New Cadillac TV commercial

Guest 19caddylimo

Guest 19caddylimo

Just saw a new commercial for the 2011 Cadillac's. They seem like an impressive car, no doubt. However, they close with............

"Cadillac. The New Standard of the World."

That's a pretty bold statement in this day and age.

I hope the quality of the car can live up to one of, if not the greatest tag lines of any product ever made.

Not trying to offend anyone or anything, but do you think it's possible that a new, first-time Cadillac owner is even aware of the origins and the significance of the old "Standard of the World" tag line?

I hope the car and the company are successful with their new campaign. It'll be good for all of us.

Not trying to offend anyone or anything, but do you think it's possible that a new, first-time Cadillac owner is even aware of the origins and the significance of the old "Standard of the World" tag line?

No, a 30 something yuppie (even yuppie is a 20 year old term) does not care about slogans like we did in the old days. Packard used "Ask" for 40 + years, Cadillac "Standard" for a long time and Buick "When Better Cars are Built, Buick will build them" and so on.

I know why Cadillac got that slogan but I doubt few people remember. Now, why doesn't Cadillac race it's competition and disassemble and reassemble their cars to prove superiority.

That's a pretty bold statement in this day and age.

It sounds more like an admission to me. It comes as close to saying that their past products didn't live up to their expected/past standards as anything I've ever heard in a car commercial.

The CTS V has beaten the very best from Germany for two years in a row. One of the mags that deals mainly with new cars came up with a subjective "excitement factor" to faver the Germans just to keep it close; despite that, the CTS is every bit the car the best the Germans have to offer. Maybe not the best in past years, but within the last few years, no excuses required.

Agree that is good for Cadillac fans!

(I prefer my CTS to my wife's A-4, but maybe it just fits my waistline better!)

Cadillac's heyday in the American luxury market was from around 1950 when they passed Packard (I'm sure that yardstick date can be debated) to the early 70's. They have not been a standard for much since.

They have come back since falling to 5th place in luxury sales, but I think the jury is still out in the marketplace on how much "GM - itis" they still contain.

I highly doubt anyone under 40 has any clue about the "Standard of the world" slogan. Just like they have no clue that the portholes they are slapping on their Lexus and Hondas are a Buick trademark.

I'm glad Cadillac isn't copying Lexus or Mercedes styling like everyone else does. But I am still not a fan of the Origami look they have been using for the last few years. Fold it a few more times. Maybe it will look better.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

It sounds more like an admission to me. It comes as close to saying that their past products didn't live up to their expected/past standards as anything I've ever heard in a car commercial.

It could also be interpreted (by a 'glass half full guy') that they are saying "as the standard has gone up, so have we!"

As for whether anyone would remember the vintage or legacy behind this slogan, they would if Caddy ran more ads like this one:

Joe

I saw a nice fold out ad in AUTOMOBILE magazine touting Caddy's new CTS coupe. First of all, CTS? What does that mean and it sounds like they will change it ina couple of years. Eldorado was a name plate of 50 plus years.

This was a coupe and the ad played that up. Cadillac builds coupes, we have a history etc.

540 hp etc. Basically it's a Cadillac sitting on the Corvette chassis so GM can spread the cost of Corvette engineering out.

Styling is as LINC400 noted, fair - unique but too squarish for my tastes - in an effort to be different. The coupe is a nicer looker then the sedans but what's it cost $60,000?

That is my formula Reatta man. Got my CTS with 18,000 miles at the price of a new Accord. For now, you can still do this cheaper than many of the import luxury cars but that is also changing, which is another factor pointing to more acceptance of Cadillac as a legitimate higher end car.

Style is subjective but Cadillac has in my opinion been pretty successful at a tough task - redefining itself to a new type of buyer without alienating the traditional buyers too much.

Yep, Caddy fans love the Eldo nameplate but the CTS has defined itself in a tough market in less than 5 years. While the "V" is the image leader, the standard sedans are selling like hotcakes, and it is a copy of...nothing. Personally, I like that a lot in a car.

As demographics change most people will be less focused on Detroit's bad years as well as glory years. If people will accept cars like Khias and Hyundais for what they are - mush better than in prior years, I would hope US made cars are accepted as well - as long as they strive to equal or better other brands in terms of quality, style and techological advances.

Steve,

Some good points. Just keep tweaking that styling. A coupe could be a good flagship car. Plenty of boomers with cash still and no need for a 4 door sedan.

No, a 30 something yuppie (even yuppie is a 20 year old term) does not care about slogans like we did in the old days. Packard used "Ask" for 40 + years, Cadillac "Standard" for a long time and Buick "When Better Cars are Built, Buick will build them" and so on.

I know why Cadillac got that slogan but I doubt few people remember. Now, why doesn't Cadillac race it's competition and disassemble and reassemble their cars to prove superiority.

Boy how I remember the slogans and jingles! They stuck in your head before our minds were overpowered with the Internet and information overload.

Also gone are the days of model year unveilings... soaped over showroom windows, covered cars, and the parties held like grand openings or movie premiers for the new model year. Now days they just slide in under the radar like we have seen them all along.. and since cars all look alike these days, they pretty much do.

Eric

I saw a nice fold out ad in AUTOMOBILE magazine touting Caddy's new CTS coupe. First of all, CTS? What does that mean and it sounds like they will change it ina couple of years. Eldorado was a name plate of 50 plus years.

This was a coupe and the ad played that up. Cadillac builds coupes, we have a history etc.

540 hp etc. Basically it's a Cadillac sitting on the Corvette chassis so GM can spread the cost of Corvette engineering out.

Styling is as LINC400 noted, fair - unique but too squarish for my tastes - in an effort to be different. The coupe is a nicer looker then the sedans but what's it cost $60,000?

My guess has been that CTS stands for Cadillac Touring Sedan.

Doesn't really work with a coupe though does it.

CTC?

:confused:

I do love the look of that new coupe!

DTS was DeVille Touring Sedan derived. But remember they actually made the "etcetera" - Eldorado Touring Coupes said ETC

Very good point made about a balance between changing your image and using your history. They are trying to shed the "old fart car" image but not start from scratch. Similar in many ways to Buick in North America. Buick has used their historic image very successfully in their major market, China. Yes, that is a factual statement on markets.

I kind of like the "edgy" styling, but really prefer the style of my 1941 and 1954 Convertibles, and enjoy the "thumbs-up" they receive from appreciative folks, young and old alike.

Just saw a new CTS coupe on the road for the first time. I have been wanting Cadillac to come out with a 2 door ever since the Eldorado was discontinued. I have to say I'm glad they didn't name this thing "Eldorado" as people have been suggesting. While the last generation Eldo was underwhelming style wise, this car just looks like a cheap hatchback with the new Origami Cadillac front end bolted on to it. Except it isn't cheap, and it isn't a hatchback even though it looks like one. I can't see too many people buying this thing. Then they will discontinue it and say "See, we built one, people just don't want 2 doors".

The CTS wagon with the 306 horsepower direct injection V6 and all-wheel drive is my next car--someday. Kudos to Cadillac for daring to be different and for actually building a wagon (I don't know why I have a thing for wagons, but imagine having your new BMW M3 eaten alive by some guy in a CTS-V WAGON!).

I think Cadillac has done an excellent job of creating a uniquely American brand with the performance, quality, and value of some of the high end European and Japanese makes. They aren't following, they're forging their own path, and the hardware is awfully good. I don't think it's worth a giggle anymore when people mention Cadillac in the same breath as Mercedes, BMW and Lexus, and it appears that a growing number of people agree. That's only good news for GM, right?