Truck Identity Help

Buchans Bread

It's about a '26 Chevrolet. Here's a photo from one I sent home last week:

PB050257-vi.jpg

Note the oval ignition / light switch on one side with oval ammeter and oil pressure gauge on the right and round speedometer in the center. The steering column quadrant is also a give-away, in addition to other interior features.

It's probably just a Chevrolet firewall with a body constructed by an outside firm. Measure the wheelbase as it's also not necessarily a car chassis, though the wheels don't look as stout as the ones I've seen on trucks. It's hard to scale from the photo, but it looks larger than a car chassis. The truck chassis used the regular 4 cylinder car engine, same steering column, etc., just like Ford did with TT trucks.

Neat find.

W_Higgins, I'd love to see some more pictures of the one you sent home last week. Looks like an amazing restoration.

Buchans Bread, It should be easy to find a compete running gear relatively cheap and in relatively good shape on EBay. These old Chevies were tough mechanically but the wood-framed bodies didn't last long. Old Chevy truck chassis' are plentiful in farm country. This one should be a fairly straight forward restoration for a good woodworker and will be a truly unique and interesting vehicle.

Don

Chevrolet car chassis, 1927 was the last year for wood wheels and 2 wheel brakes but I think this is a couple of years older.

I thought that 1927 Chevys had bullet headlamps. That's why I said 1926.

W_Higgins, I'd love to see some more pictures of the one you sent home last week. Looks like an amazing restoration.

Photos per Don's request -- I hope it's alright adding these here, and maybe it will be helpful to the o.p., as well. I would say it's not so much a restoration as it is a "creation". While the body is nicely done, it's more like the work of a cabinet maker than a builder of commercial bodies. It's a parade vehicle is what it is, and the owner having recently decided to sell it, brought it in to resolve some reliability issues:

PB050254-vi.jpg

PB050258-vi.jpg

PB050255-vi.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

'27s did have bullet/bowl headlights, and the radiator shell had more of a "Model A widow's peak" at the top center, as opposed to a "Lincoln swoop" at the top, as on the '25-'26 Chevy. Cars also had bright radiator shells, either aluminum or nickel.

That bread truck is a neat find; would be quite the project, but looks like it might be salvageable...

Definitely earlier than 1927. Probably earlier than 1926. 1926 Chevys had a bar between the headlights which this one appears to lack -- hard to tell for sure.

Don

According to the ad for the truck on ebay it is being advertised as a 1917 model from Anaconda, Montana.

1917 CHEVROLET BAKERY TRUCK (ANACONDA MONTANA): eBay Motors (item 230522587682 end time Sep-12-10 18:02:52 PDT)

The funny line to me is "This item is NOT eligible for the eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection Program". Ya'think?!?

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Photos per Don's request -- I hope it's alright adding these here, and maybe it will be helpful to the o.p., as well. I would say it's not so much a restoration as it is a "creation". While the body is nicely done, it's more like the work of a cabinet maker than a builder of commercial bodies. It's a parade vehicle is what it is, and the owner having recently decided to sell it, brought it in to resolve some reliability issues:

PB050254-vi.jpg

PB050258-vi.jpg

PB050255-vi.jpg

WOW! take the wooden body off, add the metal body and save a ton of grief on the "restoration"

looks like a match to me ... :)

I think they're right in that it probably is just the car-type chassis. The wheelbase doesn't look long enough, aside from being lighter duty in other ways. The fenders and hood would still be much like the one of which I posted photos. That '25 - '28 estimate is probably as close as you'll get without a knowledgeable Chevy nerd looking at it in person to pick apart the details. That said, you can probably just put that body on whatever chassis of that year range you want and still be correct.

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)

I know of a 1926 Chevy light truck Chassies in a bone yard not far from here. The yard is in Sheffield, Mass. It is missing the head from the motor, and radiator. The sheet metal is almost nil. Like old rover said...Ruff, ruff, ruff. I would have to look again, but the frame may also be rotted. Probablely not worth the price of shipping, But with that said, parts is parts. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)