harmonic balancer bolt

Barney Eaton

I just had a call asking if the harmonic balancer bolt is right or left threads.

The caller said they have tried breaking it loose both ways and it has not moved.

before going to plan B they want to be certain the direction.

I checked the parts book and it really doesn't say but I would think if it were left hand that would be in the description.

we need an answer so the bolt can be removed.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Nether my 1/2 inch impact wrench nor the starter trick would work for me, had to use a pipe extension on a large breaker bar to crack it loose.

On our church car repair days I play service writer. We had gotten in a Buick Park Avenue that needed a harmonic balancer replaced. I saw two of our guys trying different ways to get the bolt loose. Couldn't get it to come loose. I told them about the breaker bar/starter trick. They looked at me like I had a third eye.

Imagine their surprise when it worked...

You may need to heat and lube many times , or for a few days. The P B blaster takes time to get in, and by warming , this expands things alowing the lube to do its job. This takes time, repeating this time and time and time and time .There is no QUICK fix.

Guest Kitskaboodle

About a year ago I had to replace my crank sensor so I had to remove

that bolt too. As I recall I wedged the end part of my breaker bar towards

the radiator side and cranked the starter. Worked like a charm. :)

Kit

Guest Mc_Reatta

Beg to differ Nemo, a bigger hammer (more power) is always the universal "quick fix" ;) Didn't you watch Tim the 'Tool Man' Taylor? :eek:

Guest Mc_Reatta

Now you got the right idea!

My impact wrench is quite capable of more than 400 ft lbs of torque and wouldn't budge that nut.

No idea how much the starter motor would supply, but in my case that wouldn't budge it either.

20 year putting significant muscle onto a 6 foot pipe extension managed to crack it free.

If your doing this often, a 3/4 inch impact wrench capable of over 700 ft lbs of torque would be highly recommended.

• 10 months later...

Have seen two different sizes of HB bolt. One is 15/16" and the other is 1 1/8". I just have a 1/2 impact. Sometimes it takes a while but always comes loose.

BTW that is 297 N-M which is "only" 219 lb-ft. Do not need to play godzila.

I forgot at the NM torque specs, Padgett.. you're correct.. I just saw 297 and got scared right there. ;)

I think Godzilla must have tightened mine. My 1/2" CP impact wouldn't touch it with my smallish 120 PSI limited compressor. Higher PSI might have done the trick.

Agreed.. mine was crazy tight.. Starter trick didn't work. 1/2" impact didn't work. Even with the really big air compressor.

Finally used a pull bar, and about a 4 foot metal pipe with two men pushing on it, and one holding the flywheel. That got it loose.

Hey folks,

Now that Ronnie has the way to get the bolt out on his site, what is the best way to retorque the bolt please? I know it would take a torque wrench and a fair amount of torque, and the proper way would be to lock the flywheel under the car probably, but is there an easier way from up top?

I used an 1-1/8" socket to remove the bolt. You should check closely for damage to the Crankshaft Position sensor and the blades on the back of the balancer while you have the balancer off.

Well, I got the balancer out and your suspicions/warning was spot on. The blades on the back of the balancer look like a train wreck. I picked up a replacement sensor, now I need to find a replacement harmonic balancer. Any one have one for sale?

• 6 months later...

Is installation easier than removal or is there more to it than just bolting the new one back on? Does it have to be pressed on or fitted a certain notch way besides being torqued down? I saw torque values ranging anywhere from 150-300!! Not sure they make a torque wrench that large.

Guest Corvanti

219 ft/lbs according to the 88 (89) final edition manual... i just torqued my ancient craftsman t/wrench past the 150 it goes until the metal gauge bent enough that if the gauge continued, it would be around 220... :D no problems with the crankshaft balancer since...

replaced it a couple months ago, (used ronnie's video to get it loose). had no problems with it fitting back on. (it did take a little while to get the crank sensor placed as it should be).

hope this helps! :)

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

219 ft/lbs according to the 88 (89) final edition manual... i just torqued my ancient craftsman t/wrench past the 150 it goes until the metal gauge bent enough that if the gauge continued, it would be around 220... :D no problems with the crankshaft balancer since...

replaced it a couple months ago, (used ronnie's video to get it loose). had no problems with it fitting back on. (it did take a little while to get the crank sensor placed as it should be).

hope this helps! :)

I found this info on another Buick forum from a mechanic. I'm not clear on what this means or if it even applies to the Reatta 3800. What is a "keyway"? :confused:

"when you are ready to reinstall the new balancer lube the crank shaft with engine oil and what whatever you do, DO NOT LOOSE THE KEYWAY. Make sure the balancer plates align perfectly with the crank sensor or else you risk damaging the sensor and its mount. Spin the engine by hand so that everything runs smooth and don't forget to torque the center bolt to 186 ft lbs in two stages."

A "keyway" is a notch cut inside the hole in the harmonic balancer, (see photo below), and the outside of the end of the crankshaft. There is piece of metal called a "key" that fits halfway in the balancer keyway and halfway in the crankshaft keyway that ensures proper alignment when you install the balancer.

If you have any doubts about having the tools and knowledge needed to change the balancer, I recommend that you get a mechanic to change it for you... or find a helper with the knowledge that is needed to do the job.

51JWRPyQ45L._SL210_.jpg

Guest moldymac

Good to see my old lesabre video has made its rounds around here :)

When torquing the bolt back down I like to put a pair of vice grips on the flex plate, does the trick every time.