Reconstruction of a '34 Chevy Master Coupe

Failure may not happen on the first outing, but do for missing cotter pins. Amazing what can come loose and how potentially dangerous it can be. I learned that one a scary way when I got my '33 back on the road after being in pieces for years.

Despite having gone through everything I am still wondering about having forgotten something.

This isn't exactly about the car but rather about the people involved. My uncle Joachim had bought the car in 1943 and sold it to my dad in 1945 or 1946. He had "modernized" and bought a late thirties Hudson. I found a photo of him holding me in his arms on top of that Hudson. At the same time he had also bought a Jawa motorcycle. While rummaging, I found the photo of my dad which was used to trick out the one in posting #40 on page two of this thread. That was March 1942, leaning on a Plymouth or a Dodge.I have to find a getup like his and redo that photo with his car. I thought you might find these interesting.

post-59904-143141895234_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14314189524_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141895245_thumb.jpg

Packed up the parts taken in the bush for their trip to Arizona. Tried that taillight stand on the car. No awkward angle so I sent it to be painted along with the luggage rack. He delivered those parts a few days ago. Ran a tap in the threads to remove the paint. Installed the 79 year old untouched ornament. Polished and installed the stainless trim. Went for another ride the other day. It now shows 18 miles. It is also attracting attention. I was offered the used of an enclosed trailer to take it to a family reunion where several people will remember having played in it as kids and at least two saw it in operation during the 40's. As well, the contractor who paved my driveway wants to use it in an ad featuring my driveway and the old Chevy.

post-59904-143141899643_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141899653_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141899662_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141899671_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141899682_thumb.jpg

post-59904-14314189969_thumb.jpg

Its nice when those old cars have family history,my 37 is similar to your 34 as my grandmothers oldest brother bought it for a cheap truck for the family farm in the late 40s or early 50s and drove it on the road until the brakes went out in 58 and then just on the farm until he let the motor freeze up shortly after. It sat in the shed until about 67 then it was hauled out to the woods where me and some relatives played in it and the 53 Studebaker that sat near the barn,I take it to the reunion every other year or so and taken my grandmothers youngest sister to the reunion in it before she passed away. She was the more sofisticated one in the family and probably never would have ridden in it when it was a beat up old farm truck but she enjoyed the ride in it that day.

I would love to see the looks on the faces of some of those people who only remember the car as a dilapidated hulk in the yard. I still can't believe what you've done.

Are we going to enjoy seeing this car at any AACA events? I know you live a Loooonnnngggg way from the U.S. border, but I guess I can wish.

I would love to see the looks on the faces of some of those people who only remember the car as a dilapidated hulk in the yard. I still can't believe what you've done.

Are we going to enjoy seeing this car at any AACA events? I know you live a Loooonnnngggg way from the U.S. border, but I guess I can wish.

I can't wait myself to see their faces. As far as events go, I'd like to attend some eventually, but it is an expensive proposition, 3-5 days on the road with a truck & trailer . I suppose being a member of AACA would help too. I think there is a chapter here in Ontario.

Installed the luggage rack. Dresses up the rear nicely. At least I think it does. Replaced the passenger side taillight arm with the one found in the bush the other day. It helped but still not perfect. May be there is a difference between right and left. Assembled my home made horn brackets, lined them with some leftover grabby stuff for the window channels. Mounted the horns. A problem. When you tighten them, the front of the horn rises. I wonder if it is because the light stanchions are not round.

post-59904-143141901414_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141901424_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141901433_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141901442_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141901732_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141901742_thumb.jpg

Pat,

I sure picked the right time to be on the AACA tonight, that's a great start on pictures showing just how great she turned out. She really is a looker for sure and you must be totally proud to jump in her and take her for a ride around the neighborhood. She has to turn heads. The stance is perfect and the trunk rack really finishes off the rear. Just a great looking car and I for one am really happy for you. Thanks for posting these. Scott...

Thanks guys. I really enjoy driving it and it does get noticed. The upholsterer told me that he had a lot of traffic in his shop and they weren't customers, just coming in to look at the car. The marketing guy of the company who paved my drive last year came by to check the pavement and saw the car sitting there. He asked me if he could use it in one of his ads . That's what they were doing when I took those photos yesterday. They has wetted the drive and took photos of the car reflected in it. I'm still woking at sorting it out. Lot of niggling little thing that bug me. For example, I never did get the cowl vent to sit right and work properly. There is some work to do on the steering. That is something that has to be done in the right sequence because some adjustments cancel the other. I have to learn how to start it and get it correctly right off the bat. I still fiddle with the throttle and the choke. Every car has its "preferences" and I haven't found them yet. Then there's a series of oil spots underneath that have to be addressed.... A cowboy's work is never done.;)

Guest PortCity PanHead

Man oh man, that is one sharp machine. I couldn't love a color scheme more than the one you chose! Beautiful!!

hello pat

i usually dont chime in to much,ive watched the resurection from the begining and i can only say wow,be proud of yourself for saving this family heirloom, it shows your not afraid to tackle a tough project so with this one finished i think its time to start beating the bushes for the next project,maybe a sedan or roadster for company to the coupe, great project, dave

I agree with Dave above. Wonderful project with a deep meaning to the family. Now to find the next project to re-construct. You'll need something to fill your time other than that super-nice Mustang and the new 1934 Master! Great work Pat - it's been fun "helping" from afar. Be proud!

Chuck

Wow! Thanks so much for posting those photos. Definitely "Buick Central"!! Some of those were elegant cars in their day. I did see a MoPar in that bunch.....

personally ive always been partial to the durant cars and a roadster to keep the chevy company,even if the durant is not availablt it looks like theres alot to choose from,with the chevy nearing the finish line the next project has to be started on soon before you get out of shape and loose your rythem,with the job you did on the chevy the old car hobby has been done proud, dont stop now dave

First time out tonight at our little weekly gathering. First time out and back with only the 6 volt battery. The ad that the paving company made the other day in my drive appeared in the local paper tonight. They had some old white haired fella standing by the car.

post-59904-143141922105_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141922112_thumb.jpg

I agree with Dave above. Wonderful project with a deep meaning to the family. Now to find the next project to re-construct. You'll need something to fill your time other than that super-nice Mustang and the new 1934 Master! Great work Pat - it's been fun "helping" from afar. Be proud!

Chuck

This is another one that I had seen out West that had turned my crank. However it is in a museum and likely not for sale. But this one would be a real cream puff.

post-59904-143141922553_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141922564_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143141922573_thumb.jpg