Antique or street rod?

Guest Midnight Farmer

Hey Jerry- Sounds like you are going original-you're the man! For the rest of you struggling with this decision-this is only the 8th year Pontiac was produced. I have a 1929 Pontiac Roadster. I guarantee you will get more attention on the street or at a show with your original car. They are rare birds and so very cool. As for the your body man who has done a bunch of rods and is pushing that idea...when you are a carpenter, everything looks like a nail.

As for the your body man who has done a bunch of rods and is pushing that idea...when you are a carpenter, everything looks like a nail.

Then if one is a Restorationist....all cars look like the day they came from the factory....with only a little character added over the years ;)

Guest Midnight Farmer

I have been gone to St. Jude at Memphis to visit my grandson. Stopped at the bodyshop when I got home, but not much progress. I was hoping to get the car back for our small Fall Festival Parade, but doubt that is going to happen.

How is he doing? I went back and looked at the photo of the kids in the car, he sure is a cute little fellow. :)

Oh, as soon as our Region President signs the free membership form I contacted you about it will be on it's way to you. All you have to do is fill out the top of the form with your information and send it in to the address listed and you will be a member of the AACA for 2010 for free. Once you get your card with your membership number on it you can contact the Library and Reseach Center for your free 1.5 hours of help with any questions you might have about your "new" car. :)

Guest Midnight Farmer

My grandson. Jerett is 3 1/2 and has ALL Luekemia, the most treatable kind. Thur. was day 15, evaluation day. He got a good report. He will be there for 2 months and then come home for a week. Treatments will last for 2 1/2 years.

Jerry

Jerry, I have ,for some reason, just found your Thread. Congratulations on your decision. But really, if it is your wifes car, was there ever any doubt?? Yea, right!!

Good to hear your grandsons condition is treatable. We all, I am sure, wish him a speedy recovery. And perhaps drive him home in the Pontiac??

I have recently "completed" a refurbishment on my "50 Buick. Drove it to Ames, IA and back for the Buick Club of America Nationals. The attention on the road was gratifying, although that was not the reason for the car. I JUST WANTED AN OLD CAR!! And yours will be even more specisl.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ben

Guest Midnight Farmer

Thank you for your well wishes. I for sure will be taking him some more rides in the old car and he loves to ride in the tractors and the combine.

• 3 months later...
Guest Midnight Farmer

Yesterday, we brought the '34 Pontiac home from the body shop. It looks good, tornado dents are repaired and complete paint job. I still need a headlight lens. I ordered one from a place in Denver that I found on the internet, but it turned out to be for a Chevy. Any ideas? The bodyman was not able to find any of the chrome channel for the window on one door, but said he has found it in the past. Any ideas on that?

I sent some picts. to Susan, so maybe she will post them on here for me.

Remember I was having a overheating problem? We had the radiator boiled and a mechanic noticed that the damper on the exhaust was not opening all the way (I think that is where it was). Any way it ran cool coming home, about 10 miles. And it was about 40 degrees outside! Got the car up to 50 MPH once, but it still wants to wander on the steering.

I don't know if this where to post as I don't know if anyone will read, since my last message was in the summer. Jerry

Midnight Farmer,

I just read this thread for the first time and was pleased to see the first photos you sent in. A lot better shape than I expected. Nice looking Pontiac!

You were talking earlier with bofusmosby about how your car has a gangster look about it. I've heard that John Dillinger preferred '34 Terraplanes. But still, if you parked in front of a bank and got out wearing a double-breasted pin-stripe suit and a fedora...you might get a free ride in a police car (you might want to call your banker first on that one)! Seriously, if you wanted to make it available, your car could get a little work as a movie car someday.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Midnight Farmer

It looks great! Much more of a gangster car than mine! I'm glad you are keeping us informed as to your progress. Hey, I'd trade you my car for your anyday!:D

Even though I like to modify my vehicles I dont think I would change much on that Pontiac if I had it,the only thing I would do is adapt a T-5 trans behind the original motor to make it a little more highway friendly if the motor is screaming at 55 and see if bendix self energizing brakes from a 50s Pontiac could be installed if nothing has the be hacked up doing it. Now if it was drug out of a field and was rough or missing a bunch of parts then it would be a different story but even I will have to say it looks to nice to butcher.

I spent the better part of my childhood riding around in a scratched up, painted black 34 chevy with the original mohair interior and a drivetrain last in pieces at the factory. Some mechanicing involved, a small bit of consternation and a lifetime of fond memories that fuel my car addiction later and "Betsy" as she's known is now a beautiful pueblo gold (creamy cappucino color) with black fenders and bright Swamp Lily orange wheels, a new interior and still the drivetrain unopened since 1934 with rebuilt DuBonnet's, Brakes and Wiper Motor. You can see her in a photo in Antique Automobile, at Louisville, two pages past the centerfold, behind the Buick Laundalet. I'd drive her anywhere, including often to the WalMart or the grocery store. Of all the toys I can play with she brings back memories of dad more than any other and will always have a special place in my life. I know the same will be true for your grandkids. Enjoy!!

Guest Midnight Farmer

Thanks for the nice comments and to Susan for posting the picts. for me. The guy in the picts. is the body repairman and not me. The last thing he said to me was to let him know if I ever wanted to sell it, as he would leave the body the same and put a V-8 in it.

I hope to get some family pictures and give some rides on Thanksgiving day, weather permitting. Jerry

Thanks for the nice comments and to Susan for posting the picts. for me. The guy in the picts. is the body repairman and not me. The last thing he said to me was to let him know if I ever wanted to sell it, as he would leave the body the same and put a V-8 in it.

I hope to get some family pictures and give some rides on Thanksgiving day, weather permitting. Jerry

You are welcome. And my bad :P, I thought that was you with the car. :)

Please don't sell it to that guy. :o

Guest dokks6t9

That's the LAST guy you want to sell it to....

I'm glad someone table this question. I have a website ( www.all-about-detail.com/ ) where I allow private owners of Classic Cars List Free. This question always perplexes me when I go to list a customized vehicle. Since it hasn't been kept original do I listed it as a Classic or Antique? I have been leaning toward seperating custom/hot rod cars and trucks into a categorie of their own.

Edited by LFitzc (see edit history)

Guest dokks6t9
I'm glad someone table this question. I have a website ( www.all-about-detail.com/ ) where I allow private owners of Classic Cars List Free. This question always perplexes me when I go to list a customized vehicle. Since it hasn't been kept original do I listed it as a Classic or Antique? I have been leaning toward seperating custom/hot rod cars and trucks into a categorie of their own.

I wouldn't categorize them. Let people surf through the ads; it's more fun that way. Just be sure to list the mods; let the customer decide it that's for him/her.

Guest bkazmer

my non politically correct but direct answer:

Look up Classic on the CCCA site - if it's one of those cars, use the term

Call the others Antique. I can see some leeway for modified brakes, 12 V conversions

Call modified cars Rods - if the engine or tranny is changed, if the body is cut, it is neither original nor restored

• 3 weeks later...

I know this post is months past when you first started the discussion, but, to add my 2 cents worth, I am for restoring, or keeping as original as possible. I have a

34 Pontiac that I bought on ebay in 2001. It had 25,000 original miles on it then, now nearing 40,000. I DO drive her frequently including an "eventful" cross country trip to Ohio in the summer of 2009. As to the speed, I mostly drove about 55, but did exceed 60 many times. If you get the steering and front end adjusted you should very well be able to drive at near highway speeds. (I drove mostly on secondary roads on my long trip, but did travel on some stretches of interstate occasionally).

Additionally, I'm 62 and am not a fan of hot rodding the remaining, restorable, or in decent shape, vintage cars. Good luck with your Pontiac. Don, Phoenix, AZ

You certainly generated a whole lot of discussion on your '34 Pontiac. There are a few other things I would offer (from personal experience with my '34). The front knee action shocks will need to be rebuilt. This was an item people just forgot about back in the day, and, by now, the interior parts are dried up. If you try to add fluid to them you definitely will have an oily, sticky mess as the oil WILL seep out (personal experience). You can restore them yourself (I have a manual on this) but I had mine removed after I bought the car and sent them to Apple Hydraulics for rebuilding.

The Bendix brakes are very good and reasonably easy to work on. It does take time though and can be a bit tricky, but they work quite well. I added turn signal lights on mounts you can find on ebay and the lights from another source that match the feel of the car. Also I installed a third brake light in the rear window for added safety.

If you need any assistance, please let me know and I will do what I can for advice and help. A couple of 1934 Pontiac owners have contacted me for help over the years, since my car is original. One in PA has a 2 door touring sedan, one in Ohio is not yet working on his and one near here in Scottsdale and I see each other frequently as I help him on his Pontiac. Oh, if you decide to rebuild the engine, it does have babbit bearings that should be sent to a reputable shop that knows how to do them. I had a very bad experience with that and a shop in Tempe, AZ that caused me to breakdown in Illinois last summer due to a very bad babbitting job. In Ohio, Hart's Machine Shop, re-did the babbit bearings and then I was able to continue my trip last fall back to Ohio. I have lots of stories and hope that my experiences can help you avoid the pitfalls that I experienced. Don, Phoenix, AZ

Guest bofusmosby

Don

I own a 37 Pontiac, and I believe they use the same knee action shocks as your 34. How much did they charge you for the rebuilds? Also, do you have a web address for them?