Ames IA Flooding

Bill Stoneberg

Hope to have some pics thur. As you see the showfield is covered with 10' of water.

I'll guarantee one thing, the people of Iowa aren't waiting for FEMA to show up.

Cleanup is happening now

A prayer or 2 for those in Ames area might help.

This came up in about 5 hours.

Would have been impossible to get all the Buicks to high ground stating around 11:00 PM

Rick,

I did not get a chance previously to thank you and Bill for an excellent event. As this is a serious event, we do pray for the folks effected. On a lighter side, we should all probably be in church every day tankful that this rain did not come earlier.

John

Here is a link for some pictures of the showfield and Scheman Center. Amazing.

Photos: Record Ames Flooding - Photos - KCCI Des Moines

Sad. I watched the KCCI videos and it's really pretty bad.

It looks exactly like the flood of 1978 that I mentioned in a post when I first read about Ames hosting the National. The footage from inside Hilton Coliseum is especially sad. That was the year they built the coliseum, and the parquet basketball floor was ruined just weeks after it had been installed. It had never been used.

Thank goodness no Buicks were there. These things come up way too fast in this area to be able to fully evacuate or prepare for them. (I was told the 1978 flood came up in just a couple of hours as well.)

Never trust a midwestern floodplain!:(

Can you imagine the claim line for JC Taylor, Hagerty's and Grundy ?

300 + Claims in 1 day ???

Lets hope that the restoration goes quickly. it is a great little town.

I guess the list of safety equipment for a national should include life jackets in addition to a fire extinguisher.

Chuck

Can you imagine the claim line for JC Taylor, Hagerty's and Grundy ?

300 + Claims in 1 day ???

Has any one looked at their insurance policy to see if they have coverage for flood. I looked at my policy from Grundy and It does not say anything about flood. I dont know if I am covered in a flood event at a meet. I will check further tomarrow but there may be some issues. Has anyone checked this out? I would think it could happen again...Wow

Chuck