1923 Kissel Model 55

in storage since 1976 all original needs restored :needs wood replaced motor apart, pics on request, In Fort Myers , Fl. Lee Waldren 239 989 1048 Large 4 door with side mounts wood spoke wheels

The car is on it's way to Michigan . A wonderful new owner who is going to frame off restore it. It will have a Gold bug as a mate.

Ron Hausmann is the proud new owner. He also owns a restored Gold bug Kissel Kar

Thanks to everone who has responded to my ad. Leroy

Edited by Waldren
more information (see edit history)

Lee,

I am interested. I own a 1923 model 6-45 which is a little different. Please check out my car on the web.

Please send any and all pictures, engine number (on carb side of engine plate), and body plate number (on cowl) to me at rhausmann@walbridge.com . Or call me at 313-510-8463.

will take a few days to get information This is a large 4 door with side mounts and wood wheel Laundow bars and a quarter window

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All,

I viewed this car and have purchased it with a goal to have it show-quality restored within two years. All the parts are there but it needs an awful lot of TLC. Many of the parts for this 1923 Kissel Model 6-55 Brougham Sedan are identical to those used on my 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster. 1923 was a "transition" year for Kissel, moving from their big model 6-45 engine to the shorter stroke 6-55.

The Model 6-55 is a CCCA Classic, while the bigger Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster is not; go figure.

There are only two 1923 Kissel Brougham Sedans in existence. This one which i just purchased, and one in the Wisconsin Automotive Museum. These are very pretty cars, even for enclosed models. Very interesting. Wish me luck.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

All,

The car was sitting in a garage since 1976. It is all original, and much of the metalwork is still bright. Nickeled bumpers and doors shine.That's the good news.

The top wood however needs replacing, which is a relatively easy matter as these were complete squared wood top frames. The upholstery got wet in antiquity and is also shot, although it will be used for patterns.

All the engine parts are there except for the rod that went thru the pan and the bottom of the engine block, which is why it was set aside in 1976. As tragic as that sounds, this will not be a big deal to repair. No water jacket damage! And since My stock Car mechanic and i just finished a 100% rebuild of my 1923 Kissel 6-45 engine, we will be able to make this one purr as well.

I will get pictures next week when I take possession.

Thanks, -- RON --

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Here are a few more pictures of the kissel Barn Find. The file sizes are so large that I cannot get the side views to post, but you get the picture.

It is a solid, complete, and very big beautiful 1923 Kissel Brougham Sedan. It has some rare options that i have not ever seen on a Kissel, but that would probably be expected since Kissels were"custom built" according to period literature.

It will arrive in Michigan on Monday to begin its transformation.

Thanks for all the interest.

Ron Hausmann

post-58797-143138257014_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143138257035_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143138257055_thumb.jpg