56 Roadmaster I picked up today.

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I picked up the 56 Roadmaster I've been looking at. New tires/brakes/exhaust/rebuilt carb/some other things also. Driving it home, I found the steering needs to be looked at and the brakes adjusted. Have to wait for some money to come in first though, sorta blew the whole wad. $4000, which seemed good to me, but I don't know much. Just know I like it and plan to have fun and drive it a lot. :)

Will start on the engine compartment, which is not too bad anyway. Has the original carpet, which is not worn, may re-dye it. Rear seat is fine, front one needs re-done. Only thing it really needs is new chrome trim around the right rear taillight, it is broken on top.

Jerry

post-67843-143138214439_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214442_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214443_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214445_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214447_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214448_thumb.jpg

post-67843-14313821445_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214452_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214453_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138214455_thumb.jpg

Congrats Jerry, that's a neat looking car.

As for the tail light treatment, the tail light looks generally correct for '56, but normally, I believe the chrome was deeper (probably 2 inches give or take) whereas yours appears to be quite thin. I wouldn't have thought the large series car would have been that much different than the small series. I'm not sure I'm making sense - look at the photo of my Special and you should see what I mean.

56special_rear.jpg

Guest gunjeep444

Derek,

You had me scared but I found another 56 Roadmaster pix on the net and it has the same tail light, guess they were different.

Jerry

Jerry, NICE! You seem to have 4 of the hardest things to find on these cars. The gunsight trims on top of the front fenders ( Roadmaster only trim) and a nice set of rear "J" bars on the rear bumper. The rest of the car looks really cool too. Have you seen Budd's 56 Buick site? I'm sure he'll be interested when he see this.

Congrats.

What's your plans for it, modified or stock?

Guest desotoguy46

cool car great potential there. i have a few view master slides on the oregon coast with one of these cars at the sealion caves here in florence oregon

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks guys. I took off all the stickers that he had put on it, one on the glove box must have been a 60's flower power, it was old, heat gun took care of it. Found out why the radio does not work, power line to it is unhooked, could not find the power end, guess I'll rig my own. Also the antenna was not hooked up. Will pull the dash pad and see if I can make any progress on the speedometer. Been polishing the interior/window chrome, needed it bad. Doing the cheap stuff till I get my money built back up, sorta broke now.

Guest gunjeep444

GOt it insured today. Will go get plates tomorrow, hoping to look at their list of what is available and see if a 56 or 1956 is available.

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks guys,

I got plates today, she looked thru them some and gave me CR56, so at least I got the 56 in it. Taking it to my mechanic, who is nice and old, to look it over and change oil/lube/adjust the brakes. Thing sits low so I can't get under it much. He said he'd look it all over also, for free, to give me an idea of what I need to save up for. GULP!

Guest gunjeep444

Been driving it around some, got some gas-including 5 gal of Aviation Gas they had. Sure need to get new shocks for it, first item to save up for. Auto show on Sunday, was not sure whether to enter or not. Jerry

At the start I was hesitating and not responding to this thread out of sheer insane jealousy! :D

I have to say you got a great ride for a great price.

Enjoy it in every way you can..especially by driving it and showing it!

Bring it out and show it off....

......... you will certainly win best value in show! ;)

Oh BTW are you done with you gun and mask...I may need them for my next Buick purchase

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Guest gunjeep444

I got the 56 Buick back from it's oil change and look over by my mechanic. Needs new shocks, steering is fine. I looked under it while he had it up in the air, found no rust holes anywhere. Did clean out some dirt in some spots and blew out the rocker panel drain holes. He sprayed the shock bolts with WD-40, so he can get them off later when I have dough for the shocks/install. It had gotten rained on some when I took it in, so took these shots after washing it to show the car without many of the stickers and the chrome polished up good.

post-67843-143138220506_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138220509_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138220511_thumb.jpg

Good news that shocks is all he found wrong with it!

I've just never been a big fan of tri-5 cars of any make, but I LOVE this one!

An especially nice touch are those "trunk straps".

Is the paint and chrome as nice as it looks in the photos?

Absolutely Beautiful!

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks Brian,

No, sadly the paint/chrome are not that nice. Guy I got it from painted the black over the original orange and started to paint the top black also, realized his mistake and wiped it off, but not real well. The orange is sprayed on real bad. Hope to have the money saved up for a paint job next Feb or so....will just leave the chrome, plan to drive it a lot around. I don't want a 'trailer Buick'. This is for FUN! Us old guys have to keep that in mind, may not have a lot of years left.

Guest gunjeep444

I'm very happy to have it, any flimsy excuse is good enough of a reason to drive it. I enjoy the BUick forums here also.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gunjeep444

Got the front end aligned on the Buick, MUCH better now to drive. He said it was way off. Still not as good as our 2000 era cars, but heck it's 54 years old! Took him over two hours. It sure is a hi tech job anymore with computers/etc. Good thing I had that repro shop manual for him to use, helped him a lot, since he'd never done one that old before. One adjustment screw was behind a grease zert, had to take it out to stick an allen wrench in the hole!

Jerry,

You must be near me, I'm in Kearney. I think that Roadmaster was advertised in the Hub. I did call on it, but I have too many cars already! Glad you got it bought. I think the owner said he had cut the springs, but maybe not a major deal to restore them to original height? I like everything original, but everybody has different tastes. Good luck with it, will you have it at Cruise Night in July in Kearney?

Guest gunjeep444

Hi Jack,

I'm in Lexington. Man, you do have a LOT of cars! I may come over for Cruise Night, if it's not too hot! 324-3004

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gunjeep444

I pullled the radiator out to have it re-done. WHile it's out I repainted the shroud and now cleaning the engine compartment/engne to repaint it, bit easier with the shroud and radiator out. Ordred some paint from CARS.

What is the best engine cleaner? I got some Gunk that you use on cold engines, car is in the garage and I don't want to start it up. Used some purple power cleaner stuff also I got at Walmart. Paint thinner seems to cut thru the grease about best.

I last used Greased Lightening, which cut through the grease like magic. I did find it was better to lightly scrape off all the heavy stuff and then used a new parts brush to scrub, but it left no residue. Of course it would be easiest on a warm engine.