the passenger side door pontoon. After re-aligning the front end sheet metal, it was very evident that the pontoon was warped more than previously thought in the last round of straightening. We'll see how things look tomorrow. I have an extra set of doors that I can pull the pontoon off of, but hate to use the extra. I'm working on planning how I'm going to shoot the parts of the car and the car in a 24 X 24 garage. I will probably to hood, rear fenders, pontoons, rocker extensions, etc. first with the car out of the garage. Then I'll have to find somewhere to put the painted parts while I shoot the car in the garage. Will probably be a marathon weekend when this happens. Saturday and Sunday both.

Any thoughts???? Wifey says the painted parts are NOT going in the living room.:P

Guest Rob McDonald

Doghouse? Since it's going to be your room anyway, if you try to bring any of those smelly parts into the house. "Aw, hon, it'll only be for a coupl'a seasons, until I can bolt it all back together."

Notice how so many guys call their wives, "hon"? Like Attila The...