HERSHEY HELP NEEDED!

Steve Moskowitz

Willing to help Friday if I can get from Days Inn in downtown Hershey to Hershey Lodge, which is where I think the auction is being held. Flying in, so I have no car.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, TX

1949 Buick Super Estate Wagon

1950 Buick Roadmaster 2-dr. ht.

1954 Nash Ambassador 2-dr. ht.

1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk

1958 Rambler Ambassador 4-dr. ht. wagon

1959 Buick Electra 2dr. ht.

1962 Buick Electra 225

1963 Chrysler New Yorker 4-dr. sedan

1963 Buick Wildcat conv.

Last minute change in plans -- sorry for late response, but:

I can Volunteer to DRIVE,

and will be there THURSDAY

may be available FRIDAY

I'm sure it's hard to co-ordinate and have a job for everyone that shows up, but seems like most of the volunteers just stood around. I don't think any of us got to drive the cars; that appeared to be all done by the the RM staff. I ended up down in the parking garage with a couple of other volunteers tending the car keys. The head RM guy there told us he really appreciated us being there as there was no one on Thursday doing what we were doing which he said made his job a lot harder. I couldn't hear any of the auction where I was, but I got to see the cars come into the garage after they were auctioned, talk with some of the RM guys and car owners, so while it wasn't what I had in mind when I volunteered, I enjoyed seeing that part of things.

While we did spend some time standing around at first, We got to push and drive some cars on Thursday. All of the early brass cars on Thursday were a real sight to see. We had a blast!

I helped to push a car once; stood around and felt totally useless the rest of the time, as there appeared to be three times as many helpers as were needed. I was dressed in the requested black pants, white shirt, but when the security staff jumped me and asked what right I had to be there, I left after a couple of hours of feeling useless and in the way. Won't be back as a volunteer.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Pete,

Just curious, were you there on Thursday or on Friday? The need for volunteers depended a lot on how many of the cars they were able to get running. On Thursday, I was amazed at how many of the early brass cars they actually got running. I think that the need for volunteers was probably less than expected as I think that they were successful in getting more of them running than anybody probably expected.

I too volunteered. Yea, there was some standing around, but once the auction got to the cars it was a blast to watch the RM guys run around trying to start the cars, especially the brass era stuff.

I certainly pushed a few cars, but I was also lucky enough to drive a lot of cars up as well. I had a ball driving all those diverse automobiles!

I also must mention that there was a blonde gal who was also driving cars up. My hat is off to her as she obviously was comfortable with driving just about anything that was thrown at her. Kudo's to her!

I'll definitely volunteer again.

Peter

P.S. Oh, and they served by favorite pizza (FREE!). :)

FYI: I originally only volunteered for Thursday, but wandered over Friday to see what was up and got sequestered to drive again. (no complaints here) :)

Also, one of the other drivers was a volunteer at the AACA Museum. Scott was his name I do believe. Had a ball chatting with him between pushing and driving cars. Thanks Scott!

I helped to push a car once; stood around and felt totally useless the rest of the time, as there appeared to be three times as many helpers as were needed. I was dressed in the requested black pants, white shirt, but when the security staff jumped me and asked what right I had to be there, I left after a couple of hours of feeling useless and in the way. Won't be back as a volunteer.
Pete,

To the defense of both RM Auctions and AACA, two years ago I volunteered and after a couple of hours, almost everyone jumped ship and left the work for a handfull of us. It left me, Tammy Cox, my father (who is 70 years old and on heart meds), and an employee from Rick Hoover's restoration shop. We pushed almost every car, while the rest of the crowd hung us out to dry.

Towards the end of the night Hulon McCraw, Herb Oakes and Rick Lay did help us out, but the four of us busted our butts. Be glad to have the help that you had. I know with exception of one car, I pushed 87 cars off of that stage and out the door.

I have since volunteered to help with the auction, but have vowed that I won't if I get hung out to dry again.

The right thing to do would've been to set it up in shifts, but be thankfull you didn't get handed the deal that the four of us did. If I remember right, the man who worked for Rick Hoover left the auction to go back to Rick's shop to finish a '51 Chevy pickup so it could be on the show field the next morning.