Celebrating my Centurion's 40th Birthday

Centurion

Who could have guessed, way back in mid-December, 1970, that the new Buick my Dad just brought home would remain so significant to me in mid-December, 2010?

And, yet, I still drive the car somewhat regularly, and even my wife comments on the impressive power of the 455-4. This is one of those Buicks that we always regarded as a fine car. Forty years and 156,000 glorious miles down the highway, the Centurion cruises on. The engine has received new valve cover gaskets and spark plugs along the way, but, apart from oil changes, that's all. The transmission has been serviced, but no rebuilds ever required.

I was thrilled to hear the weather forecast on Friday, December 17, since that is the actual 40th birthday date of Centurion ownership. It looks like we'll have dry weather -- perfect for driving the old Buick to the office. Friday evening, we're already slated for a special dinner out. I'll designate the dinner as the Centurion's birthday party!

centurioniii.jpg

Larger image:

http://photos.aaca.org/files/3/0/6/2/9/centurioniii_original.jpg

centurion_821435_original.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Happy Birthday to your ward Brian, any many more. My great-uncle had a '71 LeSabre coupe from new,

in Nocturne Blue with black top and blue interior, that eventually succumbed to Northern Michigan Winter road salt.

He and my grandparents came to visit us in about '73 or so, and one of my happy chores (I volunteered)

was to wash the car before their return. I have to say I fell in love with the handsome brute

(even if it was just a LeSabre) that very day, a lasting affair.

The Centurion group that posts here has whetted my appetite for these cars and helps keep the flame alive,

and one day I'll find a Formal Coupe or 'vert.

In the meantime, those who admire and desire these cars get to live vicariously through your car(s),

and random meetings such as this Nocturne Blue convert spied on a trip. (A car owned since new by

the stranger's great-uncle, he's now part of the Centurion Registry).

Enjoy your special dinner Friday, and let us how many valets fight over who gets to park your "keeper!"

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Congratulations on the Centurion's milestone birthday, Brian. Enjoy many, many more together!

Here in Minnesota my Centurion is sleeping for the winter, and I envy you your beautiful, smooth and luxurious drive tomorrow!

I'll just cruise with you in spirit tomorrow, if it's okay with you..........

post-31691-143138377791_thumb.jpg

post-31691-143138377793_thumb.jpg

post-31691-143138377795_thumb.jpg

I'll just cruise with you in spirit tomorrow, if it's okay with you..........

Absolutely, Redrob! I have a hunch that several of my Buick friends around the country will be "riding" along with me in the backseat. I have received a flurry of e-mails today from long-time Buick friends in Alaska (AKBuickman) and Ohio.

And thanks for sharing the great photos of your spectacular Centurion! Someday, I hope we'll see all of these cars together at a great Centurion get-together. Let's start thinking about putting together another Centurion photo calendar for 2012.

I appreciate the fine sentiments from all of you who have responded.

I've pondered today whether my Centurion might possibly be the earliest production, surviving example of the series. My car was Centurion Formal Coupe body number 125 out of the Southgate, California plant, and the 774th 1971 LeSabre and Centurion turned out by the assembly plant. The cars were also being built at Fairfax and Wilmington. Among the many Centurions that have been submitted to Smartin's Centurion Registry, mine appears to be the earliest-built.

Guest BCAOffice

Happy birthday to your beautiful Centurion, Brian! May you and your car celebrate many more birthdays together!

Mike & Nancy Book

BCA # 9202

Thanks to all for your great comments and photos on the occasion of the Centurion's 40th birthday.

Forty years ago tonight, my Dad arrived home from Portland (about 300 miles away) in the new Centurion, squeezing the "rimblower" horn as he pulled into the garage. I'll never forget my first glimpse under the single, bare lightbulb in the garage ceiling. Not only was it a new Buick, but the car had the fantastic Buick chrome plated road wheels that I always admired.

The Centurion brought me the eighteen miles to work today.

It’s a spectacular day here in Tacoma, and the Olympic Mountains are shining white with snow against the incredible blue sky.

When I dressed this morning, I chose dark brown slacks with a “Sandpiper Beige” sweater and black horizontal stripe. One of the women in the office already pointed out to me that I match my car today! That was, of course, my intention all along.

Mine's not a Centurion, but my '71 LeSabre will be 40 the third week of August, 2011 - according to the data plate. It was purchased by some friends of my uncles at Lindeman Buick in Westfield, NJ in October 1971. I have the window sticker and original NJ title. My uncle bought it from them in 1980 with 40K on it for $600.00. He gave it to me in July 2000. It's got some bondo in the fenders and a lot of the interior plastic has deteriorated, but the dash looks terrific. It needs some work but still runs and drives good except for a driveline vibration that starts just over 50 mph. My wife hates it. She thinks it's big and ugly but I still love her - and the car! Hope to make it to the BCA National in Danvers in July.

It's always fun to read storys about cars still with their original owner/family.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Thank you, Mike and John, for your comments. John, we'd love to see photos of that fine '71 LeSabre.

I decided to snap a few quick photos yesterday during lunchtime. The rare December sun is harsh, creating lots of shadows and a challenge for shooting photos, but you might enjoy some of these.

I opted to do a "Tour de Tacoma", with a few shots taken in some of my favorite local places.

For starters, I opted to shoot a few photos at the 1948-vintage Mueller-Harkins Buick building. These initial shots were taken on the ramps leading to rooftop parking and various service levels.

rsz_p1010915_original.jpg

rsz_p1010916_original.jpg

rsz_p1010919_original.jpg

rsz_p1010923_original.jpg

Guest my3buicks

VERY NICE pictures Brain, I like them, a little out of the ordinary. As ALWAYS your Centurion photographed beautifully and looks like a million bucks.

Thanks, Derek. I love snow pictures!

One thing really stands out about the day yesterday. Wherever I went, people were drawn to the Buick and asked all about it. Although these cars don't look "old" to me, their vast size, chrome, and even the colors stand out among today's look-a-like sedans in black or shades of gray. I gave them all an ear-full about the Centurion's 40th birthday, and they loved the concept -- enjoying the fact that someone is actually nuts enough to plan a birthday event just for his car!

A final, parting shot shows the Centurion in front of my favorite coffee shop. As I sat inside having a roll and a soda, I couldn't help but watch the passersby as they stopped to enjoy a really special car. I'm always proud that it says "BUICK" in nice block lettering across the decklid; I like to see people appreciate my favorite brand of automobile.

This historic building is right on the southern edge of Tacoma's historic auto row. If you all pay me a visit, I'll give you the tour!

rsz_p1010913_original.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm in Maine so my LeSabre is tucked away until spring. At least it's home with me in it's new garage, not stored 7 miles away as in the past. It's in the garage with my '72 LTD and my '09 Mustang convertible while I spend the winter driving the '89 Cutlass I inherited from my uncle. Come spring, I'll have to get my son to show me how to post pictures. I'm pretty computer illiterate when it comes to more than posting messages.