My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Bernie,

Great progress and I too can't wait for the first fire up of the engine !

You mentioned you can't replate the motometer main body as it is very brittle. What about those placed that do the spray chrome. Its suppose to look like chrome and withstand heat.

Anyhow I'd just thought i'd throw that idea into the pot !

Cheers

Ian

IM WITH BERNIE TOO.....ALL YOU GUYS ON THE EAST COAST....LOOK AFTER YOURSELVES !!! ( and your cars ! )

What are you looking at? (Below) The answer is two and a half days work. I already had the right hand side splash shield that came with the car but the left hand side was missing. Making one is just one of a thousand little jobs that I tend to put off. On Monday I decided that the time had come to bite the bullet. Starting with a brown paper pattern which had to be sorted out while lying on my back under the car the next step was to find a suitable piece of sheet steel among the pile of odds and sods. after roughing it out the next step was to trial fit it. I find that no matter how careful I am marking out patterns that these things NEVER fit precisely first time. I have lost count of the number of times I have climbed under the car, marked out the location for the next cut or hole then climbed out. Finally with a fit that I was happy with the next step was to paint the thing. This was left to dry overnight. Then next morning back under the car. This shield is held in place by no less than 18 1/4 inch bolts 3/4 inch long. where these pass through the flange on the side of the crankcase and the bottom flange of the chassis rail they require a first a flat washer under the head then a spring washer under the nut. All that adds up to 18 bolts, 36 washers and 18 nuts. then there are another eight each bolts, nuts and 16 washers securing the domed cover over the spring shackle. 96 pieces altogether! All requiring some time to be spent under the car but many (most) impossible for one person to hold the spanner on both the bolt head and the nut. After working on my own for the last umpteen years I have learnt most of the tricks such as tack welding a length of wire onto the head of an out of reach bolt and have collected a range of vice grip pliers of different sizes and angles. Having bolted the thing into place.... I am now wondering if I really need an "inspection hole" though which to view the outlet of the sump oil level tap? Back to work!

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139239294_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

I am now wondering if I really need an "inspection hole" though which to view the outlet of the sump oil level tap?

Another day and having given this matter some thought and in the absence of any information regarding what I am attempting to recreate originally looked like i have decided that it has to come off again in order to make the afore mentioned "inspection hole". No doubt as soon as I do this, someone will come up with the required information.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Bernie, I tried the old put the Motometer in boiling water and then submerge in cold water. Did this about ten times. Nothing. The red stuff is still all the way at the top. The wife needs to make dinner and wants her stove back so I am done for the day. Will try again tomorrow. I thought I better report in. I am trying.

John

You should now move to the next step "bumping" the bottom of the bulb repeatedly on something firm like an inflated spare tire. This make take a little time but you should be able to start to see results with the red progressively returning to the base.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

John, sometimes one just has to give up the stove and kitchen to the wife. Testing thermostats, baking paint, washing parts in the sink. But I know your wife understands...or better yet...comprehends your disease....interesting thread for sure, shows that a restoration isn't a big task, as they say, it's 3000 little tasks.................

Very nice Bernie. It sure is looking good. Do you have a projected time for completion or no? With all the nice weather of Summer coming, I was wondering about your touring/competition schedule. So much to do and limited time... Thanks for the great work and photos. You are a true craftsman.

Chuck

Bernie, it works! Thanks for the "thumping" trick. Hit it about a hundred times on the spare tire and finally the stuff started to move from the bottom to the top. After a couple of heating, cooling, thumping cycles it all came back down. Works great. Here are a couple of before and after pics. Thanks for all the help.

post-48480-143139240999_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139241015_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313924103_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143139241045_thumb.jpg

Glad to be of assistance John. That is what I believe the Old Car movement should be all about, helping like minded enthusiasts. That and having FUN in the process.

Chuck, my time-line for completion is probably aimed at a finish around March-April 2013. Once completed the Packard will be offered for sale following a "shake-down" period. I already have my next project in mind but nothing definite only that it will for sure be a much smaller car possibly French. One thing certain is that it will be early 1920s. I can say positively that it will not be an Austin Seven. It probably has not found me yet but I am watching one car that has been in a friend's shed unloved for years.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

So what is it? I have asked several times on two or three Packard Forums and while I am sure that there are several that have been consigned to the mud in the back paddock or swept up with a whole lot of other junk I have had no replies. As is usual in these situations I have made one for myself incorporating one or two changes to suit my car. One clue is that it was fabricated from a 12 inch length of scrap exhaust pipe. I has taken about 45 minutes to make so at the going rate for "EXPERTS" working in the flash restoration shops it should have cost me $135.00

post-51681-143139243632_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

No Replies to yesterdays quiz, obviously too easy. The answer of course is the cover for the junction box on the bulkhead behind the dash. Why bother when it is virtually out of site? Simply because the factory in 1923 thought that it was sufficiently important to make one. For those unfamiliar with the early Single Six I have attached a second photograph showing the original factory counterpart on the engine side of the bulkhead

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj

.post-51681-143139244364_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139244341_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139244357_thumb.jpg

With the Packard due to go to Tony's for the completion of the trim on Wednesday I have been busy completing a number of little jobs One of the most time consuming has been the interior of the storage locker for the side screens. Not one of the most fascinating jobs but one that needed to be done. I could be accused of being pedantic but I do like to have all the slots in screw heads lining up.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Another day and with half of Melbourne's population glued to their Television watching the "Horse race that stops the Nation" the Melbourne Cup, others were quietly going about their day to day chores. I can tell you that something called Green Moon won adding another couple of million dollars to some millionaires bank balance but that is where my interest stopped. Instead I have bound the edges of the rear luggage trunk carpet and made two little leather pockets that are attached to the inner side of the hatch at the front of either seat providing useful storage space. One pocket holds the "key" for the lid of the rear luggage trunk the other a specially modified 1/2" AF ring spanner essential for the quick and very basic seat adjustment. Another small box can be ticked as completed....

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139246777_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139246763_thumb.jpg

Another step forward the Packard went off to Tony for the completion of the trim this morning so I will probably have a couple of weeks twidlling my thumbs. I am sure that something will crop up to help fill in the days.

In answer to Ian's question "When i can finally sit in it and drive it." Hopefully before the years end. I will let you know.

post-51681-143139248129_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-143139248139_thumb.jpg

Even with the car away at Tony's life continues...This morning I collected the support A bracket for the numberplate board from the platers and when I returned the postman had left the box containing the two exterior rear view mirrors I had ordered from Paul Beck in England. I am quite pleased with these they actually come NICKEL plated and while perhaps not exactly "period" I think that once they are mounted on the windscreen pillars they will look just about "right". As the end of the project draws closer the enjoyment changes! It is a bit like a grandmother supervising the dressing of a Teenage girl for her first big outing. Each piece of jewellery must be carefully selected to enhance the beauty while the wrong piece of "bling" can produce nothing short of a "tart". With the Packard one has to be aware of the original concept; Discretion and understatement is all important .

I am still looking for the "right" temporary tail lamps for the number plate board.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

post-51681-14313924917_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139249157_thumb.jpg

Bernie,

Thought of you and your <del>Coupe</del> Roadster when I recently visited the Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum which is a Packard only Museum. Reason I thought of you was the '23 Doctors Coupe they have. You can see photo's of it in the link below, photo's 63 to 85. Please forgive the picture quality, a combination of the photographer, camera and the lighting conditions.<del>

https://picasaweb.google.com/107657757915608915830/PackardMuseumFortLauderdale

Edited by Ozstatman
Add link! (see edit history)

Hi Mal

Many thanks for the thought..... Just one thing...... You would have thought that people with their obvious knowledge of all things Packard would have known that Holbrook DID NOT supply bodies for any Single Sixes. Holbrook bodies ONLY went on EIGHT cylinder chassis. The reference to their coupe as a Holbrook got me into a whole lot of trouble when I first bought my car and was trying to identify the body. My car which would have been identical to the Fort Lauerdale coupe when new, carries the factory style number 222 stamped into the underside of the bottom rail on both doors and in the centre rail of the luggage compartment lid. I am sure, if anyone was allowed to look, the Fort Lauderdale coupe, always assuming that it still has the original factory timber frame (as my car still has), would carry the same numbers.

Sorry to be pedantic but I had my knuckles firmly rapped by one PACA member in particular for daring to suggest that my car had a Holbrook body. Sorry but it is just a standard Packard Factory (Pullman?) body just like the Fort Lauderdale Coupe. The photographs are interesting none the less and thank you for your interest. We must get together some time, When next you come this far south?

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Bernie,

I'll consider my knuckles to be rapped too! Obviously a detail I'd forgotten in your dialogue about your <del>Coupe</del> Roadster. Talking about going south, I'll be doing that in March for PACA's National Packard Rally at Phillip Island. Would like to meet you and see the car then if it can be arranged.

Edited by Ozstatman
Superfluous word removed (see edit history)

Hi Mal

I shall really have to start burning the mid-night oil to make sure that it is finished & running before March. Either way I would hope that both you and David McC would find time for a coffee at out humble abode.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Just one other thing Mal

I like to refer to my car as a 'convertible victoria' rather than a roadster, there are significant differences.

Note the lack of capitals for either convertible or victoria at West Peterson's insistence.

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Yes! I know that Packard did not catalogue Convertible Victoria's until the end of the decade but my definition of a Victoria dates back to horse drawn carriages when a Victoria was a four wheel passenger conveyance with two doors, comfortable seating for two adults and "occasional" seating for a further two, somewhat smaller people. Usually with a folding top for inclement weather. I believe that this description fits my car....

How would you describe it?

Bj.

Thank you both.

Perhaps you may like to make some comment on my latest conundrum. I have made provision for an interior light basically to illuminate the rear parcel shelf. I have an original Packard switch which is mounted in the trim paned adjacent to the right hand door pillar. with the wires going to the light protruding through the trim panel through the same trim panel in the right hand rear corner behind the passenger seat. Not all that important except that I have a nice 1920s light which will require 3 1/2 inch hole to mount it. Problem is that it is less than perfect, the glass being somewhat cracked and crazed. Do I use this or wait and look for a reproduction or n.o.s fitting?

post-51681-1431392531_thumb.jpg

"Keep on keeping on"

Bj.

Bernie,

If you find one that you want but can't get it shipped to Australia, send me an email and I can arrange to buy it for you, have them ship it to me and then I can ship it to you.

Bernie, I get the same thing from time to time. Some of them won't ship to Canada either. I have a friend in the US who does exactly as Matthew suggests. It works.