Reconstruction of a '34 Chevy Master Coupe

Guest ggdoorguy

Hi Pat , just got my 34 Chevy master back from the upholsterer today , he lost my two armrests and one of the visor receiver brackets ! would you possibly have anything like that left over that I could purchase from you ? Thanks Gary

Guest ggdoorguy

I just need the passenger and driver door armrest frame , it's a two door coupe , the socket is the part that the visor plugs into when you swing the visor to the side , I think that's what you call it !

Thanks

Gary

Hi Pat , just got my 34 Chevy master back from the upholsterer today , he lost my two armrests and one of the visor receiver brackets ! would you possibly have anything like that left over that I could purchase from you ? Thanks Gary

Here's a few photos of the armrests in case you decide to fabricate some.

post-59904-143142186791_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142186794_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142186797_thumb.jpg

I haven't gotten around to the odd jobs required on the old Chevy. I just drive it on the occasional nice day we get. Shitty, shitty summer. I'm up to over 300 miles. I'll get to the to do list this winter. Meanwhile, took the Mustang to a show about 100 miles away yesterday. The first nine cars in this row were part of our contingent along with the other six in the photos . The Hemi Road Runner and the 440 6-pak GTX (hoods up) were setting the pace. So needless to say it was brisk. It was a community decarbonizing event.

post-59904-143142191709_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142191719_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142191728_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142191737_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is Wow! Way more work than I would think of taking on. I can only imagine the satisfaction of making this come together. Thanks for sharing.

All I can say is Wow! Way more work than I would think of taking on. I can only imagine the satisfaction of making this come together. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you my friend. Indeed there is some satisfaction there. I really enjoy driving it even if it isn't fully sorted out yet. If I could only find out more about its early history.

• 1 month later...

Today, my daughter had hired a professional photographer to do an ad series for her hairstyling shop. She also "hired" my two cars. So I spent a cold day in the park surrounded by leggy young ladies. The last shot shows our Town Hall across the bay.

post-59904-14314225935_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142259359_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142259368_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142259376_thumb.jpg

What a crazy and interesting trip it has been for the car. The old girl had one foot in the grave, slowly rusting away and sinking into the farm field... now she is the centerpiece of multiple advertising campaigns!

She has also appeared on the cover of Old Autos, the premier Canadian old car newspaper and on the cover of The Filling Station's new catalog. I had sent them a picture to show where the hundreds of parts I had ordered from them went to.

post-59904-143142259587_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142259593_thumb.jpg

post-59904-1431422596_thumb.jpg

Edited by Landman (see edit history)

Today, my daughter had hired a professional photographer to do an ad series for her hairstyling shop. She also "hired" my two cars. So I spent a cold day in the park surrounded by leggy young ladies. The last shot shows our Town Hall across the bay.

What a difference a week makes. we woke up with that this morning.

post-59904-1431422668_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Now, here I have to digress a bit. The day I was cutting the whellwells off the coupe with the sawzall, my daughter came in & took a picture. She said she wanted to show her friends what kind of hobby I had. So I left it at that. She then took it to a photographer along with a photo of my dad taken more or less when he owned the car and had his picture ghosted over mine. It looks like the ghost of my dad watching me work on his car. They had that mounted in a frame and gave it to me for Christmas. Needless to say, I was totally speechless for several minutes.

That picture hangs in my garage and is my motivation.

I had the same person who did that picture put him with the finished car. His photo was taken in 1942, he was 28 years old. The car picture was taken this November. The car is 80 years old. It sat in a field for 50 years. It took me 8 years to rebuild it. Talk about a time warp. At the same time I'd like to thank everyone for the help, support and encouragement. I'll post another photo once I have made its frame.

post-59904-143142310365_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally getting around to finishing the to-do list on the car. First item is to mount a fire extinguisher somewhere in the car. Since I don't want it in the cabin I decided to put it in the trunk. However, I can't bring myself to drill any holes for the bracket. So I will mount it on a piece of wood (willow leftover from another project) and I will either Velcro or carpet tape the board to the trunk floor. Here it is raw,

post-59904-14314233716_thumb.jpg

after sanding and routing and after a coat of pre stain conditioner.

post-59904-14314233715_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14314233717_thumb.jpg

Nice touch to finish off the Chevy Pat! You could use a temporary mount in the cabin - possibly for when you're driving the car? Accessibility? Here's hoping you never have to use it - but knowing it's there will provide peace of mind, I'm sure. Enjoy the "Master Craftsmanship"!

Not to put a damper on your plan, but the fire extinguisher will do no good if the rear of the car goes up in flames. I know it looks terrible and it may take up room in the passenger compartment, but I would put it there instead of the trunk. What if you can't get the trunk open quickly?? In fact, my wife JUST told me that she has a REAL hard time opening my trunk, so it may be better inside the cab. Just sayin'.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Not to put a damper on your plan, but the fire extinguisher will do no good if the rear of the car goes up in flames. I know it looks terrible and it may take up room in the passenger compartment, but I would put it there instead of the trunk. What if you can't get the trunk open quickly?? In fact, my wife JUST told me that she has a REAL hard time opening my trunk, so it may be better inside the cab. Just sayin'.

I realize that. The one close call I had so far was under the hood. The cabin is very small. I wonder where other people put theirs. Any suggestions out there?

post-59904-14314234098_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up all mating surfaces. Last time it had proven to be a challenge collapsing the springs while trying to start the bolts. So I threaded a couple of 3" bolts all the way and "pushed" the caps on after laying a bead of "Right Stuff". The advisor on VCCA Chat said to let it cure for a couple of days then trim off the excess and refill. Please pray they won't leak.

post-59904-14314234096_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14314234097_thumb.jpg

Finished that board for the fire extinguisher and mounted in the trunk using self-adhesive Velcro. Will try it under the seat as ell. I hate to have loose stuff behind my head.

post-59904-143142350454_thumb.jpg

Masked around the window rubber in preparation to inject windshield sealer.

post-59904-143142350473_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142350444_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143142350463_thumb.jpg