My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Having gone this far I may as well share the whole story. It was not just a pretty face. It earned the nic-name of "Cross-cat". It is six inches shorter, 4 inches narrower track and approximately one hundredweight lighter than a SS100. It has a close ratio 4speed gearbox and a high ratio rear axle. Maximum speed between 105 to110 mph and a 90mph third gear. Great for highway overtaking. There is no spare room under the hood.

Last heard of it was "somewhere" in Europe.

Bernie J.

Now back to the Packard.

post-51681-143138854097_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138854101_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138854104_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

While all the above has been distracting you, I have been hard at work and now have both windscreen pillar patterns ready to take the the foundry on Monday.

Next task is to drill all the mounting holes for the running boards to bolt up to the valances before they go to Dave for painting.

Bernie J.

Hello

It is now 7.07 a.m. Having just heard the weather forecast I may have to re-think what I am doing today. The present outside temperature is 26degrees C. and the forecast maximum is 38 Degrees C. First thing I will b doing is giving the Lagonda Rapier a clean and service ready for the VSCC Club Morning Run followed by the Annual Presentation Lunch tomorrow. Then maybe I will think about drilling those holes in the Packard running boards.

Bernie J.

Hi Ian

It is now 4 p.m. I have just put the Lagonda Rapier away having given it a through chassis grease (we were driving through torrential rain last Saturday night/early Sunday morning), checked the gear box and engine oil levels, checked the radiator water level, adjusted the brakes and given it a good wash after last week's VSCC Night Navigation Trial. I have dried it off with a chamois leather and cleaned the windscreen etc. Dusted off the seats and checked the petrol level. All I need to do in the morning is fill the petrol tank and check the tire pressures and we are ready to be at the Service Station at the foot of the Westgate Bridge at 9.30 in the morning for the start of another day of excellent (competitive) motoring. What is the point of a brilliant motor car if you don't use it.

Ian, if you would like to have a look at some interesting cars we will be at the Veneto Club in Bulleen Road for Lunch.

I am afraid I am not into hosting "Garage Tea Parties". If my friends want to look at my car they have to catch it first.

Bernie J.

All in all quite a successful day. Two Lagonda Rapiers after todays Vintage Sports Car Club's Annual Awards Luncheon. Ted and Fran Geermans (Blue) PVT Cup (Post Vintage Throughbred) and Atlanta Cup (Most Successful Lady Driver) Helen & Bernie J.(White) Navigators Trophy (Most Successful Navigator) and Crossley Trophy (Best overall performance in club competition)

As they say in the classics "You have to be in it to win it" The VSCC has an intense programme of highly competitive road events over the year.

post-51681-143138857673_thumb.jpg

What a crazy place weather-wise Melbourne is after yesterdays scorching today is much cooler and drizzling rain. Mondays always seem messy days, a hangover from the weekend. I really must get motivated to drill those holes in the running boards.

Bernie J.

Finally the unpteen holes are drilled in the running boards so they can go back to Dave to be painted.

I have finally found a local (Australian) source of 3/16 X 1/2 inch, effective length, clevis pins, they are only available in stainless but they will suffice for the linkages from the hand controls so have ordered them. The seem to carry a huge stock of obscure small parts.<sales@minibearings.co> I have been waiting for three weeks for my usual nut & bolt supplier to tell me that they were unable to supply these.

Bernie J.

This afternoon I took the running boards back to Dave He tells me he should have the valances and rear fenders painted and ready to collect early next week. While out I also took the patterns for the windscreen pillars to the foundry. They should be ready in two or three weeks so things continue to move along albeit slowly.

Bernie J.

I don't know about the rest of the world but talking to Peter and Andrew who run the small foundry that I use, life is getting more difficult for foundry operators with almost constant harassment from EPA and Workplace Health & Safety inspectors. They tell me that another foundry shuts it doors every month. One local firm now sends all their work to India. What with the threat of solvent free paint only and all sorts of restrictions on noise, dust, soil contamination etc etc it is becoming harder and harder to find tradespeople who are allowed to work. I know of two chrome plating firms who have been forced to close their doors in recent times. Certainly not from a lack of work.

Bernie J.

Now that the postman has delivered the 3/16 Clevis pins I have been able to complete the setting up of the hand control links. The next little task that while relatively unimportant is still one that had to be done. Mounting the new switch and a secondhand light fitting for the courtesy light in the luggage trunk. This involved removing one of the side trim boards. Nice job for a quiet afternoon. Removing and replacing about 12 screws mainly out of sight and all requiring using a screwdriver in my left hand. Rather than risk having the light left switched on inadvertently, I am linking it into the tail light circuit so that it can only be switched on while the tail lights are turned on. This is replacing the original switch and lamp which were beyond repair. As the Doctors Coupe was a relatively low production unit this does not appear on the original wiring diagram.

I don't know if the Roadster (runabout) had a similar lamp inside the rear luggage compartment. Perhaps if someone has restored one they could tell me. It seems a very advanced feature for 1923.

Bernie J.

I have commented before about Melbourne's changeable weather. Today is cool and rather damp, not a good day to be outdoors. Hence the flash-light photograph. So there will not be a great deal of progress on the Packard. Todays photograph is for Ben. It shows the now restored instruments and switches. I have used some liquid silver on the rims and switch levers with mixed success. It works extremely well on polished brass but not so good on die-cast (zinc) The two holes are, in the centre top, the dash lamp and the one to the extreme right I believe would have originally held the cigar lighter. If you go right back to the beginning of this thread you will see that the switches and speedo were missing and the small gauges left a lot to be desired. Ben supplied the replacements and I hope that he is still holding the dash lamp and cigar lighter for me. David McC very kindly sent me the correct clock. A local locksmith was able to cut the correct code ignition key to fit the switch.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138863518_thumb.jpg

Thank you Jim

You really need to reserve your judgement until it is finished.

If you go right back through the whole 38 pages you will see that I have received a lot of help and encouragement from my friends. I still have some way and quite a few challenges to go....

Possibly another 38 pages?

Bernie J.

Bernie, way to easy of a restoration for you. I can recognize it as a car versus a pile of rusted parts.

Hi John

Remember placing that post on page one all that time ago? If only I had known how much time, money and work was going to be involved I wonder if I would have started on the Packard or gone off and looked for something else.

Oh well! They say we should never look back. But sometimes it is good for the soul. It certainly is too late now to change my mind. Looking on the bright side the sun will shine tomorrow and everything will look different.

I have one friend who keeps telling me that I should do a vintage Austin Seven next.

Some how I just cannot see it.....

Bernie J.

Bernie, referring back to one of your posts a few days ago, my 1929 Packard Roadster has a light in the dickey seat area that is operated from a switch local to the dickey seat . I just checked the "Facts Book" for the First Series and strangely it does not describe the Roadster (Runabout) even though one was offerred. The descriptions for the 2 Coupe bodies make no mention of a luggage compartment light, which is not to say that it was not provided

Thank you David

Below is a photograph of my replacement switch which fits into the original location next to the luggage trunk lid bump-stop.

I have replaced the separate boards lining the trunk with ply which will ultimately be covered with carpet. Perhaps not totally as original but in keeping with the quality of the car and today's expectations. How would the judges see this? The timber mounting block and bump stop are the originals, as is the rain gutter.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138864924_thumb.jpg

Guest cben09

Hi,,,This may makesense,,,then again,,,,

Cris is off the road,,Justin has gone to fetch chain ,,Ron is getting the plow truck a 4x4 w.\/454,,,Not all connected by cell,,,

the duallie diezel got stuck opp the post office,,,

the weather is fine,,,for SOUTHERN Maine,,,temp 25 ? c,,, really +5 to + 10 today

tomorrow will bewarmer,,,but with possible[probable] rain and freezing rain [combo???]] so much for the weather report,,

the big 15x12' door has frozen at the bottom,,,,salted it,,

we wont get into the water meeterr or the,,,,oh well,,

I think it will be easier in april or may,,

The ground hogg said we had more winter to go,,,he didnt say how much more,,,

Please ,,not to be offended at my delay in letters,,

I brought the spedo cable [ and stuff] over to the house to get justin to photo it,,knowing if

I droped it at the shop ,,,it would get sand into those lill wires,,,then into the housing,,and take forever to clean,,,the cable is beside me on the sofa,,!!! ready for Justin,to photo,,,,but hes not back yet,,and its approaching darkness,,,so the car off the road may be a problem,,,

My wet cold boots are warming under the wood stove,,[A soapstone stove,,,theyr'e the best,,]] theres a pot of stew on top,,,no terpentine or alkey berw here,,,just spring water off MtWashington,, You must understand this is still Puritanical New England,,,,,

Dont take all this too serious,,,but its what I gotta deal with,,,,

The foundry has just cast some rare square toits,,,to be followed by the infamous

"ROUND",,,,,,,,,,,Be bach soon I hope,,or look for the end of a long 80' chain

UUGH,,,Ben

Bernie, Picking up on your question about "How would the judges see this?". This is just my view, after restoring 4 - 1920's cars from junk, to as close as I could get them to as they were when delivered new. The only judge I concern myself is me (and my better half who is far more critical than any concours judge). Having said that all of my cars were judged in that brief period from when they were finished until we started using them on tours and they did well. I doubt that you are too concerned with what the judges think!!

BTW I have just mailed you some good stuff on SPA cars.

We leave next week on the "Across Australia" tour.

VETERAN CAR CLUB OF AUSTRALIA (N.S.W.) 2012 Expedition Home

Hi David

Good luck on your big trip with the Maxwell.

I am sure that it will be have perfectly after all the work you have put in on it.

I did not get to see inside your luggage trunk on the 1929 Roadster. How did you finish the interior?

Bernie J.

Hi Mal

I thought that we had lost you. Welcome back. Sorry you have photographed the wrong trunk

I use using the American nomenclature for what we Aussies refer to as the Luggage Boot. Not the Box on the luggage rack.

A common problem but thanks for your interest.

Are you still there Ben, desperately clutching onto the end of that 80ft chain?

This photo taken just one minute ago from outside my front door.

It shows the clear blue Australian sky with just a suggestion of light puffy clouds. Seen through the branches and leaves of good old Aussie Gum trees (Eucalyptus). Thought that you may enjoy actually seeing the sky.

One problem in living in "Gods own country". You forget how the rest of the world have to survive.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138865797_thumb.jpg

Bernie,

Haven't been away, just keeping a low profile.

Few more pic's, this time of the rumble seat of the Roadster although I've labled the pic's as boot(trunk)! First pic's contain the Maxwell engine when David took it down to Melbourne on his way to the Packard Rally in Tasmania last year. Then I found a couple from a few years ago sans Maxwell engine. In the third pic you can see the arm rest which folds up and sits on the side of the body for the rumbleseat passenger.

And a pic taken only minutes ago of Sydney's sky. Been wet and cool all Summer.

post-52046-143138865842_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138865845_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138865847_thumb.jpg

post-52046-14313886585_thumb.jpg

post-52046-143138865852_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mal

I have attached a brand new photograph of my car's luggage trunk.

Ahead of its time in 1923 the Body style 222 Doctors Coupe included an enclosed luggage storage space within the main body. Certainly never intended as a rumble seat, the lid hinged from the front and the actual space would never accommodate a person. This was possibly one of the first examples of purely luggage storage incorporated within the main body structure.

The hinges, stay and other associated hardware is all original. The body number and the style code are stamped down the central rib in the lid as well as on the bottom rails of both doors. How much more original can it get? I still have to attach the trim board to the underside of the lid and detail finish inside the trunk. Paint frame etc.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138865964_thumb.jpg

Thank you West.

It is always good to hear from you.

I propose to use the same dark brown carpet as in the front of the car. Plain dark brown linoleum on the drivers floor and running boards.

One step at a time...

Bernie J.

Hi all

A little job but one that had to be done and ideal for a drizzly Saturday morning.

Riveting the hood lacing onto the radiator surround.

The cowl will be a little more tricky as I will need a second pair of hands. One pair inside to spread the rivets while the other pair tap them down from outside.

Bernie J.

post-51681-14313886714_thumb.jpg

Hi Bernie,

Your bonnet lacing you have, did that come from Bill Thompson Auto Rubber or do you have a different source. I've bought some and it dosn't look wide enough. It's the same shape but unsure of the width.

Its been a wet day huh. To give the folks in the USA some idea the, on the news this morning they said the rain band in New South Wales and Victoria covers an area greater than that of the entire country of France and probably a bit of Germany thrown in for good measure.

I've been sorting out my mounting blocks for when the body is painted and the bolts as well. I'm counting down to when I ring Dave the Painter !

Looking good Bernie

Ian

Hello Ian

I have sent you an e-mail re the hood/bonnet lacing, hope that it is some help. So far we have only had the edge of the rain so not too bad. I worked at the front of the carport for most of the day but we seem to live in a little rain shadow all of our own.

Cheers

Bernie J.

Good Morning

Here in sunny if slightly damp Australia, it is now 9.00am Sunday Morning. If it seemed that I had not done a great deal of work yesterday I apologise. Most of the afternoon I spent indoors while there I finished and sent off two magazine articles one of 1550 words the other just short of 2,000 words so my time was not entirely wasted. This morning may be a good opportunity to have a clean up out in the garage. Things tend not to get put away so today is the day. I may even find the nut that secures the steering wheel.

Bernie J.